Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-23-2015, 01:43 PM

687 posts, read 915,205 times

Advertisements

Lots of people choosing to rent these days or to move into condos with a small HOA in order to avoid all that lawn maintenance crap. Who actually wants to mow an acre+ property???

Who wants to maintain a pool either? I went and looked at a couple foreclosures that had pools. What a mess? I don't want to initially clean that nor do I want to perpetually spend the time or the money maintaining it. Would rather have a community pool or, better yet, just none at all. We have a giant bay somewhere around here (central MD).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-23-2015, 03:02 PM

19,743 posts, read 22,641,589 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mapmd View Post
Lots of people choosing to rent these days or to move into condos with a small HOA in order to avoid all that lawn maintenance crap. Who actually wants to mow an acre+ property???

Who wants to maintain a pool either? I went and looked at a couple foreclosures that had pools. What a mess? I don't want to initially clean that nor do I want to perpetually spend the time or the money maintaining it. Would rather have a community pool or, better yet, just none at all. We have a giant bay somewhere around here (central MD).
No kidding. "I hire people to come use multiple mowers, leaf blowers and weed eaters, but I would much rather prefer if YOU use a rake".

Thank goodness he's not my neighbor. I'd share some alternate uses of the 'rake', lol.

Old 05-23-2015, 03:09 PM

45,337 posts, read 60,512,994 times
Had to cut my yard twice this week, Tuesday and today. Will likely have to do it again this coming Tuesday or Wednesday.

Old 05-23-2015, 03:18 PM

6,693 posts, read 5,925,015 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MidValleyDad View Post
So insist that your service use them.

Oh everyone else should use them but it is okay for you to have multiple machines come in to work on your yard. I have one word for that - Hypocrite
Now, now, calm down and be nice.

When you have 10 yards to do in one day, you're going to have to use machines, and be efficient about it. When you have all day to do 1 yard, you will naturally take your time and make all the noise in the world. Thus, the solution is to require push mowers which are virtually silent, and then you can spend all day, lose weight, and also not bother the neighbors. What's not to love?

Old 05-23-2015, 03:52 PM

14,229 posts, read 30,022,670 times
Visited a friend in Arizona a few years ago and her lawnmower had a headlight. She could mow in the dark!

Old 05-23-2015, 04:19 PM

4,977 posts, read 5,764,865 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blisterpeanuts View Post
Rakes are a lot quieter than blowers. Manual push mowers are a LOT quieter than gas mowers. Both are MUCH BETTER exercise, too. GOML!
I have a manual reel mower. I've used it a few times. Yes, the MOWER is much quieter. However, the words coming out of my mouth while using it are neither nice nor quiet. So the neighbors prefer I use my loud gas powered mower.

Old 05-23-2015, 05:00 PM

6,693 posts, read 5,925,015 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeachSalsa View Post
I have a manual reel mower. I've used it a few times. Yes, the MOWER is much quieter. However, the words coming out of my mouth while using it are neither nice nor quiet. So the neighbors prefer I use my loud gas powered mower.
I have to admit, my old push mower was an exercise in frustration. It would have been more efficient to cut the grass with a scissors

Old 05-23-2015, 07:27 PM

8,869 posts, read 16,312,651 times
Position your speakers at the window and blast some headbanger bands like AC/DC, Metallica, or Black Sabbath loud enough so he can hear them (you can put on your noise-cancelling headphones then). He'll stop the mower to figure out what's going on. If he dares to come over and tells you your music is too loud, you can explain that you have to have it that loud so you can hear it over the mower noise.

Old 05-23-2015, 07:46 PM

5,114 posts, read 6,086,237 times
Quote:
Now, now, calm down and be nice.

When you have 10 yards to do in one day, you're going to have to use machines, and be efficient about it. When you have all day to do 1 yard, you will naturally take your time and make all the noise in the world. Thus, the solution is to require push mowers which are virtually silent, and then you can spend all day, lose weight, and also not bother the neighbors. What's not to love?
But YOU don't have multiple yards to do in a day YOU only have one, you just chose to have someone else do it so YOU don't have to be bothered. Why should YOU be allowed to have someone make all that noise just because YOU don't want to. Maybe YOU should use a silent mower and get some exercise.

In my opinion the gang of workers who come in and run multiple machines including those infuriating blowers starting at 7 AM in the morning are much more annoying than a homeowner running a single mower for several hours. And then when they are done your yard they move 4 houses down to spend the next hour doing another yard. They end up in the neighborhood for the same amount of time as the homeowner is running his single machine.

Maybe if homeowners had to mow their own grass they wouldn't have such big yards that use thousands of gallons of water to keep green just so it can be cut.

Old 05-23-2015, 07:51 PM

5,114 posts, read 6,086,237 times
Quote:
I have to admit, my old push mower was an exercise in frustration. It would have been more efficient to cut the grass with a scissors
Then you should have repaired and adjusted your reel mower. Have you ever cut grass with scissors? I have. It is tedious and painful when you have to squatdown and bend over to do it. A reel mower on the other hand is efficent IF you have a very flat yard (like a putting green or profesional baseball infield) Unless your yard is very small or rolled very flat a reel mower will make it look horrible
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House