Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-01-2016, 04:37 AM

41,813 posts, read 51,045,587 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Veronicka View Post
I like Kohlers, but I don't like to pay for toilets. This advice may not be something that would interest you but I always get free toilets off of craigslist. When people remodel they usually give away the toilet. That doesn't mean anything is wrong with it, they want a change for some reason.
The bathroom remodel I recently did I put the toilet and 20 year old $150 standalone shower kit by the curb with free sign on it. They didn't last that long. Was a little suprised someone took the shower, probably was used in cabin or something.

That said I would not have used the 50 year old toilet under any circumstance. It was for my Grandmother it required new toilet for two reasons. A)she needed higher toilet because she has difficulty standing up and B) it probably used 4 or 5 gallons to flush. It works fine and she is going to save the cost of the toilet in a year or two.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-01-2016, 05:33 AM

9,502 posts, read 9,816,320 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peregrine View Post
Self Cleaning Toilet:

https://www.americanstandard-us.com/acticlean/

Totally buying on of these next.
Looks cool, but pricey. If you don't need to change your toilet then you could try Kaboom Scrub Free Toilet Cleaner System. I've been using it for years and very happy with the results. It's basically an "automatic cleaner".

Kaboom

Old 11-01-2016, 05:44 AM

5,151 posts, read 4,528,249 times
No one answered my question....hows does a self cleaning toilet work? Would it put a lot of chemicals into a septic system?

Old 11-01-2016, 05:56 AM

41,813 posts, read 51,045,587 times
Well Marcia looks like it has cartridge and injects some cleaner..... It would appear IMO to be complicating what should be pretty straight forward job. Is it really that difficult to squirt some cleaner under the rim, let it sit and then scrub a little? In addition to that I don't see how something like that could ever replace cleaning it by hand. At the very least you would still have to clean the inside of the rim, top of the rim and outside.... Cleaning the bowl is the easy part to begin with.

At best this is something that might be useful for additional cleaning between those manual cleaning jobs.

Old 11-01-2016, 06:02 AM

5,015 posts, read 8,182,251 times
What makes a toilet REALLY worth while is having a heated toilet seat! Well, if you live in a warm climate, maybe it's not all the rage, but baby, when it's cold outside, instead of sitting on a seat and "yelping" you get a nice warm cushie tushie!

I have an older model that has a built in air freshener (cartridges needed).

https://www.brondell.com/heated-toilet-seats/

Old 11-01-2016, 06:53 AM

5,151 posts, read 4,528,249 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thecoalman View Post
Well Marcia looks like it has cartridge and injects some cleaner..... It would appear IMO to be complicating what should be pretty straight forward job. Is it really that difficult to squirt some cleaner under the rim, let it sit and then scrub a little? In addition to that I don't see how something like that could ever replace cleaning it by hand. At the very least you would still have to clean the inside of the rim, top of the rim and outside.... Cleaning the bowl is the easy part to begin with.

At best this is something that might be useful for additional cleaning between those manual cleaning jobs.

Thanks for answering...I also have well water, which stains & leaves deposits in the bowl...don't mind scrubbing...just have to do a lot of it.

Old 11-01-2016, 07:03 AM
gg

26,137 posts, read 25,973,648 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Threerun View Post
The budget line leaves out my recommendation- Toto Drake.
I have two in my home and will always buy them. Love the Drake!!

Old 11-01-2016, 09:08 AM

21 posts, read 19,871 times
self cleaning toilets use harsh chemicals that end up in your drinking water
plus they require power or electricity to operate
could you imagine a power outage and your toilet doesn't flush

Last edited by helpful person; 11-01-2016 at 09:29 AM..

Old 11-01-2016, 09:36 AM

20,726 posts, read 16,368,709 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by helpful person View Post
self cleaning toilets use harsh chemicals that end up in your drinking water
plus they require power or electricity to operate
could you imagine a power outage and your toilet doesn't flush
It doesn't FLUSH at all, or it just fails to do the cleansing operation?

Old 11-01-2016, 10:29 AM

10,225 posts, read 7,583,226 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grumpy ol' Man View Post
If you don't have a Toto, you don't have a toilet...!
I wouldn't even consider any other brand than Toto. I have purchased several over the years, the Drake mentioned is very good, I have several.
I just purchased this Toto for a bathroom remodel at daughter's home. Entrada 2-piece 1.28 GPF Round Toilet in Cotton

Model # CST243EF-01
This one was $177.00 at Home Depot, the soft close seat is purchased extra for $41.00, both including tax was $235.

The Entrada is a smaller toilet for a small space, but still a 1.2 gal per flush.

Toto is special order at Home Depot. I order them on line and pick them up at the local store and free shipping. Find the model you want and special order it through HD. Takes only three or four days to arrive.

With a Toto, you will NEVER, NEVER again ever use a plunger. I can't say enough good things about Toto. do yourself a favor and get one..
Build.com is a good place to purchase also, but easier to return to HD in case of a problem.
DITTO. Toto is the BEST.

Totousa.com.

I got two Totos (the Drakes, bottom of the line, but the BEST low flow flushers in the world!). No problems whatsoever, despite the house being a 1950s house with old pipes. No plunging, no problems cleaning, no clogs for the over 10 years I had them, until I sold the house. The exterior is high quality, easy to clean china or whatever.

The passageways for the Toto I got are larger diameter than the average toilet. They are also coated with a glossy finish inside, for ease of passage, if you get my meaning. It has Japanese engineering, specifically designed for low flow. (The Japanese have been low flow for many years, so they've got this down pat.)

Low flow toilet reviews & recs & studies:
Terry Love's Consumer toilet reports, a report and reviews on toilets
https://thoroughlyreviewed.com/home-...toilet-review/

Here's a tip I learned in my research years ago: Generally speaking, the two part toilets work better than the all-one-piece toilets. (That's is just a generalization, but is often true.)

Here's another tip I learned: The ROUND bowls are easier to keep clean than ELONGATED. This is because there's not much water, so a round bowl is more full of water than an elongated bowl. The presence of more water keeps the bowl cleaner, since there's less bare china exposed in the bowl.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House