Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-22-2016, 01:09 PM

5,346 posts, read 9,856,485 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldtrader View Post
I think you had better talk to your attorney about this. There have been numerous decisions around the country setting legal president as long as the rent is retained after a notice when the tenant notifies the landlord in advance, and there is a serious problem such as a supplied appliance is not working or a plumbing problem, etc., the judge will go with the tenant, as long as the rent is available to pay the landlord as soon as the problem is solved.

In fact some judges have ruled there is no rent due till the problem is solved.

Attorney's recommend this as a solution to tenants.
It depends on the state. Some states lean very heavily toward tenant rights.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-23-2016, 08:45 PM

20,702 posts, read 12,536,757 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zippyman View Post
Getting two coil-top stoves to shoot sparks is like winning the lotto without buying a ticket - i just don't see how its possible - I'd agree there's a definite hazard if it happened like that & after hiring a pro electrician to rule out the house wiring, as a landlord, I'd be looking to evict the tenant. Maybe the tenant is cursed or an ex is trying to kill them & blame the stove. Shooting sparks is not a normal "failure mode" for electric stoves. Dead burners, uneven heat in the oven, or no heat. But not sparks shooting out of it. The stove manufacturers would get sued to oblivion if that happened often, or even "rarely"..
Most of the people that buy them used buy the ones that are rusted from sitting out side for years and are 30 years old.

Old 06-23-2016, 09:32 PM

20,702 posts, read 12,536,757 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Melodica View Post
Personally I would never move into a rental that didn't supply basic appliances like a fridge and stove/oven. Part of the convenience of renting is not having to buy or maintain things like appliances, not to mention installing/uninstalling and lugging them around. And only $5-$10 off rent a month is certainly not enough to make up for that.

Old 06-24-2016, 06:28 AM

1,168 posts, read 1,227,194 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna-501 View Post
Most of the people that buy them used buy the ones that are rusted from sitting out side for years and are 30 years old.
Not really. I almost always buy used for my places. Stoves, washers and dryers are easy to find less than 2 years old by people who constantly move from job to job and from divorces. Just take a look at craigslist.

Old 06-24-2016, 11:11 AM

8,340 posts, read 6,787,311 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mnlandlord View Post
Last week I received a text from my renter that the day before the oven started on fire and is trashed.

Per the renter (and apparently the cop that put the fire out) it is because the coils were bad. I never had problems with the stove while I lived there or heard anything from previous renters.

I replaced the stove/oven with a used one. When I stopped by the house on Friday to take photos of the junked oven and check for other damage, the renter started in about how the door slams shut on the "new" oven and she hopes the glass doesn't break. When I looked at it before buying I did not have any problems with the door, and it didn't slam shut on me.

Sunday I received a picture that the door fell off the "new" oven and it is all in pieces.

I am very skeptical that the door just fell off because of "stripped screws on the handle" and am wondering, how many times do I have to replace this oven?
You have a renter wanting out of the lease or contract....They're trying to start a fire or abuse property to MAKE you throw them out....Just don't renew their contract and when they ;eave, get a nice cheap stove and get good renters instead...

Old 06-24-2016, 11:47 AM

28,115 posts, read 63,680,034 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna-501 View Post
Things must really be worse than I can imagine in Florida?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House