Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-08-2015, 03:13 PM

5,120 posts, read 16,602,397 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by gentlearts View Post
Is it me, or is this the worst paint ever? I got it at Lowe's in a dark blue color to paint below a chair rail over off-white. Signature paint has a built in primer. I would hate to see how badly it would cover without primer in it.

After two coats failed to cover, to the point that I knew a 3rd coat wouldn't cover either, I took it back to the store. I went to HD and bought good old Behr, and it is covering great.

Could I have gotten a bad batch? Hard to believe a company can stay in business with paint like this.
Yes, it's crappy paint. I bought Valspar paint+primer on Halloween to repaint my newly added basement bathroom that was painted 2 weeks prior with Sherwin Williams paint. Both colors were a light blue/grayish hue. The Sherwin Williams paint was applied by the contractor or his employees. I used the recommended roller cover, paint brushes, etc that the Lowe's employee suggested. I bought all kinds of tape including that crap called frog tape (what a joke). I painted half the bathroom the next day then decided to take a break because I was so disappointed. My sister took pity on me & my frustration & came up to my house & volunteered to finish my efforts of repainting my new bathroom. She too said the paint was crappy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gentlearts View Post
I wasn't really looking for paint plus primer, but it seemed to be all they had. Since primer is white, unless I used a tinted primer, I wouldn't normally use one over white paint, but only over a dark color.
It's not rocket science, and I've painted about a million rooms of different colors, so I think it was the fault of the paint.
Lowe's employee told me that's how they sell paint now....always comes with the primer. I typically buy Behr paint but the color I wanted was a Lowe's paint so I just figured I'd buy paint there instead. Last time I bought Lowe's paint was in 2004 for my kitchen. I've bought Behr & used Behr everywhere else in my home with no issues. I've been in my home for almost 17 years & painted everything except two hall closets. This effort with Valspar paint+primer was the worst painting experience I've ever had.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House