Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-25-2016, 08:02 AM

3,763 posts, read 12,549,353 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by eddiehaskell View Post
For me the top shelf in a 42" cabinet is useless for anything other than storing things that are never used. I guess it's kinda good to have though. If you have 8 foot ceilings check how level your ceiling is before running the cabinets to the ceiling. A soffit can hide an uneven ceiling.
that's why super-thin step stools were invented!!

I can't reach the top 3 shelves in my cabinets without the step stool. Still easier to have the stuff within stepstool distance, than having to walk into the basement to pull the item out of long-term storage..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-25-2016, 09:32 PM

10,222 posts, read 19,213,191 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rrtechno View Post
Also, years ago we were doing painting to supplement our income. We were painting a kitchen that had no soffits and had to spend an entire day cleaning the area above the cabinets just to get it ready for paint.
If you run the cabinets to the ceiling you don't have that problem.

Old 02-26-2016, 02:02 AM

12,547 posts, read 9,936,246 times
I see a lot of people that like open space above the cabinets for displaying stuff, but it seems like a dust catcher and place for the random flying insect to die.

Old 02-26-2016, 06:39 AM

50,374 posts, read 63,977,343 times
I am sorry the former owners did not remove the soffits in my house, because the upper cabinets in my kitchen are too low for taller people. I know there is wiring, and not sure what else, in the soffit, so they went the cheaper, lazier way.

Old 02-26-2016, 01:45 PM

11,053 posts, read 24,031,211 times
Our 'new' house came with soffits. This is where we started, this picture was taken during the walk through with the Realtor.

We'd not really planned on doing away with the soffits, but the new refrigerator was too big to fit where the old one had been and the cabinets had to be moved up to make room for the fridge.

The soffits had been put across the window trim, too. It was original installation that way, the trim inside the soffit had never been painted. This is Hawaii, we don't have HVAC or other things hiding in soffits, there weren't even any lights in them. A lot of dirt, dust and a gecko skeleton. Ick!

I think it's better with no soffits, although I've still not managed doors yet to cover the holes where the soffits used to be. I'm now thinking for better ventilation, it might be nice to have a curtain across them instead. That would also be a quick and easy fix, too.

Old 02-27-2016, 07:33 AM

107 posts, read 100,882 times
I didn't even know what a soffit was, so I googled it and came up with this link, if it's any help.

10 Ways to Disguise a Kitchen Soffit
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House