Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-12-2015, 06:41 PM

2,898 posts, read 6,348,149 times

Advertisements

I collect vintage suitcases & was given a great one by a relative, however, someone scrawled their name across it in 3 different places, with very large lettering in permanent marker & then covered it with stickers. When I peeled off the stickers today (which all removed with a simple tug), I found the ink.

I tried to remove the ink with a Magic Sponge, which removed nothing at all. That's all I've tried so far. I googled & found most suggested using rubbing alcohol, but only on smooth surfaces. This suitcase isn't smooth... it's got a raised surface. I'm guessing it's not leather, although it has a leathery look... maybe vinyl? It looks similar to the case below:

I'm guessing the suitcase is at least 50-yrs old & the marker has been there for 30-40 yrs, based on the relative's names, so with indelible ink, it may be too late to remove it.

My problem is that although it could easily be painted over, with that 'tweedy' look, it would be quite a painstaking process, which I'm not willing to do. If all else fails, I will just paint it a solid color... however, I'd like to try to remove it first.

Anyone have any success with such things?

Thanks very much!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-12-2015, 08:54 PM

41,813 posts, read 51,035,628 times
Try goof off, note that isn't goo gone. It comes in a small metal can. Be sure to test very small area to maker sure it doesn't damage the material.

Old 05-12-2015, 09:54 PM

17,474 posts, read 66,027,504 times
Isopropyl alcohol-

Your description of the case definitely sounds like leather. The alcohol should do the trick; but will also lighten and dry out the leather- restore the leather's condition with neatsfoot oil.

Old 05-13-2015, 07:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thecoalman View Post
Try goof off, note that isn't goo gone. It comes in a small metal can. Be sure to test very small area to maker sure it doesn't damage the material.
Thank you for the suggestion & for pointing out the difference in product names... I probably wouldn't have noticed in the store. Add to that, there's a product named Goop, if I'm not mistaken... so, if the alcohol doesn't work, I'll give iGoof Off a go.

Old 05-13-2015, 07:50 AM

There is basically two types of products, goo gone and similar ones are oil based. It's good for stuff like stickers etc on hard surfaces. Of course on fabrics or anything porous not so good becsue it's going to stain them.

Goof off and similar products contain xylene. you have to be very careful with painted surfaces , plastics etc but you can use it on fabric and other porous surfaces without concern of the product itself leaving a stain.

As I already said, be sure to test small area and make sure it's not damaging the material.

If all else fails you can try some gasoline. Be very, very careful. Small amount in a small cup and just use a q tip. Do this outside. For the least stink solution get some white gas (coleman fuel). If you have no use for the remainder dump it in your car.

Old 05-13-2015, 08:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by K'ledgeBldr View Post
Isopropyl alcohol-

Your description of the case definitely sounds like leather. The alcohol should do the trick; but will also lighten and dry out the leather- restore the leather's condition with neatsfoot oil.
Thank you, KB. I'll p/u some alcohol to try tomorrow.

I really don't think the suitcase is leather (if it is, it's very, very thin) & my mum looked at it & said vinyl wasn't available in the days it was made. She thinks it's far older than 50-yrs... she's 83 & said she remembers it when she was a kid. It almost looks & feels like particle board with a nubby feeling contact paper over it, but I'm no expert on materials... & perhaps that's what dried-out, 70-yr old leather feels like.

I looked up neatsfoot oil & came across some interesting equestrian sites, with people suggesting that & about 10 other different kinds of oil (none I'd ever heard of) to treat saddles & horse harnesses, etc. I wouldn't mind trying some of them on my leather handbag & jacket collection.

Old 05-14-2015, 08:23 PM

Default Update...

I tried isopropyl alcohol & it did nothing at all... didn't remove even a bit of the ink from the several places I tried.

Too bad, but, I'll find out which store carries Goof Off & try that. I'm not comfortable using gasoline, Coal & I'd rather just paint over it, if the GO doesn't work. I like to use a few stacked up suitcases as a table & place a lamp or some candles on it, so although I'd rather restore to natural, I'll paint over it, if necessary. I could also just wait & think of some sort of design I could do... although the areas where the name is scrawled is quite large... but, maybe some gold stippling or something similar might look better than solid paint.

I really don't think the case is leather, however. It just doesn't feel like it to me... although, what else did they make suitcases out of in those days? Just realized it's a Samsonite but the metal plate is so old, all other lettering is worn off. Maybe I'll google it to see if I can find some online info on the case. Also, I don't know if I can find an old-fashioned cobbler... perhaps he could identify which material it is & make a suggestion on removing the marker?

Thank you both, very much again! I'll keep you updated.

Old 05-14-2015, 08:28 PM

Just to note, the goof off is also highly flammable and should be used outside if possible. That's not going to leave an odor once it evaporates though.

Old 05-14-2015, 09:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thecoalman View Post
Just to note, the goof off is also highly flammable and should be used outside if possible. That's not going to leave an odor once it evaporates though.
Beautiful! Cheers for the reminder!

Old 05-15-2015, 09:17 AM

9,196 posts, read 24,934,977 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PatanjaliTwist View Post
I really don't think the suitcase is leather (if it is, it's very, very thin) & my mum looked at it & said vinyl wasn't available in the days it was made. She thinks it's far older than 50-yrs... she's 83 & said she remembers it when she was a kid. It almost looks & feels like particle board with a nubby feeling contact paper over it, but I'm no expert on materials... & perhaps that's what dried-out, 70-yr old leather feels like.
It may be a fabric glued over a fiber board and sealed over.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House