Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-23-2015, 12:16 PM

21 posts, read 117,210 times

Advertisements

Congrats on your effort, and good luck.

Old 01-23-2015, 12:44 PM

800 posts, read 1,298,002 times
the more i read the more questions i have.

OP, any chance you can post a picture of your living situation now? you keep describing it but i ,as well as i assume others, am very confused. or even draw a layout with paint x is your home, y is the firehouse, z is your home your building.

Old 01-23-2015, 01:56 PM

826 posts, read 1,127,327 times
OP rather than save to build a house right away. Have you considered building a small cottage or garage w/ upstairs apartament? It could be basic studio with a small kitchenette and 3/4 bathroom. It would be step up from what you have now. After you build the house you should be able rent it out for additional income given how limited you said rentals were in your area. I think that would be cheaper in the long run, then building part of the house now and adding on later.

Also when doing the construction, make sure get proper permits and build to code. If you don't and the county finds out you could just be throwing all the money you saved down the drain. Also be careful about hiring random people to help build your new home. If they get hurt and don't have insurance they can come after you.

Old 01-23-2015, 02:32 PM

8,272 posts, read 8,662,411 times
They plan on only building the master bedroom and living room if things get tight? Where are you allowed to do this? Still no bathroom or kitchen?

You are breaking the law. Your in laws are breaking the law. You plan on breaking more laws when you build a house.

Volunteer fire chief and he lives in an illegal place. I call BS on this poster.

Old 01-23-2015, 04:20 PM

11,936 posts, read 13,116,607 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mack Knife View Post
All the helpful hints ignore the fact that what the OP is doing is illegal and for good reasons. The OP is one mistake away from getting seriously ill and then spreading some disease to other people.

There is something wrong here, very wrong.
Yes there is something very, very wrong.

If the hubs is the fire chief of the local volunteer FD, why isn't he also working getting paid by a paid fire department?

I don't believe this poster for one minute for a lot of reasons.

If the husband is a volunteer fire fighter, he is an EMT and would KNOW how unsanitary and disgusting his living situation is. Peeing and pooping in a bucket and throwing it off a balcony into the yard?

It is ILLEGAL in all fifty states to charge someone rent if a dwelling does not have a working bathroom or running water. ILLEGAL.

It is a health hazard to dump human waste in your backyard to yourself and your neighbors and they've been doing it for years? How disgusting is that? Run off water? God can you imagine the neighborhood after a summer rain?

There is more bull$hit in this post than their is in their five gallon bucket.

Old 01-23-2015, 04:45 PM

24,832 posts, read 37,356,060 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ncole1 View Post
You'd rather be near-homeless than part with a pet? What is wrong with you people?
I would.....yes.

Old 01-23-2015, 04:49 PM

24,832 posts, read 37,356,060 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blueherons View Post
Yes there is something very, very wrong.

If the hubs is the fire chief of the local volunteer FD, why isn't he also working getting paid by a paid fire department?

I don't believe this poster for one minute for a lot of reasons.

If the husband is a volunteer fire fighter, he is an EMT and would KNOW how unsanitary and disgusting his living situation is. Peeing and pooping in a bucket and throwing it off a balcony into the yard?

It is ILLEGAL in all fifty states to charge someone rent if a dwelling does not have a working bathroom or running water. ILLEGAL.

It is a health hazard to dump human waste in your backyard to yourself and your neighbors and they've been doing it for years? How disgusting is that? Run off water? God can you imagine the neighborhood after a summer rain?

There is more bull$hit in this post than their is in their five gallon bucket.
I am sure their home would not code.

But, who cares????

They are trying to save for a future home.

Good for them.......we did about the same thing when remodeling is old farm house......but, it was a small camper.

Old 01-23-2015, 05:19 PM

24,873 posts, read 36,185,020 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Driller1 View Post

But, who cares????

Good for them.......we did about the same thing when remodeling is old farm house......but, it was a small camper.
I care. I would care a lot if I lived next door. There are codes for a reason. I would care less if they lived in an RV and dumped the tanks properly on a regular basis. Dumping sewage off the balcony? In what universe is this acceptable behavior?

Old 01-23-2015, 05:27 PM

2,801 posts, read 2,310,926 times
You have lived like this for three years and you only have a few thousand saved up to build your house?

Something sounds really odd about this scenario.

You two are building yourselves?? Just the two of you ?? Hire contractors? Do either of you know anything about Building and General Contractors?

Old 01-23-2015, 05:44 PM

11,936 posts, read 13,116,607 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Driller1 View Post

But, who cares????

Good God are you serious? You wouldn't care if your next door neighbor was throwing poop in his yard?

Do you understand the health hazard that is?

Even OSHA requires employees cleaning up human feces to wear hazmat uniforms but you think it is okay running into your well water????

That someone in their neighborhood or family doesn't have Hepatitis A is a miracle and I'm not exaggerating.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House