Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-12-2016, 03:22 PM

1,478 posts, read 1,516,486 times

Advertisements

I have white Silestone and it goes very well with the look of my kitchen. It was more expensive than any granite I liked. I didn't want to deal with having to seal it every couple of years, and the claim of it being naturally anti-microbial appealed to me.

However, I am the only person on my block with Silestone. Everyone else has granite. I have had people ask why I didn't 'spend the extra' to get granite. Realtors have told me that I will have to rip it out and get granite if I want to sell my home because regardless of how the Silestone looks, buyers in my market expect granite.

I know people say to put in what you like, but if resale is something you may consider down the road, you should take these things into account.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-12-2016, 04:47 PM

6,039 posts, read 6,061,490 times
At the risk of repeating what many others have said over several similar threads...

"Granite" is not some magic, uniform stone that always looks good and wears well. There's such a wide variety of granite from the bland to the wildly exotic in terms of color, pattern, etc. that it's a bit silly to just say that "granite" is always the right application.

It's like saying "wood" is always the better choice. Well, there's soft woods I'd NEVER use for flooring and aromatic woods I'd not use for a countertop, etc.

Haven't we all seen the cheesy flip kitchen where the builder just slapped in some off-key (color and pattern) granite that doesn't play well with any other part of the kitchen?

The same can be said for quartz...or any other counter material for that matter.

We used both a natural stone and a quartz product in our kitchen, both chosen on the basis of their location and daily use.

Old 09-12-2016, 05:04 PM

1,651 posts, read 2,786,611 times
We just finished a remodel - we went for a really sleek and modern look. Granite just wouldn't have looked right, so we used quartz. However, were we to be remodeling a craftsman in the burbs, I probably would have gone for granite because that's what's expected in that market for that style of house. They're both lovely, both functional. I find quartz to be a bit more easygoing for maintenance than when we lived in places with granite, but not so much easier that I wouldn't go for granite if I really wanted it.

Old 09-12-2016, 05:08 PM

54 posts, read 67,433 times
Reasons to Consider Granite Countertops

Reasons to be Cautious about Granite Countertops

Pros and Cons of Granite Kitchen Countertops | CounterTop Guides

Old 09-12-2016, 07:25 PM

2,556 posts, read 2,288,796 times
One of the reasons I chose quartz was that I wanted a more subtle look. I put in a dark gray "slate" (was really porcelain tile that looks like slate) tile that has some movement of other colors and is thus a little dramatic. I didn't want the countertop to compete with it, so the quartz I picked worked the best. I did also look at granite, but nothing was quite right for the look I wanted. Had I chosen a hardwood floor, I would have put in soapstone. I love the way my kitchen turned out, it works for me and that's all I care about.

Old 09-12-2016, 09:10 PM

3,614 posts, read 1,739,937 times
I just remodeled both of my houses and I went with Granite. I wanted Quartz but in both instances the granite was actually less expensive.

Old 09-12-2016, 11:07 PM

3,256 posts, read 2,345,664 times
I have both in my house but I LOVE the quartz. It's so durable and you never have to do anything to it. I also like the uniform look of it.

Old 09-12-2016, 11:33 PM

5,592 posts, read 8,415,945 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lbjen View Post
I have white Silestone and it goes very well with the look of my kitchen. It was more expensive than any granite I liked. I didn't want to deal with having to seal it every couple of years, and the claim of it being naturally anti-microbial appealed to me.

However, I am the only person on my block with Silestone. Everyone else has granite. I have had people ask why I didn't 'spend the extra' to get granite. Realtors have told me that I will have to rip it out and get granite if I want to sell my home because regardless of how the Silestone looks, buyers in my market expect granite.

I know people say to put in what you like, but if resale is something you may consider down the road, you should take these things into account.
^This.

I am actually bored with granite. Where I came from on the East Coast, granite started being standard in the high-end luxury market in the early 2000's. It started filtering down to the rest of us mid-2000s, which is when I replaced my Formica with granite. In a different home in 2010, I went with a contemporary remodel to match the mid-century modern style of the home and used a white speckled Silestone called Mont Blanc. LOVED IT.

I do think it depends on your market, if there is any chance you will re-sell the house in the future. In some markets, granite is still IT. In my former East Coast area, the high-end traditional homes are going soapstone and the urban contemporaries are going quartz. I know everyone disagrees with me but I think granite is on its way out. NOTHING stays in style forever, and once "everybody" has it, the trend will be for something unique and different.

Old 09-13-2016, 12:23 AM

5,251 posts, read 3,616,292 times
I am now contemplating this for my kitchen remodel & am undecided between quartz & possibly formica tops that are styled like Calcatta marble. (I have only seen pics of the Formica product, not in person yet.) Actual marble is too expensive & needs too much care but the quartz ripoffs are very close, you would have to really know stone to know the difference, and they are fairly easy to care for.

Granite has many good qualities no doubt, but it's almost universal presence in kitchens over the last 30 years has given it a "cliche" sameness look that I think will become more of a negative factor in resale in the future for some buyers. It reminds me of the knotty pine paneling popularity in the 40's-50's, or tiled counters like I have now

(Edited to add: Perhaps it is a regional taste thing since I am from the northeast & in an urban area.)

Old 09-13-2016, 06:32 AM

9,267 posts, read 5,129,151 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cupper3 View Post
One needs to consider that granite needs to be sealed at least annually, and is not as impervious to things like hot pots as one may think.
That's an old myth dispelled many years ago.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House