Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-10-2014, 01:24 PM

26,694 posts, read 14,565,372 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by George Chong View Post
^^ This

My house was built in 1990 with a microwave over the range. It does not vent outside either
Not sure who came up with that kind of design.

1. The person must have never cooked in his life. I assume it must be a man because no woman engine would not be that stupid.

2. The heat would stay in the room no matter how you circulate it. That's a waste during summer time when the AC is on.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-10-2014, 02:15 PM

14,249 posts, read 14,740,927 times
My last two homes had the stove on an inside wall and cathedral ceilings so it was impossible to vent outside and I so wanted that feature.

Old 05-10-2014, 03:19 PM

1,971 posts, read 3,044,268 times
Hardly anyone cooks enough for a hood to be necessary. Most people just boil water on the stove and make frozen pizza in the oven.

Old 05-10-2014, 03:56 PM

20,293 posts, read 37,183,750 times
As I mentioned before, when you come upon one of those places that have a microwave above the stove and you don't want a kitchen where the exhaust is recirculated by the microwave oven and blown back into the kitchen, do the following (or have a person who knows how taking care of it for you): inspect the microwave oven to see if it has been installed so that it exhausts the air out of the kitchen, to the outdoors. This inspection would be "child's play" to the right person.

Old 05-10-2014, 06:05 PM

34,279 posts, read 19,371,187 times
I've got a microwave above the stove, and it pushes air up a vent and outside. It actually worked pretty well until one of my kids broke the handle....and then the replacement handle...and then ANOTHER replacement handle.

Turns out all the replacement handles were built at about the same time as the microwave, and age has made them brittle. So now im working on replacing the microwave.

That being said....I like how it works, and it keeps things more compact.

Old 05-10-2014, 07:41 PM

548 posts, read 816,407 times
I see this arrangement in a lot of the houses we've been looking at -- all old houses, but with remodelled kitchens. Agree with you about not liking it! We cook a lot, so I see these disadvantages:

1) Often they are only recirculating, not outside venting, even if on an exterior wall

2) Even if exterior venting, they aren't all that powerful at moving air

3) I too worry about high heat on the microwave long term

4) Quite often we using both the range and microwave while making a meal, and having both in same place is awkward -- not pleasant taking stuff in/out of the microwave if you've got several high burners on the stove, and would be crowded if one of us is working a sauce and searing something and the other was trying to get veggies out of 'wave at same time.

We take it as a given we'd change out for a real hood. I'm told that if against an exterior wall and it's just a basic wall, $500 should easily cover punching a hole and installing (plus the hood cost).

Old 05-10-2014, 08:34 PM

13 posts, read 15,891 times
I want a real range hood, not a microwave combo. I reject all the combo ovens my real estate agent sends me.

Old 05-10-2014, 11:10 PM

43,011 posts, read 108,049,575 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Westerwald View Post
I want a real range hood, not a microwave combo. I reject all the combo ovens my real estate agent sends me.
That's a very silly reason to not consider a house. It's a simple change you could include in your offer.

Old 05-11-2014, 08:26 AM

26,694 posts, read 14,565,372 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopes View Post
That's a very silly reason to not consider a house. It's a simple change you could include in your offer.
Even for high rise buildings?

Old 05-11-2014, 09:05 AM

1,899 posts, read 3,958,591 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PNW-type-gal View Post
Some of those microwaves do have ducted venting (and some are just recirculating).

I am just finishing up a partial remodel to add a range hood in a kitchen which someone else remodeled and removed the range hood - it required putting in a roof vent as well. I also had to replace the bathroom fan, which just vented INTO THE ATTIC. Morons.
What's wrong with venting a bathroom fan into a large attic? Such a small amount of moisture into a large attic shouldn't do anything. There's probably more humidity coming in on a rainy day from the crack between the shingles and the gutters.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rzzz View Post
Hardly anyone cooks enough for a hood to be necessary. Most people just boil water on the stove and make frozen pizza in the oven.
I agree. It's very rare that we have more than two burners going. If the OP's chief complaint while looking at a house is a venting microwave, he/she must have it pretty good.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House