Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-19-2017, 09:26 PM

711 posts, read 688,515 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by davebarnes View Post
Nope.
Price. People are cheap.
Ignorance. Most people flunked high school physics.
Yeah, there's that. I've read a few articles recently that Frigidaire plans to come out with a couple substantially cheaper induction stoves. I'll be interested to see how they're received. I think the lowest price one was $799.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-20-2017, 11:22 AM

7,785 posts, read 18,828,163 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NextStage View Post
Yeah, there's that. I've read a few articles recently that Frigidaire plans to come out with a couple substantially cheaper induction stoves. I'll be interested to see how they're received. I think the lowest price one was $799.
The ones I looked at would require new wiring from the panel to the stove - minimum 50amp. Given the choice of running new electric or running new gas, I pick gas.

Old 01-20-2017, 08:40 PM

30,585 posts, read 25,161,541 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PNW-type-gal View Post
The ones I looked at would require new wiring from the panel to the stove - minimum 50amp. Given the choice of running new electric or running new gas, I pick gas.
We wanted to replace a horrible glass top unit and we looked into having a gas line run for a gas unit, or buying induction. Costs were about the same, except I would have to replace some pots if I chose induction. I did choose induction, and they were able to simply install the new unit in the space where the old one had been.

But if I had to have gas, I'd add a portable induction unit for boiling water.

Old 01-20-2017, 10:35 PM

26,527 posts, read 51,767,782 times
We bought a glass top stove about three years ago to replace our old coil electric stove. We were sort of convinced the new glass tops were the way to go. But we hated it. We tried to like it for about a week. Fortunately the place we bought it at took it back with a full refund, after we we told them we wanted to buy a coil electric stove. The manager was concerned that it would be a few days to get the stove we wanted. Not a problem. We are happy...

Old 01-20-2017, 11:31 PM

7,785 posts, read 18,828,163 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by silibran View Post
But if I had to have gas, I'd add a portable induction unit for boiling water.
I have a portable single induction burner and a sous vide "wand."

Old 01-21-2017, 07:16 AM

9,267 posts, read 5,119,751 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ndcairngorm View Post
The old Cal-rods were so dependable. You could put your cast iron on them, they hardly ever needed cleaning because everything usually burned off, and if they ever burnt out, you could replace them.

These new guys need cleaning with expensive preparations every single day if you have more than two people in a house. Anything that is spilled on them and goes undetected makes a huge stuck-on mess that is sometimes impossible to get off. Any little thing will scratch them - and I don't have a cheap stove but one of the more expensive - and I'm dreading leaving my grown son in the house for two weeks while we go away because I know I will have an enormous job when I come back to get the thing back to new-looking.

Give me my old Cal-rod equipped stove again, please!
Calrods are so old school and ugly! Glass tops are sooooo easy to keep clean. Just can't use cast iron pans so not to scratch.
Why do you make huge messes on the stovetop? Quit it! Train your grown son!
Burned-on spots can easily be removed with a single-edge razor, followed-up with a brand name stovetop glass cleaner.
Try it, you'll like it.

Old 01-21-2017, 08:37 AM

26,527 posts, read 51,767,782 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by finalmove View Post
Glass tops are sooooo easy to keep clean. Just can't use cast iron pans so not to scratch.
That is one big catch... The "Glass tops" do stain and they do scratch. Anybody ever really checked to see what the cost is to replace the "Glass tops"?

How to Repair a Glass Cooktop | Home Guides | SF Gate

Cracked Ceramic Cooktop - My Ceramic Glass Cooktop

Kenmore Electric Range/Stove Replace Glass Cooktop #318223684 ...

Cooktop Glass Top Cracked or Damaged | FAQ | Sub-Zero and Wolf

and on and on...
It is a real issue...

Old 10-01-2017, 11:46 PM

1 posts, read 827 times
I absolutely hate my smooth top range. There are the drawbacks that i have read in this post that i absolutely agree with. However, my main point of utter disgust is that it amplifies the chore of cooking 100 percent and totally eliminates any pleasure found in it. When i start to cook i just want to be done with the pans slipping and sliding all over the stove, before i get burned or burn my house down. It has is no traction like the coil or gas range. I am soooo sad and disappointed. I find absolutely no joy in cooking any longer bc i have to chase my pots and pans over the stove top. Please do not find yourself locked in this nightmare like i am. Your choice...fyi.

Old 10-04-2017, 11:47 AM

4,608 posts, read 3,301,434 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by IMAPROTECTOR2 View Post
I absolutely hate my smooth top range. There are the drawbacks that i have read in this post that i absolutely agree with. However, my main point of utter disgust is that it amplifies the chore of cooking 100 percent and totally eliminates any pleasure found in it. When i start to cook i just want to be done with the pans slipping and sliding all over the stove, before i get burned or burn my house down. It has is no traction like the coil or gas range. I am soooo sad and disappointed. I find absolutely no joy in cooking any longer bc i have to chase my pots and pans over the stove top. Please do not find yourself locked in this nightmare like i am. Your choice...fyi.
Yes, you have to watch it every time you stir something, that the pan is still centered over the heat.

Old 10-04-2017, 12:27 PM

37,315 posts, read 59,869,570 times
We had house with a glass cook top for long time--bought house in early 80 and replaced cook top twice
The kitchen lacked counter space and we would sometimes put groceries down on that cooktop a little to hard--cracked corner once and once my son used heavy pan and cracked the glass...
We have second home in FL and neighborhood is all electric
When the people we bought from remodeled the original kitchen they choose a glass cooktop vs a coil or induction one
That kitchen also lacks counter space--
I went on Etsy and bought a custom made wooden chopping block built to sit right over the cooktop---with the entire block raised above the glass portion--
It rests on the granite countertop that the cooktop sits on---
So legs are on granite--
I keep it on the cooktop all the time so have solid countertop surface vs glass when we bring in groceries--
There is enough space on the left side of the cooktop I can just slide the chopping block down and open up two burners or 3
If I need more burners I move the chopping block to the sink side opposite the cooktop or to the dining room table...

It has been a life safer
Looks great--choose woods that match the cherry cabinets and darker brown granite

Because it is longer than most chopping blocks it was more expensive--and again was custom made
The guy on Etsy I choose used different style of silicone feet--one rectangular for the rear two feet and round ones for the front to make the orientation easy since the depth of the rear side is different from the front...so the front needs to always be on front...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House