Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-01-2015, 12:59 PM

14,255 posts, read 14,773,589 times

Advertisements

My GE washer and dryer are over 15 years old and the washer is acting up. I can repair this type stuff and I have before but now the aggravation is setting in so let us forget the repair part of it. I have decided to replace both washer and dryer.

Just two of us. We do maybe 4 to 6 loads of laundry per week. No heavy, dirty type laundry. Do not need a ton of machine settings.

My inclination is to buy inexpensive. Lowe's has Hotpoint basic models for about $400 each and basic Maytag models at about $450 each. Includes free delivery, free installation, free removal of old.

Suggestions please.

Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-01-2015, 01:04 PM

10,614 posts, read 12,149,758 times
No I'd rather it be moved to the more appropriate thread. The "house" thread is where people with experiences related to home topics would have the best answers.....where people who've recently bought appliances are actually MORE likely to have the kind of info the OP says s/he is looking for.

So people should post here and ask what are the best clothing brands, and shoe brands, or computer brands and the best place to eat?
Not every darn issue is and "age" or "retirement" related issue.

I know the OP said why shhe was asking here. That just shows s/he knew to 'justify' why it was posted here in the first place.

Old 11-01-2015, 01:04 PM

17,717 posts, read 29,863,438 times
Default Easy to answer

I will give you the quick summary of answers that will follow (as they have in a number of other previous threads):

1. Buy the cheapest.
2. Buy Speed Queen.
3. Buy a high-efficiency front loader.
4. Buy an old-fashioned, lots of water top loader.

5. Don't buy the cheapest.
6. Don't buy Speed Queen.
7. Don't buy a high-efficiency front loader.
8. Don't buy an old-fashioned, lots of water top loader.

Me, personally? I am a #3.

Reading fun

//www.city-data.com/forum/house...s-washers.html

//www.city-data.com/forum/house...any-walla.html

//www.city-data.com/forum/house...ront-load.html

//www.city-data.com/forum/house...ppliances.html

//www.city-data.com/forum/house...her-white.html

https://www.bogleheads.org/forum/vie...asher#p2639490

https://www.bogleheads.org/forum/vie...asher#p1863374

https://www.bogleheads.org/forum/vie...asher#p1688582

https://www.bogleheads.org/forum/vie...asher#p1592476

Last edited by davebarnes; 11-01-2015 at 01:15 PM..

Old 11-01-2015, 01:05 PM

22,616 posts, read 47,741,590 times
I am a #3 also.

Old 11-01-2015, 02:14 PM

31,683 posts, read 41,071,495 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by johngolf View Post
I understand but the reason I asked her is that quite a few retired people have replaced their appliances when they recently retired/relocated/downsized thus recent experience counts.
Bada Bing and that would be us. We bought new when we transplanted and that met builder appliances which were not that great. Thus at the 8 year point we are replacing and that is a cost that we could handle and had planned for and would recommend everyone consider carefully the cost of housing up keep in retirement and what can happen if to much goes wrong at the same time.

Old 11-01-2015, 02:19 PM

31,683 posts, read 41,071,495 times
To help this thread which is a good one be more fully seen in the context of retirement I offer the following:

Forbes Welcome

Quote:
Minor home repairs: Consider giving your home a makeover. Have you ever gone to an open house for a home that has been in the same family for 40 years? Generally, you’ll notice these homes are dated and the homeowner never made the changes that might normally be done, such as updating the appliances and getting new floor coverings. You may have more time to do these updates when you are retired, but plan on doing them now while you are working and have the income stream to pay for them. Walk through your home and look at it from the perspective of a home buyer. Ask yourself what you’d like to change if you bought the house, then plan on making those changes.
Speaking of floor coverings we just did that but thats another possible thread topic.

Old 11-01-2015, 02:42 PM

5,854 posts, read 5,292,927 times
I would be #4. Don't like front loaders. Heard a lot of negatives about them. I have also heard about high efficiency machines-like the fact that they don't quite clean. I was in the market for a new machine last year. After reading all the reviews, I choose to keep my old washer and will keep it until it dies. Then...well, hopefully, there will be a better crop of washers out there.

Your best bet is to buy one with the least amount of bells & whistles. Less stuff on it, the less can go wrong.

Cat

Old 11-01-2015, 02:49 PM

983 posts, read 1,183,188 times
Tag for info

Old 11-01-2015, 02:56 PM

6,420 posts, read 11,605,000 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
Oh I agree. If you make use of the features it's hard to go back.
My LG fridge is a french door version and I love it and would never go back to freezer top/bottom or freezer side/side versions.

Because I dry so little I'm eying the all in one versions now hitting the US for my next washer/dryer purchase when the time comes.
Combined washer and ventless dryer all in one.
They've been in use in Europe for a long time and are just making their way to the US now.
They take a long time to dry (typically 60 minutes) and most Europeans air-dry their clothes. I'm guessing the dry cycles in those machines are there for extreme situations rather than every day.

Old 11-01-2015, 03:26 PM

6,234 posts, read 8,455,782 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
Poster stated that in his original post.
He asked here because of age and experience.

Would you rather a 22 year old answered his question about quality brands ?

Most of us here have 20+ years of experience with various appliance brands.
Ones that used to be reliable name brands aren't anymore.

For what the OP is looking for I think it's quite appropriate to post here.
Problem is a brand that WAS great 20 years ago isn't built the same way today!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House