Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Would you buy a home that has an HOA
Yes 166 40.99%
No 239 59.01%
Voters: 405. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-19-2016, 07:44 PM

730 posts, read 769,670 times

Advertisements

Our 5 year old daughter was diagnosed with cancer years ago. We were in the hospital for a month with her at the beginning of treatment. Our front lawn grew weeds. We got notices. We contacted the HOA to tell them we were in the hospital as our kindergartener was fighting for her life. They didn't care. They wanted the weeds pulled and delivered fine after fine and threatened to put a lien on our property. A neighbor took pity and pulled the weeds.could you imagine leaving the hospital while your kid was going through painful and dangerous Chemotherapy so you could go pull weeds?!

Those saying people who are HOA heaters are misinformed- well I'm informed. I would never support any organization that couldn't understand homeowners dealing with a life and death situation and was more concerned about freakin weeds! We were Model residents prior to this btw. We moved after our daughter was fully in remission and will never buy in an HOA again.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-19-2016, 08:12 PM

12,016 posts, read 12,764,116 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DoodlemomCoS View Post
Our 5 year old daughter was diagnosed with cancer years ago. We were in the hospital for a month with her at the beginning of treatment. Our front lawn grew weeds. We got notices. We contacted the HOA to tell them we were in the hospital as our kindergartener was fighting for her life. They didn't care. They wanted the weeds pulled and delivered fine after fine and threatened to put a lien on our property. A neighbor took pity and pulled the weeds.could you imagine leaving the hospital while your kid was going through painful and dangerous Chemotherapy so you could go pull weeds?!

Those saying people who are HOA heaters are misinformed- well I'm informed. I would never support any organization that couldn't understand homeowners dealing with a life and death situation and was more concerned about freakin weeds! We were Model residents prior to this btw. We moved after our daughter was fully in remission and will never buy in an HOA again.
They really are inhumane and have no compassion or common sense. I'm surprised we don't hear in the news of HOA members being harmed by tenants or former tenants who move out.

Old 11-19-2016, 09:58 PM

6,738 posts, read 2,910,552 times
Quote:

I'm very sorry to hear about your daughter's medical problems and I hope all is now well, however I do know if I even had to go the the hospital for any reason, I wouldn't take my gardener with me.

Old 11-19-2016, 10:01 PM

6,738 posts, read 2,910,552 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LifeIsGood01 View Post
They really are inhumane and have no compassion or common sense. I'm surprised we don't hear in the news of HOA members being harmed by tenants or former tenants who move out.
Just shaking my head, do posts really get any more ridiculous that this??

Old 11-19-2016, 10:08 PM

18,058 posts, read 10,354,091 times
Quote:

While that all sounds terrible it does not compute. Normally such actions require that you receive multiple notices and you have a right to address the board on the matter. Normally it takes at least 60 days to do all that. And it would be a strange board that does not respond. And if they really did that to you it would have been time to stand and fight and throw the board out. Often less work than moving.

Boards become somewhat jaundiced after a while. There is a small number of people who have these problems which go on for months or years while they cannot do basic maintenance.

I would think I could get the weeds pulled once a month for a relatively small sum. And I would do it even without an HOA to avoid letting the neighborhood run down. And even if I was sick or had a sick kid it would get done.

Old 11-19-2016, 11:06 PM

730 posts, read 769,670 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lvmensch View Post
While that all sounds terrible it does not compute. Normally such actions require that you receive multiple notices and you have a right to address the board on the matter. Normally it takes at least 60 days to do all that. And it would be a strange board that does not respond. And if they really did that to you it would have been time to stand and fight and throw the board out. Often less work than moving.

Boards become somewhat jaundiced after a while. There is a small number of people who have these problems which go on for months or years while they cannot do basic maintenance.

I would think I could get the weeds pulled once a month for a relatively small sum. And I would do it even without an HOA to avoid letting the neighborhood run down. And even if I was sick or had a sick kid it would get done.
The HOA kept upping the issue. I don't believe every HOA acts the way you describe. I'm not sure what doesn't compute here. A "sick" kid and a "cancer" kid are two totally different things. If you are making plans to fix your yard when your kid is struggling to survive, I would say there are some screwed up priorities here. It's obvious some people know NOTHING about taking care of a child with a life threatening illness. But thank God those weeds were pulled!

Whatever. People who write posts like this are the reason many of us avoid HOA's like the plague.
You are on ignore. Bye-bye.

Old 11-20-2016, 01:53 AM

5,511 posts, read 4,477,650 times
Is there a list of pros and cons somewhere to HOA and not having an HOA?

Old 11-20-2016, 05:06 AM

24,559 posts, read 18,269,032 times
Quote:
Pull weeds? In my climate, you just put down anti-germination crabgrass-preventer fertilizer in March and broadleaf weed treatment in June. Any lawn service does that as a matter of course. If you can't afford a lawn service, you're probably going to run into other issues with a HOA because you're likely not maintaining your house properly.

I've owned a townhouse condo at a ski resort since 1993. You cede far more control with a condo association than you do with a typical HOA in a residential community with single family homes.

Old 11-20-2016, 06:40 AM

12,016 posts, read 12,764,116 times
Quote:

They can threaten you with a lien to try to scare you from day 1. They can't impose it them.

People who like HOA's might as well live a life controlled by robots and computers who decide things based on rules and have no sense of decency, leniency or compassion.

The problem with HOAs is they don't offer solutions just fines. They could have set up a volunteer group to help out when there is a family emergency in the area. They could have asked a neighbor who was going to have their landscaper come to also do that home and charge the homeowner a nominal fee instead of fines. Also they should have a fine fund to pay for things like this to help out homeowners that have life in death decisions that are more important than weeds.

Old 11-20-2016, 07:00 AM

1,399 posts, read 1,800,222 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grumpy ol' Man View Post
I'm very sorry to hear about your daughter's medical problems and I hope all is now well, however I do know if I even had to go the the hospital for any reason, I wouldn't take my gardener with me.

Honestly! Your sarcasm is hardly masked by your false condolences. This really has to be one of the stupidest replies I have ever read!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House