Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-25-2015, 09:13 AM

18 posts, read 32,044 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kibbiekat View Post
Being frugal is fine. Living like you are camping is another. You keep contradicting yourself, so I don't really know what we're supposed to believe.

It is unsanitary and illegal to dispose of sewage on the ground. You "living frugally" is a threat to the health of yourselves and your neighbors. Do you think the firefighters love having you go over there to use their bathroom?

You say you live like this to save money, but you are doing it at the expense of those around you. The most responsible thing you could do would be to move into a rental with its own bathroom and kitchen, or take out a loan to build or buy a small house.
We have not disposed of sewage on the ground, aside from my husband whom in the past has used the restroom outside occasionally. I use the main house or firehouse. I would like to make him stop if he's still doing it. Guys will be guys. Heck it's really no different then his family. When they used to have one bathroom his dad would urinate outside when it was occupied. Hes learned the bad habits from somewhere.

We are the firefighters! We live close to the station for a reason. I don't really understand what you mean about "us" liking the idea of going to the restroom at the firehouse. It is not a manned station, we are volunteers after all. I don't see any issues going over there occasonally when the other two bathrooms are occupied or I am self-conscious about someone hearing me. Heck I'm sure there is cleaning or paperwork to do at the firehouse anyway. We go to the firehouse daily already.

Old 01-25-2015, 09:26 AM

18 posts, read 32,044 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kibbiekat View Post
CAMPING IS DIFFERENT! You camp in the wilderness, not next door to someone else's house!

We're under that assumption because you said so. I'm talking about a collective "you" meaning you and your husband.

You have said you wouldn't dare dump your waste outside, and in the same breath said if he does it, you can to. We're only responding to what you are saying, then you get all defensive.
"Or do what my husband does" which to me, was more of an angry, sarcastic statement but of coarse it doesn't sound like that to everyone. Sarcasm does not do well in text format.

Old 01-25-2015, 09:55 AM

15,479 posts, read 15,632,418 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kirinafa View Post
We pay rent, and im a caregiver for one of my part time jobs.. i clean all day already. To get home with a sink piled high full of crusted, moldy, weeks worth of dishes for 4 other people (not counting my husband and i) I already clean their two bathrooms, mop/sweep/vacuum their floors. Also if i need to do a load of laundry i have to switch over their moldy wet clothes (because they just leave it in the washer) and fold their clothes, or do it like they do and throw it in a big pile on top.

On top of that i have to keep our place clean as well.

Usually i tend to avoid going into the house at all, except to clean it and take a shower/laundry. I used to clean their dishes everyday, but after getting multiple part time jobs i just dont have the time anymore. I'm a clean freak and just walking in makes me go crazy.

Not to mention, no one in that house works. They can find the time to clean up after themselves.
If you're paying rent, get yourselves a studio apartment! Or even a weekly room rental at a cheap motel/hotel. You'd have your own bathroom.

Living in a garage is ridiculous. You are probably violating numerous laws and if are found out will be forced to move immediately. You could also be fined.

I'd go to the laundry mat instead of taking care of their laundry. ANd if your'e paying rent, why the heck are you living in the garage. This makes no sense!

Last edited by ss20ts; 01-25-2015 at 10:34 AM..

Old 01-25-2015, 09:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by otterhere View Post
Not everyone feels compelled to spend every penny they earn on unnecessary luxuries; some of us actually save it for a bigger, better goal. It's called "delayed gratification."
Yes, water, heat, and toilets are luxuries! Especially in 2015.

Old 01-25-2015, 10:01 AM

12,547 posts, read 9,943,335 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ss20ts View Post
Yes, water, heat, and toilets are luxuries! Especially in 2015.
I think if OP didn't have enough water and heat she would be dead.

Old 01-25-2015, 10:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eddiehaskell View Post
I think if OP didn't have enough water and heat she would be dead.
Not necessarily. Depends on where you live. If she lived next door to me, then yes she would have died ages ago from hypothermia. We've have many nights with zero and negative temps. When I lived in the South, there was no such thing as zero or negative temps. Totally depends where you reside.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billy_J View Post

I just went shopping today and had no problem paying for what I needed. I don't have expensive house payments - that is a GOOD thing if you ask me! (I also don't have creditors calling me, etc.)
What makes you think that those of us who have mortgages have creditors calling us? In fact, the people I know who have creditors calling them don't have mortgages. Most don't even have car loans.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hedgehog_Mom View Post
This is a good idea...finding some kind of building to put on the land while you build your house. I know a couple of people who've gotten a really good deal on used portable buildings from schools. That might be something to look into. You'd still have the cost of moving it to your land, but it would possibly be useful in the future, even once the house was built.
There are some threads on here about people using those metal shipping containers and reworking them into homes. They're not huge homes, but it sounds like a significantly better option right now and it can be used as a cottage for guests later on.

Quote:

This forum is most likely swarmed by wealthy individuals whom have no idea what it means for sacrifice and dedication. Would you rather me be homeless? I am alot better off then so many people. I am thankful just to have a roof over my head and a warm meal. I know there is no reasoning with any of you. I didn't start this thread to start a war or drama match.
Well, yes, most of us are sitting here counting are gold bouillon while reading City Data. Once I finish reading your thread, I'm off to count my piles of hundred dollar bills.

When you started this thread, you left out a great of information. You have contradicted yourself as well. It's a forum where people have questions and opinions. If you don't like questions or opinions, it's best not to post on a forum. And you're starting to sound like a drama queen with your paragraph after paragraph rant.

Now, I must get back to counting my gold. Such a chore to do this every day. Sigh.

Last edited by ss20ts; 01-25-2015 at 11:09 AM..

Old 01-25-2015, 10:58 AM

24,873 posts, read 36,185,020 times
Quote:
We have not disposed of sewage on the ground, aside from my husband whom in the past has used the restroom outside occasionally. I use the main house or firehouse. I would like to make him stop if he's still doing it. Guys will be guys. Heck it's really no different then his family. When they used to have one bathroom his dad would urinate outside when it was occupied. Hes learned the bad habits from somewhere.

We are the firefighters! We live close to the station for a reason. I don't really understand what you mean about "us" liking the idea of going to the restroom at the firehouse. It is not a manned station, we are volunteers after all. I don't see any issues going over there occasonally when the other two bathrooms are occupied or I am self-conscious about someone hearing me. Heck I'm sure there is cleaning or paperwork to do at the firehouse anyway. We go to the firehouse daily already.
So your husband only dumps pee off the balcony occasionally...

Sleeping in a room above the garage is fine. Walking to the firehouse, dumping pee off the balcony, and trying to cook and do dishes with no water is not. This is not how people live in the US in 2015.

Old 01-25-2015, 11:07 AM

12,062 posts, read 10,281,745 times
Quote:
This was more or less a frustrated response. I know he had done his business outside in the past. If he's done that then it's really no different then me doing my business where he did his business. I'm upset that he had or still is doing this but I cannot control him. But apparently peeing out in the woods is unheard. I'd like to see what you guys do when your hiking and camping. Oh wait, you have fancy trailers for that.

I highly doubt I would actually do this. Nowhere did I say i would dump feces. Everyone is under the assumption that we dump our human waste outside.

He is a civil and also a apparatus engineer.
I was in a tactical unit when I was in the military. They "taught" us the proper way to use the facilities when we "camped". Part of our gear was an entrenching tool, - a shovel. We had to carry that thing everywhere. You dug a cat hole, did your business and covered it up.

Our neighbor used to have drinking parties in his back yard. His house isn't even that close. You could build another house in our empty lot separating us. But on a hot windy day, you could smell the urine residue wafting over here. It was gross. They would just whip it out and pee out by a tree he had in his back yard.

My other half complained to the city and they put a stop to that. We live in a small town and things are pretty loose around here, but it stank! We are both military, so we know the protocol. Heck the other guy was military but I guess he was the type that would pee close to living space and later have to be given a blanket party!

Old 01-25-2015, 11:18 AM

2,932 posts, read 5,423,675 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clemencia53 View Post
A kitchen and bathroom with running water are just downstairs. I think just using those and getting over the aversion to her in-laws would save lots more money.
The kitchen and bathroom are not just downstairs...they're at the in-laws' house, which the OP says is a distance away.

Old 01-25-2015, 11:24 AM

698 posts, read 798,480 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GotHereQuickAsICould View Post
You are right. I stand corrected.

Kirinafa asked for tips on living without no running water, specifically washing dishes and using the toilet. Her comments on how her in-laws live, what her husband will and will not allow, where he urinates, etc. were extraneous to the topic of how to wash dishes and use the toilet without running water.

Now that she has the information on how to heat water with a hot pot, crock pot, and/or microwave, she is good to go with solving her three year problem of washing dishes.

And, it seems, that using the facilities at the local fire station has solved her other dilemma. Good to go there as well.

May all our problems in life be as easy to resolve.

Amen
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House