Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-11-2014, 09:26 AM

22,594 posts, read 47,689,519 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geneyus View Post
What's wrong with venting a bathroom fan into a large attic?
It's against code...

http://blog.sls-construction.com/201...xhaust-venting
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-11-2014, 09:45 AM

4,625 posts, read 12,298,352 times
Yes, Pitt Chick is correct, and here's the actual code section.

Chapter 15 - Exhaust Systems

Pitt Chick, for you!

International

Old 05-11-2014, 02:52 PM

2,052 posts, read 5,874,625 times
We couldn't stand the over the range microwave for the same reasons, plus cooking with large pots was a bit more awkward. So we moved the microwave over to an adjoining cabinet that happened to be the exact right width. Since I had to remove the cabinet from the wall to cut out the center bar on the bottom half and cut down the doors, I removed a 3" filler piece and added 3" to the back of the cabinet and was able to flush mount the microwave in the cabinet. Flush mounting is not necessary, but IMO it looks better and was worth the effort. It allowed us to keep the microwave and put in a regular vent hood.

If a home has the room to move the microwave, it is certainly a good option. The builders installed the microwaves in a similar fashion in other homes in our neighborhood and those are what gave me the idea. But theirs do stick out 2-3" just like when installed over the range.

Last edited by trbstang; 05-11-2014 at 03:02 PM..

Old 05-11-2014, 04:42 PM

24,873 posts, read 36,181,169 times
They are thinking that they need a microwave and there is no place else to put it and/or it was never vented to the outside and has always been a microhood. We have one. It is what came with the house, and I can only assume the house was built that way. No one changed out an outside venting hood for a microwave.

Old 05-11-2014, 09:04 PM

22,662 posts, read 24,610,454 times
YES, I live in a dumpy apartment.

In the "remodeled" section they put a non-vented fan over the stove area. Basically a fan that pulls air through a little filter in order to, LOL, recirculate the smoke and cooking odors.

I live in the non-remodeled section............the cooking area has nothing to remove smoke/odors, no vented fan....not even a "fake" fan. So when I cook....even a little smoke will stink the place up.

Old 05-11-2014, 11:23 PM

20,293 posts, read 37,194,364 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by trbstang View Post
We couldn't stand the over the range microwave for the same reasons, plus cooking with large pots was a bit more awkward. So we moved the microwave over to an adjoining cabinet that happened to be the exact right width. Since I had to remove the cabinet from the wall to cut out the center bar on the bottom half and cut down the doors, I removed a 3" filler piece and added 3" to the back of the cabinet and was able to flush mount the microwave in the cabinet. Flush mounting is not necessary, but IMO it looks better and was worth the effort. It allowed us to keep the microwave and put in a regular vent hood.

If a home has the room to move the microwave, it is certainly a good option. The builders installed the microwaves in a similar fashion in other homes in our neighborhood and those are what gave me the idea. But theirs do stick out 2-3" just like when installed over the range.
Looks good that way

Old 07-29-2014, 01:56 AM

13 posts, read 15,894 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopes View Post
That's a very silly reason to not consider a house. It's a simple change you could include in your offer.
Range hood combos are indicative of a small kitchen done to save space. I also find them in cheap flipped houses.
I have no interest in either.

Old 07-29-2014, 06:05 AM

24,201 posts, read 19,219,950 times
Range hood microwave combos are very popular even in non-dumpy kitchens because many people don't cook enough to care and/or they prefer the extra cabinet space.

Whether you can put one into a high rise building depends on the construction. They *can* construct a high rise with duct work to externally vent hoods and other exhaust fans, but it's a lot more expensive to do so. You'd be more likely to find it in buildings that were originally constructed as luxury condos, and less likely if they are converted older buildings.

The odds aren't going to be with you, but it's something I'd ask about when you see units you are interested in, knowing that you may have to rule out most of them, but hopefully you'll get lucky with a few.

Old 07-29-2014, 08:56 AM

906 posts, read 1,767,527 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Geneyus View Post
What's wrong with venting a bathroom fan into a large attic? Such a small amount of moisture into a large attic shouldn't do anything. There's probably more humidity coming in on a rainy day from the crack between the shingles and the gutters.
Not only is it against code, but in cold climates it can cause a huge amount of damage. The moisture being released in a cold attic in winter can cause frost to accumulate in your attic, which will eventually melt and cause water damage. The warm air from a bathroom fan can also cause ice dams.

Old 07-29-2014, 09:02 AM

906 posts, read 1,767,527 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrWillys View Post
Retro fitting a filtered vent (allowed by code) to a piped to the exterior can be a challenge in a single family dwelling let alone a high rise. What type of wall construction must be penetrated, and access to the exterior work area should be planned in advance, and may prove to be cost prohibitive.
+1 to this advise. We have a SFH with no vent hood, and trying to get one installed was challenging. We couldn't have an overhead hood because our ceiling joists ran in the wrong direction (would had to have installed soffits with major modifications to cabinets, which was obviously not desirable). We ended up having to install a downdraft system which meant tearing apart our finished basement ceiling. While we are now enjoying have some ventilation, it was an extremely expensive project that I doubt we'll get back on resale.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House