Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-12-2014, 07:22 PM

1,395 posts, read 5,088,683 times

Advertisements

So I went back and searched the forum for vacuum threads. I read a couple, but no one mentioned the Shark Liftaway Rotator.

So those of you all with the Shark, did it take some time to get used to? It just feels strange to me when I tried it in the store. I watched a you tube video and I really like how you can convert it from an upright vac into a canister vac. That was cool. I like the versatility.

The Dyson upright I have is pretty verstile, but when I try to use the hose with the attachments the vacuum falls over or the hose doesn't seem to be long enough and it's annoying.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-12-2014, 07:52 PM

8,610 posts, read 7,905,450 times
Bought a Rainbow in 1988 and it still runs great. I learned how to maintain it and have gotten updated parts for it to make it better. No bags, plumes of dust or replaceable filters of any kind. A quart of tap water is a great filter.
It also works as a great wet vac as it will suck up liquid as well. I used it the other day as a water supply hose to the washer blew and water was gushing. I got the water up easily. It beats a shop vac in the home basement when picking up water because I can dump the water outside without having to wheel a 35gal container to a door and hope I can get it up the steps.

You can buy a used one in good shape at vac shops, yards sales, flea markets, etc. I knew an old guy who would buy them when in FLA for the winter and bring them back north to sell them.

Old 03-12-2014, 08:42 PM

16,825 posts, read 17,756,788 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KellyCrash View Post
I currently have a Dyson that I purchased at least 10 years ago if not longer. So based on some quick research it could be old as 13 years old. I can't remember when we bought it.

It works okay. It's due for a cleaning right now. The beater bar is covered in hair.

So, I've been itching for a central vac since we saw how affordable they are at a homeshow. I was quoted a special homeshow pricing of $1600 installed (we already have all the tubing just not a system). But the husband nixed the central vac. I guess he read some stuff that led him to believe they weren't money well spent or something. I've read mixed reviews. People either love it or hate it.

So.... That brings me to reading up on regular portable vacuums.

Miele seems to be the best of the best, but I prefer a bagless vac. Doesn't seem like they make one. They're really expensive & add to that the cost of bags... Not sure I want to go there. Doesn't appeal to me.

Another Dyson? Expensive and I already have one. Has the technology improved a lot since the last one I bought? The husband & I have been married for almost 15 years. We've only ever owned 1 vacuum we purchased ourself. The first one we had was a Kenmore hand me down from my Mom. It was fine, but I wanted the newer / bagless Dyson.

I've been looking at the Shark Rotator Professional Lift Away & this one really appeals to me, but I'm leery of the Shark brand. I'm not sure if it has the quality I'm looking for. I did read something that said the Shark isn't as good as the Dyson, but for the price it's an excellant value.

Thoughts?? I think I just probably just clean up my Dyson (I do this frequently it seems like) & keep using it. The reason I'm thinking of buying a new vac is because it doesn't seem like it starts picking up right away. It seems like it takes a few mins for suction to engage and start picking up.

Also when I cleaned my carpets just a few days ago, my carpet cleaner was clogged with dog hair. I thoroughly vacuumed before cleaning. So obviously my vacuum is missing a lot.

Also - do you prefer a upright or canister? Why do you prefer one over the other?
Have you had the dyson tuned up? Makes a world of difference.

Old 03-12-2014, 09:18 PM

43,011 posts, read 108,140,913 times
Quote:
The Dyson upright I have is pretty verstile, but when I try to use the hose with the attachments the vacuum falls over or the hose doesn't seem to be long enough and it's annoying.
That's why I bought the canister version of Dyson.

Old 03-12-2014, 09:30 PM

wooo... I've never heard of a vacuum tune up. What does that involve?

Old 03-12-2014, 09:53 PM

43,011 posts, read 108,140,913 times
Quote:
wooo... I've never heard of a vacuum tune up. What does that involve?
You can do it yourself and save tons of money.

How to Clean Your Dyson!!! - YouTube

Old 03-12-2014, 10:07 PM

Ahhh... That's a tune up? I just did all of that today. I do it pretty often. Kinda cool.

Old 03-12-2014, 10:10 PM

3,158 posts, read 4,597,342 times
Quote:
I currently have a Dyson that I purchased at least 10 years ago if not longer. So based on some quick research it could be old as 13 years old. I can't remember when we bought it.

It works okay. It's due for a cleaning right now. The beater bar is covered in hair.

So, I've been itching for a central vac since we saw how affordable they are at a homeshow. I was quoted a special homeshow pricing of $1600 installed (we already have all the tubing just not a system). But the husband nixed the central vac. I guess he read some stuff that led him to believe they weren't money well spent or something. I've read mixed reviews. People either love it or hate it.

So.... That brings me to reading up on regular portable vacuums.

Miele seems to be the best of the best, but I prefer a bagless vac. Doesn't seem like they make one. They're really expensive & add to that the cost of bags... Not sure I want to go there. Doesn't appeal to me.

Another Dyson? Expensive and I already have one. Has the technology improved a lot since the last one I bought? The husband & I have been married for almost 15 years. We've only ever owned 1 vacuum we purchased ourself. The first one we had was a Kenmore hand me down from my Mom. It was fine, but I wanted the newer / bagless Dyson.

I've been looking at the Shark Rotator Professional Lift Away & this one really appeals to me, but I'm leery of the Shark brand. I'm not sure if it has the quality I'm looking for. I did read something that said the Shark isn't as good as the Dyson, but for the price it's an excellant value.

Thoughts?? I think I just probably just clean up my Dyson (I do this frequently it seems like) & keep using it. The reason I'm thinking of buying a new vac is because it doesn't seem like it starts picking up right away. It seems like it takes a few mins for suction to engage and start picking up.

Also when I cleaned my carpets just a few days ago, my carpet cleaner was clogged with dog hair. I thoroughly vacuumed before cleaning. So obviously my vacuum is missing a lot.

Also - do you prefer a upright or canister? Why do you prefer one over the other?
We owned a home that came with built in central vac, to be honesty I hated it, had drag this long heavy hoes around to each room..I end up using my up right...

Old 03-12-2014, 10:21 PM

5,717 posts, read 18,955,540 times
If you have a dog hair issue I would not suggest a central system. The hair has been known to eventually clog the lines. Sometimes they can fish enough of it out to clean it and sometimes you get to cut a wall open. My uncle has one and uses his Kirby instead. You can also buy a used Kirby at a pawn shop for about $100.00, take it to a Kirby dealer and have them do a complete rebuild on it for another $100.00 and you won't live long enough to wear it out. Just make sure it's a clean unit and is all metal. The only issue with one is they tend to be heavy compared to the plastic crap. My Kirby goes with a bag or it also is bagless. Works with a beater bar/brush or not. You can attach a hose or even a furniture shampoo unit to it. Mine even has a spray paint outfit that I've never used. But there's nothing better than a Kirby.

Old 03-13-2014, 12:30 AM

5,128 posts, read 9,855,450 times
Miele, canister with bags. Love it!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House