Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-21-2015, 06:23 AM

4,187 posts, read 11,925,064 times

Advertisements

Quote:
We are working full time trying to save up to build a house
This doesn't make sense. You are both working so the money you bring in should be put toward the first priority. A minimum standard of living.

Quote:
Instead of trying to pack all our dishes down and to the main house, is there a way to clean dishes without running water? It doesn't help that the in-laws do not do their dishes, and i end up having to do theirs just to do mine.
What's wrong with doing their dishes too if you get to use their running water to do dishes?

Old 01-21-2015, 06:34 AM

12,755 posts, read 9,642,888 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sj08054 View Post

What's wrong with doing their dishes too if you get to use their running water to do dishes?
I have to agree with this. If someone was allowing me to stay somewhere for free so I could save money, I would be more than happy to clean their dishes as a token of my appreciation.

But, that's just me.

Old 01-21-2015, 06:46 AM

18 posts, read 32,005 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fox Terrier View Post
I have to agree with this. If someone was allowing me to stay somewhere for free so I could save money, I would be more than happy to clean their dishes as a token of my appreciation.

But, that's just me.
We pay rent, and im a caregiver for one of my part time jobs.. i clean all day already. To get home with a sink piled high full of crusted, moldy, weeks worth of dishes for 4 other people (not counting my husband and i) I already clean their two bathrooms, mop/sweep/vacuum their floors. Also if i need to do a load of laundry i have to switch over their moldy wet clothes (because they just leave it in the washer) and fold their clothes, or do it like they do and throw it in a big pile on top.

On top of that i have to keep our place clean as well.

Usually i tend to avoid going into the house at all, except to clean it and take a shower/laundry. I used to clean their dishes everyday, but after getting multiple part time jobs i just dont have the time anymore. I'm a clean freak and just walking in makes me go crazy.

Not to mention, no one in that house works. They can find the time to clean up after themselves.

Last edited by kirinafa; 01-21-2015 at 07:17 AM..

Old 01-21-2015, 06:53 AM

587 posts, read 915,268 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kirinafa View Post
Instead of trying to pack all our dishes down and to the main house, is there a way to clean dishes without running water? It doesn't help that the in-laws do not do their dishes, and i end up having to do theirs just to do mine.
I use those disposable lysol wipes when camping, the dual action ones that have a scrubby side. They disinfect and haven't poisoned us yet. I use similar wipes for hand washing (the kind made for skin). It would probably cost you $10 a month.

Plan your meals strategically. It took me a lot of camping before I figured out that I had to add the clean up hassle factor into the planning. There are a lot of foods that don't require much in the way of plates or pots and pans when you start to brainstorm.

Old 01-21-2015, 07:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kayekaye View Post
Yes to the above ideas. Why are you living like this and for how long? Do you have children living like this? Please get some help from your county or state. This doesn't seem healthy at all.

I just saw your other post about building your house. I still think this is no way to live until this house is built. If you did not consider the camping equipment solution this is not very well thought through. Are you in a moderate climate that you can live in a garage? Why can't you put in some plumbing to the garage and get that going as long as there is going to be a house. I must say for an engineer this doesn't seem like a very viable plan to live without plumbing (and heat?) until a house is built. Please get some help, emotionally if not physically.
No children, unless you count our dogs. We've been living like this for as long as i've known my husband, around three years. And i should explain alittle better, we live in a garage but its a little room upstairs. It has carpet/flooring, ac unit during summer and has a heater year round.

Things are looking up, we bought the land a month ago and just started putting in a fence for the dogs. Starting on foundation in the coming months, after things start drying up.

Old 01-21-2015, 07:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacqueg View Post
You have electricity right? An electric kettle will heat water faster than a stove. Empty the hot water into your dishpan, then start a new kettle right away. Wear good thick kitchen gloves, wash some dishes in hot soapy water, by the time you get some done, the next kettle will be ready, pick up the item to be rinsed, pour a little hot water on it to rinse it, letting the rinse water run into the dishpan. Repeat.

The water will be plenty hot enough to cut grease and kill germs.

Yes, I've done this many times!
Fantastic idea, thank you! I'm looking at some portable wash basins now and the kettle would be a real easy way to get hot water.

Old 01-21-2015, 07:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by harlowvart View Post
I use those disposable lysol wipes when camping, the dual action ones that have a scrubby side. They disinfect and haven't poisoned us yet. I use similar wipes for hand washing (the kind made for skin). It would probably cost you $10 a month.

Plan your meals strategically. It took me a lot of camping before I figured out that I had to add the clean up hassle factor into the planning. There are a lot of foods that don't require much in the way of plates or pots and pans when you start to brainstorm.
I was doing that for a bit until my husband saw me doing it. Chemicals and whatnot, he does not want me using them anymore.

Old 01-21-2015, 08:22 AM

12,755 posts, read 9,642,888 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kirinafa View Post
We pay rent, and im a caregiver for one of my part time jobs.. i clean all day already. To get home with a sink piled high full of crusted, moldy, weeks worth of dishes for 4 other people (not counting my husband and i) I already clean their two bathrooms, mop/sweep/vacuum their floors. Also if i need to do a load of laundry i have to switch over their moldy wet clothes (because they just leave it in the washer) and fold their clothes, or do it like they do and throw it in a big pile on top.

On top of that i have to keep our place clean as well.

Usually i tend to avoid going into the house at all, except to clean it and take a shower/laundry. I used to clean their dishes everyday, but after getting multiple part time jobs i just dont have the time anymore. I'm a clean freak and just walking in makes me go crazy.

Not to mention, no one in that house works. They can find the time to clean up after themselves.
I understand better now. In your first post you said you were living there to save money so I wrongly assumed living in a garage would be free.

That would drive me nuts, too.

Good luck...hang in there!
(and maybe get your husband to help; he's benefitting also, no?)

Old 01-21-2015, 08:49 AM

21,884 posts, read 12,936,608 times
I love this post. I've considered renting out my house (the upper floor) and living in essentially one room in the basement with windows and exterior access -- it would be called a studio in NY or Paris -- with just an incinerating, composting, or "camper's" toilet; microwave; mini-fridge; and a small sink installed. Good for you for being willing to sacrifice now to achieve your dream! More of us need to learn to live minimally rather than requiring ridiculous McMansions. You go!

Old 01-21-2015, 08:51 AM

21,884 posts, read 12,936,608 times
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House