Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-01-2014, 02:08 PM

3,158 posts, read 4,592,700 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by KH02 View Post
We are gutting out kitchen and this is what we've chosen so far for it. The floor looks a bit weird now because we used a small wood sample and copied it all over the floor, so it will look more smooth when done.

Do you think everything matches and looks nice? Anything you would change? We havn't bought anything yet and have never picked things like this out before so its a bit tough to decide what looks good.
Ifeel it may be a bit too neutral. But I'm planning on painting the room a color and I feel like once you put color on your counters or back splash you are stuck with it and it's not easily changed.

Thanks!

Attachment 123034

Attachment 123035

We kinda have the same set up, here what we done and love it very functional as well...

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-01-2014, 02:26 PM

3,158 posts, read 4,592,700 times
PS~ Our kitchen not big it's 16x 26 .. I be lost without my Island, will never go without one in another kitchen! It's my work station, it eases assets to sink, dishwasher, cook top, ovens and fridge, also has power as well... As for Butcher Block? Love it, cleans up great , no stains , I do canning etc, etc ..

Old 01-01-2014, 03:12 PM

2,856 posts, read 10,436,100 times
Default Update

Okay.
Here are picture of the wood floor we are planning on doing, along with the green lantern shaped backsplash. Also attached are the cabinets we plan on using, and two choices of counter top. The consensus in my family seems to be that they like the darker countertop better. They are both silestone.

Last edited by KH02; 02-08-2019 at 05:04 AM..

Old 01-01-2014, 04:16 PM

5,046 posts, read 9,626,106 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WildCard~ View Post
We kinda have the same set up, here what we done and love it very functional as well...
This is gorgeous. I love when a kitchen can have a look of the rest of a home, with furniture like a living room.

Old 01-01-2014, 04:18 PM

5,046 posts, read 9,626,106 times
Quote:
Okay.
Here are picture of the wood floor we are planning on doing, along with the green lantern shaped backsplash. Also attached are the cabinets we plan on using, and two choices of counter top. The consensus in my family seems to be that they like the darker countertop better. They are both silestone.
What are the dimensions of your kitchen. And what are the dimensions from right countertop to left countertop and length in that way as well.

Old 01-01-2014, 04:40 PM

20,793 posts, read 61,319,403 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WildCard~ View Post
PS~ Our kitchen not big it's 16x 26 .. I be lost without my Island, will never go without one in another kitchen! It's my work station, it eases assets to sink, dishwasher, cook top, ovens and fridge, also has power as well... As for Butcher Block? Love it, cleans up great , no stains , I do canning etc, etc ..
And how many people do you have in the kitchen with you cooking with you---that's the point. It's fine for one person, but you have no real space for a second person. If you are the only on that cooks and cleans in your kitchen it's not an issue but the OP mentioned needing room for several people in the kitchen.

I miss my big island, they are wonderful if done right but narrow, small islands are just not functional.

Your kitchen is lovely and I LOVE your table!!

Old 01-01-2014, 04:40 PM

6,819 posts, read 11,550,944 times
When my SIL remodeled her kitchen, she took out the peninsula and put in an island instead. She regrets it to this day. It's too small and she lost a lot of counter space vs. the peninsula.

I was over at my cousin's today and she has a sink similar to this:

Elkay ELGULB3322 - Build.com except her 2 sinks are not equal size. What I really like is the divider between the sinks is low. Much easier for washing cookie sheets, griddles, etc.

Old 01-01-2014, 04:43 PM

20,793 posts, read 61,319,403 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Okey Dokie View Post
When my SIL remodeled her kitchen, she took out the peninsula and put in an island instead. She regrets it to this day. It's too small and she lost a lot of counter space vs. the peninsula.

Elkay ELGULB3322 - Build.com except her 2 sinks are not equal size. What I really like is the divider between the sinks is low. Much easier for washing cookie sheets, griddles, etc.
My sister has a sink like that too..they love it. You can still put water in one side to wash and have a side to rinse but still get large pans in there. I've never really had an issue with large pans though. If they need to soak I just put water in them and put them on the counter.

Old 01-01-2014, 04:50 PM

43,011 posts, read 108,071,598 times
Quote:
Okay.
Are those the only counter and flooring choices? That's what I'm not crazy about. I like the cabinets. The backsplash is tolerable.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Okey Dokie View Post

I don't like that the division is so shallow. You can't fill up each side very far.

Old 01-01-2014, 04:57 PM

11,113 posts, read 19,549,944 times
Love islands, very handy and extra storage. The OP's kitchen looks small though. On that layout I certainly would not a corner sink. (That was in reply to Richard Martin's photo idea.) If you have room, make the island countertop overhang the base by about 18" and place bar stools under it. Especially if you have teens who like to eat on the run or little ones who like to watch mom or dad cooking. You could also have an island on (locking) wheels which makes it moveable. My favorite island though was one that had a ceramic cooktop on it w/overhead vented hood, and a wall oven with built in mWave over it, vented thru the outside wall. Obviously, that one did not have an overhang for sitting at.

Even though the Arabesque tile may suit the OPs taste; I can assure you that style is over; if you have to sell 99% of buyers will reject it. Most attractive if you want a tile backsplash is 6" squares laid on the diagonal with a bullnose or rectangular strips for framing, and maybe a decorative tile here 'n there. Dark wood floors show all the dust and all the crumbs, etc. and make the room look smaller. Wood planking floor one or two shades lighter than the cabinets would be more subtle. (Always remodel with resale in mind.)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House