Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-22-2015, 12:27 PM

6,706 posts, read 5,943,170 times

Advertisements

The neighbors' yard is rather big, admittedly, but this guy's been mowing it now for an hour and a half. It's been this constant drone for half the afternoon. I've been glancing out the window every 15-20 minutes and it seems as though he's been working on the same spot all this time!

I think some guys either don't know how to mow a lawn, or they just enjoy the loud roar (plus the fumes and dust). I'm working from home, and sure, I can put on headphones and tune it out, but it does kind of ruin the peace and quiet here on this little suburban lane abutting conservation land.

We have a landscaping company that comes in about once a week and mows; they have this big, fast commercial rider-mower that turns on a dime, and they're in and out of here in 20 minutes. They're noisy, with 2-3 guys using blowers and mowers and trimmers all at once, but they're done so quickly that it's tolerable.

What's annoying is these amateurs, doing an entire lawn with a push mower and seeming to relish taking their time or just not being very organized about it. There oughtta be a law...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-22-2015, 12:29 PM

16,062 posts, read 26,757,428 times
Or you could move to the country with no neighbors.

Old 05-22-2015, 12:31 PM

6,706 posts, read 5,943,170 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by veuvegirl View Post
Believe me, if I could persuade my wife....

Old 05-22-2015, 12:38 PM

17,476 posts, read 66,094,679 times
This is not a turbine zone!
Attached Thumbnails
Endless mowing next door-image.jpg  

Old 05-22-2015, 12:41 PM

3,062 posts, read 7,037,940 times
Quote:
This is a terrible suggestion. The OP has a right to peaceful enjoyment of his home, and the right to complain about it.

Moving to the country has its own problems, specifically: lack of noise ordinances.

Old 05-22-2015, 12:41 PM

23,604 posts, read 70,456,777 times
Quote:
LOL! I live in the country. I mowed a little yesterday out back, maybe 90 minutes for a small section. A couple days before took all afternoon and part of the evening mowing a field and around some storage. I would mow part of another field today, but have other work to do. (Just came in for a break)

As I type, I can hear a field being bush-hogged. IIRC it usually takes him a couple days. Further down, someone is using a dozer to clear some trees. The sound of a falling tree is pretty unmistakable. A few days ago it was the crop dusters flying nearby much of the morning.

Mowing is probably MORE important in the country because if you don't you get field mice and ticks and lyme disease and the area grows up into scrub.

Old 05-22-2015, 12:43 PM

22,600 posts, read 47,707,443 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blisterpeanuts View Post
T
We have a landscaping company that comes in about once a week and mows; they have this big, fast commercial rider-mower that turns on a dime, and they're in and out of here in 20 minutes. They're noisy, with 2-3 guys using blowers and mowers and trimmers all at once, but they're done so quickly that it's tolerable.
Maybe you can treat your neighbor to your service!
Not everyone can afford one (but also some people like to cut their own grass).

Old 05-22-2015, 12:48 PM

49,927 posts, read 59,984,705 times
It's a way to unwind for some guys. They get lost in their thoughts or music or talk radio. My husband used to take about an hour to mow our 1.3 acres.

The retired guy behind us used to mow 3X a week. Talk about an endless drone! And at our old house, I swear every time we would go out to eat dinner on our deck, our next-door neighbor would fire up the leaf blower.

Old 05-22-2015, 12:51 PM

4,538 posts, read 6,453,434 times
Babies, elderly, weekends, finals week, late at night I can see keeping it down with a lawn mower. You are in a residential area conducting commercial activities yet you want a neighbor on a weekday mowing his lawn to be quiet. I would think mowing lawn in middle of a weekday would be fine as you should be at work. Not home

Old 05-22-2015, 01:13 PM

9,324 posts, read 16,672,854 times
Gee it's day time and the guy is taking care of his yard. Would you prefer he mow at night? Be thankful that he is taking care of his yard! Our neighbor has 2 acres in his front yard but only mows 1/2 acre and leaves the rest to grow "natural" i.e. weeds. You're wasting a lot of work time watching this guy so, put some headphones on and get back to work.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House