Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-09-2014, 07:46 PM

120 posts, read 310,057 times

Advertisements

Check out SpeedQueen - made in Wisconsin.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-09-2014, 10:17 PM

17,616 posts, read 15,321,901 times
Eh, I've got a Roper washer and dryer that I've had for going on 10 years now.. Never a problem out of them.. But.. I'm a single guy.. Not washing as many loads as a family would.

It's like anything else.. You got good, you got bad. Alot of it depends on how good or bad a day the worker was having when assembling it.

You could go out and spend $2000 on a Samsung washer/dryer and wind up with a complete POS just the same as if you spent the $700 or so the Roper combo costs.

I've got some el-cheapo Hotpoint (I think) refrigerator that I bought off Craigslist for $100 about 7 years ago.. I've had to put a new evaporator fan motor in it.. That's it.

I'm probably a little biased, because I generally work on things myself. So.. Fixing the evap fan motor on my fridge just cost me the $60 or so for the part.

As for the OP's problem. Where did the grinding/cranking noise come from? If it came from the timer, which is a real possibility.. Timers on ANY washer tend to go out over time and are really oddly expensive. If it came from the drum area.. Then you start thinking motor, which.. Is pretty major. There's not a WHOLE lot to go out on a washer. Generally your main failures are the timer.. The 'brakes' on the drum, which cause poor agitation, the drum itself rusts out, or the motor goes out (Some washers actually have a belt, but most are direct drive)

Dryers have more possibilities and things to go wrong.. Timers are still an issue.. Most newer ones have a humidity sensor that tends to fail, which causes your 'automatic drying' to stop working. Most of those still have a belt which can/will break.. You have multiple bearings.. One on the back of the drum, one on the pulley of the motor.. Then the motor itself. The heating elements.. And, while this seems odd.. I've seen it more times than I care to think of.. A really common problem is that the power cord 'fails'.. Someone either when initially hooking up the cord, or when changing it from a 3 prong to 4 prong (or vice versa) doesn't torque down the screws on the connecting block, and you wind up with an arc and melting the connectors.

Old 01-10-2014, 12:40 AM

5,128 posts, read 9,855,450 times
I have a Speed Queen W&D. When I was shopping around, I read the customer reviews online at Consumer Reports. The SQ was the highest rated among consumers, and I see why.

Old 01-10-2014, 06:51 AM

109 posts, read 325,856 times
It has been working just fine since I bought the combo. It has been 8 years or so.

But, anyways, I don't have the money to buy anything right now. Everything is falling apart as it is. VW van is leaking anti-freeze, hope it will be covered under warranty. Roof on my house are curling and the shed needs complete new roofing. Window in living room is leaking. I almost thought the hvac was out, too, but thankfully it came back on after the freeze. I am unemployed and I am behind on house and van payments. Soooo, this just was the icing on the cake because I got a 4 yo and 2 yo (who's potty training is taking too long). And we have to wash clothes at least once or twice a week.

Old 01-10-2014, 07:50 AM

19,719 posts, read 16,874,491 times
Youtube is your friend. Our washer quit working and I watched a few videos on how to diagnose my model machine and found it was an $8 part. Anytime I am trying to do something or fix something I haven't done before I automatically look on Youtube and there will be lots of videos there on that subject.

Here is just one sampling for your Roper.

roper washing machine repair - YouTube

Don

Old 01-10-2014, 08:23 AM

Well, heck it started working again. Geezz, I sound like a troll with these posts lately about things that don't work but then works all of a sudden, but I assure you I am not. Thank you, though.

Old 01-10-2014, 08:51 AM

19,719 posts, read 16,874,491 times
Sometimes washers will get stuck between cycles for some unknown reason. I have come out and found my washer full of water and had to run it through another cycle to get it to drain. Usually the timer gets screwed up momentarily, then clears itself out somehow.

That, or maybe your machine is possessed !

Don

Old 01-10-2014, 10:31 AM

17,616 posts, read 15,321,901 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by adk34 View Post
Well, heck it started working again. Geezz, I sound like a troll with these posts lately about things that don't work but then works all of a sudden, but I assure you I am not. Thank you, though.
"Have you tried turning it off and back on again?"

lol.. I actually wouldn't have thought of that, but unplugging it for a few minutes is a valid test. The timer is getting power whenever it's plugged in.. I can buy how unplugging it might remove that power and 'clear' the problem.

Old 01-10-2014, 04:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by don1945 View Post
Sometimes washers will get stuck between cycles for some unknown reason. I have come out and found my washer full of water and had to run it through another cycle to get it to drain. Usually the timer gets screwed up momentarily, then clears itself out somehow.

That, or maybe your machine is possessed !

Don
I think that's what happened, too, and funny you mentioned it but I thought the whole was possessed with everything going on lately.

lol.. I actually wouldn't have thought of that, but unplugging it for a few minutes is a valid test. The timer is getting power whenever it's plugged in.. I can buy how unplugging it might remove that power and 'clear' the problem.

Yes, I have unplugged and plugged it back in yesterday but it didn't work. Today I pulled the knob again and it worked. I don't know, I am just glad it's working.

Old 01-10-2014, 05:54 PM

37,147 posts, read 41,343,367 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by adk34 View Post
I think that's what happened, too, and funny you mentioned it but I thought the whole was possessed with everything going on lately.

Yes, I have unplugged and plugged it back in yesterday but it didn't work. Today I pulled the knob again and it worked. I don't know, I am just glad it's working.
When the timer on my washer went out, the problem was intermittent, too. Sometimes I could get it to work and sometimes I couldn't. Mine would stop right at the beginning of the final spin.

Whether unplugging it would work depends on whether the problem is electronic or not, I think. If it is mechanical wear (what happened to my Kenmore), I would not expect it to have any effect.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House