Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-21-2007, 11:33 AM

3,517 posts, read 13,257,254 times

Advertisements

I love those swiffer type cloths too. My allergist said to use those or a damp cloth - never any other dry type cloth because the dust isn't really picked up.

I was always taught to dust last because all the other cleaning would stir up the dust. But maybe the advent of the HEPA filter vacs changes that?

One of the things I changed from what my mother taught me is I don't change out sheets with another set. I finally decided they were my sheets and I could wear them out if I wanted. Not having to fold sheets saves a lot of time. They get washed and dried and back onto the bed. I told my mother I had defied her and she said the only reason she did it that way was her mother insisted on it. So she quit the folding too.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-21-2007, 11:39 AM

1,263 posts, read 4,947,666 times
any tips on removing oil stain from a driveway? I had company over and their car leaked oil on my brand new driveway I have tried Clorox Bleach, Oxy-clean, it hasn't come off any advice would be helpful thanks

Old 12-21-2007, 11:55 AM

41,948 posts, read 75,153,734 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nynraleigh View Post
any tips on removing oil stain from a driveway?
You need a detergent of some sort -- dishwashing liquid, dishwasher detergent -- and not bleach. All bleach does is pollute the groundwater.

Or perhaps something like Goo Gone. I've also heard that Coke will dissolve an oil stain (which doesn't make me want to drink the stuff! ), or scrubbing with a thick paste of baking soda will do the trick.

Or, you could try scrubbing with shaving cream!

Old 12-21-2007, 12:49 PM

200 posts, read 888,049 times
Speaking of shaving cream....if you want to keep your bathroom mirror from fogging up while you take a hot shower, clean the mirror first, then apply a layer of shaving cream. Wipe off with a clean dry towel (do not use a cleaner, it will undo your work!). Next time you shower, no foggy mirror!

Old 12-21-2007, 05:01 PM

2,976 posts, read 13,371,225 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nynraleigh View Post
any tips on removing oil stain from a driveway? I had company over and their car leaked oil on my brand new driveway I have tried Clorox Bleach, Oxy-clean, it hasn't come off any advice would be helpful thanks

Kitty Litter is supposed to work wonders (really) also auto places have a product for this as well.

Old 12-26-2007, 11:29 AM

1,216 posts, read 5,773,334 times
with the holidays .... much of the 'spot cleaning' i needed to do got put on hold ... and since i do not have SNW in the house ... and don't dare go to WallyWorld or any other store til after new years .... some of the things i wanted to try are still on hold.

Once my kids are back in school, i will be cleaning their bedroom carpets .... hopefully the SNW works well in there, since the "please do NOT eat or drink in your bedroom" rule only worked for a few years..... there are plenty of spots that need to be cleaned.

so i am hoping the SNW works wonders. .... i'm really not ready to replace carpeting yet. [house is only 6.5yrs old]

**plus, bumping this back to Page1

OH -- i have been using the vinegar in the dishwasher and washing machines softener cycle.

Old 12-26-2007, 12:27 PM

35,879 posts, read 77,464,470 times
Default Hope SnW works for you!

Quote:
Originally Posted by tcs1366 View Post
with the holidays .... much of the 'spot cleaning' i needed to do got put on hold ... and since i do not have SNW in the house ... and don't dare go to WallyWorld or any other store til after new years .... some of the things i wanted to try are still on hold.

Once my kids are back in school, i will be cleaning their bedroom carpets .... hopefully the SNW works well in there, since the "please do NOT eat or drink in your bedroom" rule only worked for a few years..... there are plenty of spots that need to be cleaned.

so i am hoping the SNW works wonders. .... i'm really not ready to replace carpeting yet. [house is only 6.5yrs old]

**plus, bumping this back to Page1

OH -- i have been using the vinegar in the dishwasher and washing machines softener cycle.
I have already used my SnW today on the carpet today! Inevitable - spills w/ the holidays! Hope it helps you w/ your clean up . . .

Got a question: What do others do to clean storm doors/windows? My doggie sneezes on the storm door glass and it is so hard to get it off - seems to streak no matter what I do. I have used the typical Windex type stuff and then paid more for some stuff that I got at Lowe's - supposed to do a better job - but I still have streaks.

What am I doing wrong? I used paper towels. With cold weather, the glass is so cold - I am wondering if that is part of the problem?

So any suggestions how to get my storm door (and any windows that have doggie's dribble on them) really clean w/o streaking?

Old 12-26-2007, 04:38 PM

1,216 posts, read 5,773,334 times
sudsy ammonia and water .. probably a 10:1 mixture ... though i rarely measure.
then i use lint free clothes .... when i was a lil kid, the old grandpa across the street told my mom the best way was, the ammonia, water and newspaper to dry.

I think I have used vinegar too before .... and all those "streak free" products at the store... they dont work ... so i just find something from my kitchen.

i rarely have newspaper, but i have used it, and it does leave it streak free. DH likes to use it on his car windshield.

I get the dog nose-smutz ... that can be hard to get off too.

Old 12-26-2007, 05:44 PM

3,517 posts, read 13,257,254 times
Vinegar and water for glass; you might have to scrub some things or take a razor blade to it. Then dry it off with crumpled newspaper. Don't wash in the sun. I don't use ammonia because it is so nasty and can give me an asthma attack. The sudsy ammonia has detergent in it and won't be streak free.

Old 12-27-2007, 11:32 AM

35,879 posts, read 77,464,470 times
Default Nose-smutz - love that!

Quote:
Originally Posted by tcs1366 View Post
sudsy ammonia and water .. probably a 10:1 mixture ... though i rarely measure.
then i use lint free clothes .... when i was a lil kid, the old grandpa across the street told my mom the best way was, the ammonia, water and newspaper to dry.

I think I have used vinegar too before .... and all those "streak free" products at the store... they dont work ... so i just find something from my kitchen.

i rarely have newspaper, but i have used it, and it does leave it streak free. DH likes to use it on his car windshield.

I get the dog nose-smutz ... that can be hard to get off too.
Now I have a new term for the doggie mess!!! I love that! LOL!!! I am going right now to get the old T-shirts to use. Also, grabbing today's paper to follow up if I still have problems!

Thank you, TCS!!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House