Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-24-2016, 09:46 AM

25,575 posts, read 17,286,360 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jobseeker2013 View Post
Electrician came yesterday and gave me a quote for a relatively standard job to disconnect wiring in my yard. We agreed on him coming on Friday and he said he would call me to figure out a time. I came home today and noticed the work done. So I called him and he said he was in the area and it was convenient for him to do it. I am thinking he should have asked for permission first. I am a little freaked out because no one was home. Weird or what?
Kudos to him for being on the ball! He has a busy schedule, had a little time to knock the job out, and did it.

Pay him! Recommend him to others! He was doing work outside, for Pete's Sake, not inside.

Want to wait around for an appointment? Deal with Comcast.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-24-2016, 10:38 AM

8,877 posts, read 13,917,274 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cupper3 View Post
Quit being so fearful people! It's that fear which gets Trump so much support.
Oh yeah, YOU NAILED IT!!!

Fear is the reason people are supporting Trump. Doh!

Old 03-24-2016, 11:24 AM

3,498 posts, read 2,663,404 times
After first reading the posted reply’s I thought how did I get on the psychology section. This is paranoia in the first degree, what a bunch of weird people.

Old 03-24-2016, 12:10 PM

5,198 posts, read 5,278,103 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by txfriend View Post
After first reading the posted reply’s I thought how did I get on the psychology section. This is paranoia in the first degree, what a bunch of weird people.

LOL

So OP, with all of the complaining, did you pay the guy yet?

Inquiring minds want to know.

I'm still shaking my head at meth user. Dude...

Old 03-24-2016, 01:18 PM

1,431 posts, read 912,837 times
You know OP, a similar thing just happened to me! I contacted this independent mechanic to change my spark plugs. I told him to do it tomorrow, but upon driving to work, I noticed my car wasn't misfiring anymore and ran pretty smooth. Then I remembered that I left the door unlocked. Everything was still in my car though.

Weird or what?

Old 03-24-2016, 03:40 PM

2,619 posts, read 3,149,268 times
I am also an electrician. Schedules can change with any and every phone call. He may have had someone cancel out that day, or need to change dates. Material may not have come in for that day's job. At any rate, he found himself able to do your job earlier than planned. What harm did it do, when he didn't have to come in the house? You had already agreed to the work. You got a small bonus with getting it done earlier, so what is the problem?

Old 03-24-2016, 03:50 PM

2,619 posts, read 3,149,268 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoMoreSnowForMe View Post
Yes, absolutely he should have checked with you. "Hi, turns out I can do it now, is that okay?"

For you to never get a call, then happen to "notice" the work was done - unacceptable and weird.

There's a reason this guy is available. He needs some business skills - or a secretary. Some people are really good at their trade, but should let someone else handle the customers.
Small contractors often operate on a shoestring. Been there, done that. A secretary would have been great but I was barely paying myself and family any money. I had no money for a secretary.

Unacceptable and weird to do a job early? Why don't we find something really small and minute to pick over? Would you complain about receiving an early payment or early delivery of an order?

Old 03-24-2016, 05:23 PM

2,994 posts, read 5,590,352 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jobseeker2013 View Post
I just hope he was not casing the place while working
Why because he was an electrician? You desk jockeys make me laugh. Everyone who works in the trades is a criminal to you people.

Old 03-24-2016, 05:31 PM

2,994 posts, read 5,590,352 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Keim View Post
I love the internet.

A guy does his work early and competently. Instead of kudos, that makes him:
"unacceptably weird"
"needs some business skills"
"casing the place"
potential "meth user"

Maybe he was "just in the area and it was convenient for him to do it"? And, he hadn't gotten time to call the homeowner and tell them it was done yet?

It's not the internet it's certain people in society who look down on honest hard working people in the trades. People who don't work in white collar jobs that hold degrees are beneath them.

Old 03-25-2016, 08:31 AM

1,514 posts, read 2,777,563 times
I think the original poster is just crazy. No need to blame all white collar workers.

When did being a crazy wimp become something for an american to be proud of? It's just embarrassing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House