Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-12-2014, 12:58 PM

182 posts, read 94,464 times

Advertisements

OK, now you have me wanting a central vacuum system!! We have a large german shepherd and the dog hair drives me out of my mind. Talking my husband into it is a different story !! BTW I have a dyson and I really like it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-12-2014, 01:06 PM

2,668 posts, read 4,504,648 times
We have a Dyson DC 25 Animal. Had it for over 4 years now and love it. Cleans up everything, and the allergy kit helps us get in other areas very well. Simple to operate, easy to clean and maintain.

Old 03-12-2014, 01:50 PM

1,395 posts, read 5,088,683 times
I just got back from my browsing of vacuums. Knowledge Bldr sorry! I figured there were newer models out than any older discussions, but I'll admit I didn't look first to see. Guilty. Sorry! lol

Went to a Mom & Pop place that sells and services vacuums. He reccomended a Miele Titan for about $600. I'm sure it's an excellant, but that's pricey & do I want bags and filters to change? Not really. Haven't ruled it out tho.

The Shark Rotator Lift Away Professional was checked out.... I didn't like the feel of it at all. It was ackward. My husband still thinks it's the best option. He said the reviews said it took some getting used to.

And the guy at the Mom & Pop place said most of the machines he gets in for repair are Dysons. I don't think that really means much. Dysons are expensive and I think people are more apt to repair them than toss them and buy a new one. Whereas with a cheaper machine they may just buy a new one than to deal with repairs.
He did say that I had one of the Dyson that they made the right way (older model) before they started messing them up with the ball.

So there's that. I just cleaned my Dyson all up. Brushbar is free of hair and I cleaned the filter & the cyclone thingermajig. I will put it all back together again and hope it keeps truckin' along for a bit longer.

Hopefully after a good cleaning it'll work better. I feel like I just did this not long ago, but it was needed.

Old 03-12-2014, 02:58 PM

374 posts, read 492,849 times
Love my Dyson. Had it for 10 years, now getting another to use on the other floors. What Dyson does everyone like best for wood floors. My Dyson was worth every dime, and then some. It has never gave me problems in all these years, and is great for allergies. I did have a Central Vac and did like it, in my other home. But Dyson is hands down for me.

Old 03-12-2014, 03:31 PM

43,011 posts, read 108,140,913 times
Miele is awesome! Unfortunately, I need bagless too. I'd go broke buying bags with all of this pet hair.

Consider buying a different Dyson. I have the canister animal. It's really great. By getting a canister, you're adding different capability than the upright has. I think every house should have an upright and a canister. As a result, I'll be buying an upright when I'm ready to add another one.

I didn't lie the shark at all.

Old 03-12-2014, 03:35 PM

43,011 posts, read 108,140,913 times
This is my canister. It's great.

Old 03-12-2014, 04:11 PM

1,365 posts, read 1,886,755 times
Central vac! I grew up in a house with central vac, and since I moved out permanently several years ago I miss it Every. Single. Time. that I vacuum. Suction is so much stronger than any portable vacuum that I have ever used. It's lightweight, portable, and the long hose means you can clean *anywhere*...ceilings, tops of drapes, under furniture just inches off the ground. I love my 1920s bungalow, but it does make me sad that it would be prohibitively difficult to ever add central vac. If it is an option for you, go for it!

Old 03-12-2014, 04:25 PM

1,571 posts, read 2,820,168 times
For what it's worth, I have a vacuum that uses a bag, and I love it over my old bagless. I hated that with the bagless, a plume of dust would always come up out of it whenever I detached it from the vacuum, and I'd have to empty it into a sack outside because of the plumes of dust that would come up, and then I always felt like I was covered in dust afterwards. With the bag, I just pop it off, throw it in the trash, and pop on a new one. Although your bagless may not send up plumes of dust - I had a much cheaper vacuum than a Dyson.

Old 03-12-2014, 05:20 PM

1,322 posts, read 3,477,957 times
I have a Shark Lift Away that I purchased about 3 years ago and I love it. No matter what machine you buy, there will be something that does not feel right. I admit that the use of the attachments took some time to get use to but at a quarter of the price of a Dyson, I have a vacuum that picks up dog hair etc on a daily basis. If it dies tomorrow, I feel as though I got my money's worth.

Old 03-12-2014, 06:38 PM

31,950 posts, read 27,074,534 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopes View Post
Miele is awesome! Unfortunately, I need bagless too. I'd go broke buying bags with all of this pet hair.

Consider buying a different Dyson. I have the canister animal. It's really great. By getting a canister, you're adding different capability than the upright has. I think every house should have an upright and a canister. As a result, I'll be buying an upright when I'm ready to add another one.

I didn't lie the shark at all.
Recently purchased a Miele stick vacuum and quite honestly the thing is a joke.

For all the "German" quality first thing one noticed "made in China" printed on the box. Wanted something for quick pick ups and floor (ours are mainly hardwood with few rugs, no carpeting)cleaning between hauling out the big gun (older Panasonic upright), and have found this Miele stick leaves much to be desired.

Suction power is "alright" but takes several passes to pick up things like rice, oats or Cherrios. Things my old Regina "Electrik Broom" sucks up the first time. Inside the bag does not always line up/fit onto the incoming opening for dust. This means often some of what has been taken in rattles around inside the canister. After using this Miele to clean up some spilled oats (was making oatmeal) was surprised later to hear oats rattling around inside the unit. Opened it up and there was oats every where and not just in the bag.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House