Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-23-2015, 10:29 AM

24,873 posts, read 36,167,496 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kirinafa View Post
The hole family has to fill jugs for drinkable water, the well is bad. It's really no different carrying it to the house then to where we are. Although it is a hassle going upstairs with it. But I have to do that anyway when cleaning our fish tank. Really it's exercise lol.

The only reason I ask for an alternative to using the restroom is i simply don't want to go into the house. It's gross. Plus if anyone is sleeping i wake them up when I come through the front door. And I cant pee if someone can hear me. The door has such a crack that the sound echoes throughout the house even when a tv is on. Super self conscious about using bathrooms. I was thinking it would be simpler on me to use a portable urinal (I have to help elders and they do it!)

It is the exact same, but I choose to avoid going into the main house. If it was a more pleasant place where I can cook/do dishes and use the restroom in peace, it's the exact same as staying in a two story home aside from having to walk down a set of stairs that is outside and going through a front door.

I cook with a hot plate, have a microwave and convection oven. Also have a blender for my veggie/fruit meals. Lately since I've been working so much I don't even cook. I also try not to over-eat to save as much as possible. If hubby gets hungry he eats whatever they are cooking downstairs. I sometimes nibble from his plate but I don't really like meats all that much and they tend to favor beef.

Apparently most on this forum have no idea what frugal means. Don't ever meet my father, he's even worse then me (he doesn't even use his heater/ac and uses buckets of water from running the tub to flush the toilet!) he actually is the top person on the least amount of energy usage in his hole area. I think his electric bill runs around $25-30.
Right. Exactly the same as living in an upstairs bedroom... If we all peed in a bucket instead of going downstairs to the bathroom.

Old 01-23-2015, 10:42 AM

Wait... You clean the bathrooms, but they are so dirty you'd rather go in a bucket, or walk to the firehouse? Or you can't be bothered to go downstairs, but you can walk to the firehouse?

You think this is just like living in an upstairs bedroom but you cook on a hot plate and have no potable running water? And you live like this by choice?

Old 01-23-2015, 10:45 AM

4,978 posts, read 5,768,350 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GotHereQuickAsICould View Post
I must say, I have some concerns about a couple building a house on their own who in three years have not been able to figure out how to sanitize dishes by heating up water in a hot pot and whose solution to going to the bathroom involves peeing outdoors or the uncomfortable process of going inside their in-laws' home.

Housebuilding is a series of solving problems. Costly mistakes can be avoided by hiring those with experience and expertise.

I lived in Alaska and know a number of people who built their own cabins and homes. Many of them have had ongoing problems with roofs, foundations and everything in between. Many of these problems could have been avoided by hiring competent architects and builders.

Fingers crossed here.
I wondered about this too. He's an engineer and could not figure that out? What kind of engineer is he?

Quote:
Originally Posted by kirinafa View Post
...I wouldn't get an actual toilet, but a handheld container. Empty it either in a designated spot or do what my hubby does, throw it off the balcony where he does his business anyway. .....

P.s it would still cost a lot more to rent. The in laws have their name on his bank account and would take the money out that way. He finally had his dad's name taken off. They haven't took rent from us in months. They know we are trying to get out on our own. Since they haven't took our rent in awhile I try to clean downstairs when I can.

It's not that they are bad people, they just have lower cleaning standards as most of us. Much like how I have lower spending habits then others. Even though I don't like it, I need to learn to accept other people's views (much like how all of you do!) not everyone thinks alike nor acts alike.

Hubby is pretty dead set on getting a shed and converting it now. It's a rent to own, 450 a month. Would have to install electricity, lights, bathroom.. It'll be over 15k when we are done. It'll be smaller then what we are living in now. Will certainly have to look at little houses and see what can be done about space. This will set us back afew years for the house. Not happy about that since I want a baby.

Oh boy.....you would throw your pee OFF YOUR BALCONY? Yikes. Remind me not to be your neighbor. That is disgusting. And likely illegal. No wonder your well water is bad...everybody throwing their pee off their balconies and then getting a little sandpoint well...yeah, real healthy there. Disgusting.

You inlaws have their name on your DH's account? Why didn't your DH simply open a separate account with ONLY your 2 names on it? Again, he's an engineer and couldn't figure that out?!?

You want a baby...oh boy....you won't be working 3 jobs with a baby. Get yourselves in a better financial situation first, please.

What kind of engineer is DH? If he's any good, he should look for jobs elsewhere - higher paying jobs. He'd likely have to move. Which sounds like would be a good thing.

Old 01-23-2015, 11:19 AM

9,694 posts, read 7,391,525 times
five gallon bucket

Old 01-23-2015, 11:34 AM

983 posts, read 1,181,109 times
Just wanted to add this is the weirdest thread I have read on CD.com

Its like the Jerry Springer show ... you want to click and change the channels, but you are sucked into it like a vortex vacuum. And don't want to miss what happens next !

Old 01-23-2015, 11:43 AM

18,547 posts, read 15,584,312 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ForLoveOnly View Post
Op, ignore ^this^. I classify it as stupid advice.

X2, shame on poster nicole.
You'd rather be near-homeless than part with a pet? What is wrong with you people?

Old 01-23-2015, 11:44 AM

I am stunned that the op dumps pee off the balcony but thinks this is no less sanitary than anyone with an upstaies bedroom who goes downstairs to pee. What?

Old 01-23-2015, 11:59 AM

16,709 posts, read 19,410,227 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kibbiekat View Post
I am stunned that the op dumps pee off the balcony but thinks this is no less sanitary than anyone with an upstaies bedroom who goes downstairs to pee. What?
I'm surprised the neighbors haven't reported this entire family. That's beyond unsanitary.

Old 01-23-2015, 12:06 PM

4,978 posts, read 5,768,350 times
I am picturing backwoods hillbillies now.

I still wonder what kind of engineer DH is....

Old 01-23-2015, 12:08 PM

16,709 posts, read 19,410,227 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeachSalsa View Post
I am picturing backwoods hillbillies now.

I still wonder what kind of engineer DH is....
Railroad maybe?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House