Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-10-2015, 06:22 AM

2,830 posts, read 2,654,297 times

Advertisements

A couple of months ago, we bought a cedar log cabin home. The floors are wood floors throughout (Yes, bathrooms and kitchen too! Eek!). The wood floors are not engineered wood floors but older style wide plank wood. So far, I've cleaned them with a damp mop and used warm water/vinegar/couple drops of dish soap. Is this okay? I used a regular type mop and just made sure it was damp but now I think I should use a microfiber pad style. I am not sure, I think those pad styles are made for the newer style floors.

Any tips would be helpful.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-10-2015, 06:49 AM

17,475 posts, read 66,074,768 times
Everytime this question gets asked I cringe because "water" is always in the same sentence!!!

DO NOT USE WATER TO CLEAN WOOD FLOORS!!!
"Wood" AND "water" don't play nice-

Wood Floor Maintenance, Cleaning Hardwood Floors | NWFA

Old 12-10-2015, 07:25 AM

10,095 posts, read 6,439,011 times
You do know that women used to scrub their wooden kitchen floors, right? Anyway, to the OP, it really depends on how the wood floors are finished. If they have a shellac finish, absolutely do NOT use any water on them. However, if they have a polyurethane finish, then a microfiber pad or even a Swiffer-type product can be OK as long as you don't soak the wood. I have 88 year old heart pine floors throughout most of my house and I wet-Swiffer them every couple of weeks because I have pets and don't like pet smudges on the floors. The floors still look the same as they did when I bought the house almost 14 years ago (shiny-wise) and there's been no swelling or cupping. YMMV.

Old 12-10-2015, 07:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bungalove View Post
You do know that women used to scrub their wooden kitchen floors, right? Anyway, to the OP, it really depends on how the wood floors are finished. If they have a shellac finish, absolutely do NOT use any water on them. However, if they have a polyurethane finish, then a microfiber pad or even a Swiffer-type product can be OK as long as you don't soak the wood. I have 88 year old heart pine floors throughout most of my house and I wet-Swiffer them every couple of weeks because I have pets and don't like pet smudges on the floors. The floors still look the same as they did when I bought the house almost 14 years ago (shiny-wise) and there's been no swelling or cupping. YMMV.
How can I tell whether it's shellac or poly?

Old 12-10-2015, 10:50 AM

28,453 posts, read 85,403,413 times
Shellac has been around for literally centuries, it is a good product for wood trim, but its wear characteristics are not well suited to flooring and it really is not likely that a cabin would be finished with the product. It dissolves in alcohol and is generally not considered a good option these days...

What you should do is determine if whatever finish you have is actually protecting your floors -- Know your Hardwood Floors by Starting at the “Finish”

BTW- There is NEVER a good reason to add vinegar to anything that might have been glued together or has natural wax finish-- acetic acid can, over time, dissolve glue, and cause wax to haze: thus is NOT something that should ever come in contact with wood flooring -- https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Acetic_acid

The safest thing to do is try to control dust / dirt BEFORE it enters the home. Put a nice durable entrance mats at all the doors! Then focus on DRY DUST MOPPING. If you spill anything CLEAN IT UP QUICKLY WITH ABSORBENT towels. Any residue that is sticky / oily should be "spot cleaned" with a NEUTRAL soap that is as dilute as possible on a sponge that has been wrung out to be just barely damp.

Old 12-10-2015, 12:01 PM

10,095 posts, read 6,439,011 times
And no matter what kind of finish, don't ever use Murphy's Oil Soap to clean your wood floors - it will leave a residue on them.

Old 12-10-2015, 05:56 PM

Thank you for all the tips, but can anyone recommend what I should clean the floors with. What is a tried and true cleaner that is safe to use?

Old 12-10-2015, 06:30 PM

15,639 posts, read 26,267,127 times
Bona.

You can get a Swiffer Wet Jet type mop with washable microfiber pads -- Rubbermaid has one, Bona has one. You spray the floor and wipe up the grime. Pull off the pad and toss it in the wash. Replace with a clean one and keep going.

NOW -- here's the thing -- you can't let dirt and grime build up. If you do, these types of cleaning pads will pick up the dirt and scratch your floor and you will be stuck with the two bucket (one soapy wash water, one clean rinse water) and rags and hands and knees cleaning, where you wring out the rag well, wipe and flip the rag, so you have a fresh side to wipe the floor with.

My floors are wrecked -- but refinishing is out of the question right now, and I use Lemon Pine Sol, and a hurricane spin mop. If my floors are dirty I slop the water on, then rinse the mop, spin it out dry and pick up the water. My floors are over 90 years old and they look every second of it...

Old 12-13-2015, 09:10 AM

50,379 posts, read 64,007,408 times
I hardly ever wash my wood floors. I suspect the floors in a log cabin need it even less frequently than my fancy scraped ones. I dry mop and vacuum mine every few days, for dust, and once in awhile I mop them with a cotton cloth dampened with a cleaner for wood floors.
Isn't the whole point of a log cabin low maintenance?
If the OP is concerned about cleanliness in the bathrooms, maybe she should put in some tile. I can see how wood might be problematic in a bathroom.

Old 12-19-2015, 06:36 AM

After reading countless articles from the "pros" to personal reviews on so many different ways to clean and maintain hardwood floors, I'm more confused now than ever. For each product or solution recommended, you will find 10 other sites telling you not to do that. For some cleaning products sold for hardwoods, you'll find those who swear by them and some who warn you it will destroy your floors. Some tout the vinegar/water, others say not to use it, some say even to use ammonia or glass plus, others tell you never to do that. Bona is recommended here but I found just as many say that Bona caused a horrible buildup that had to be scrubbed off. Some sites say just use water while others say never use water.

There seems to be NO consensus on cleaning hardwood floors.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House