Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-02-2016, 09:44 AM

19,802 posts, read 9,341,315 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jean_ji View Post
I like all of them and the fact people get out and try to decorate, mis-matched or matchy-matchy, that doesn't matter. They want to make things nice for the holidays and make the effort. I'm not going to fault anyone for that and I can still enjoy many things I may not put in my yard or around the house. I love that my grandkids in the car shout "Christmas stuff, hooray!" at every house that has decorations (it is going to be a long season ). They haven't learned to dislike yet and have that pure beginner's mind. They are great role models.
I LOVE this post! Thank you!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-02-2016, 09:56 AM

32,636 posts, read 47,986,069 times
I don't dislike them. In fact, I enjoy driving by and seeing them, whatever they are.

My only Grinch comment is that I think it is sad that almost all the very clever decorations of the past have been replaced by no-work-for-me inflatables.

When I was a child, a neighbor had a small train running on tracks around a Christmas village that had all been home built. You don't see stuff like that any more.

I suspect that if I had an immediate neighbor who had a display making loud noise non-stop, I would learn to dislike that pretty quick.

Another sad note, in this era of porch step thieves, if anyone did set up an model train in the yard, it would probably be stolen.

Old 12-02-2016, 10:07 AM

19,802 posts, read 9,341,315 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oregonwoodsmoke View Post
I
My only Grinch comment is that I think it is sad that almost all the very clever decorations of the past have been replaced by no-work-for-me inflatables. When I was a child, a neighbor had a small train running on tracks around a Christmas village that had all been home built. You don't see stuff like that any more.

Another sad note, in this era of porch step thieves, if anyone did set up an model train in the yard, it would probably be stolen.
Yep. I suspect that you are another nostalgic old-timer like I am. When I was a child in Ohio, many people would put in a huge personal effort with displays such as you described, and we never heard of any thievery or vandalism of holiday displays, no matter what they were.

Old 12-02-2016, 10:37 AM

9,446 posts, read 6,573,187 times
Inflatables and Cartoon stuff, including the NY Macy's Parade (have always been amazed that NY gets so excited about that thing).

Old 12-02-2016, 10:53 AM

5,118 posts, read 3,413,716 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harpaint View Post
Inflatables and Cartoon stuff, including the NY Macy's Parade (have always been amazed that NY gets so excited about that thing).
Haha, good point about Macy's.

Old 12-02-2016, 12:12 PM

3,026 posts, read 9,050,093 times
Hang the lights....

Lolsnaps.com - Hang the lights. Check.

Check!

Old 12-02-2016, 12:22 PM

13,447 posts, read 15,469,203 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Qwerty View Post
I don't mind the one color lights as much, except red. There is a house not far from us that does all red lights and it's like driving through a laser beam.

I don't like mismatched lights, the house that has blinking colored lights on one part of the house, a few trees with some white bulbs, maybe a strand or two of colored lights that don't blink, etc.

I also don't like when people only decorate the bottom half of a tree. Buy a couple more strands and run the lights to the top of a tree.
Well our trees are over thirty feet. good luck running lights to the top of those trees.

Old 12-02-2016, 12:55 PM

5,851 posts, read 5,276,683 times
Add me to the dislike inflatables group. I also don't care for trees that have lights that are vertical. To me, they should be horizontal.

Cat

Old 12-02-2016, 01:18 PM

13,447 posts, read 15,469,203 times
actually christmas is a happy time of the year for us and we love all light displays. I can't imagine why someone would "dislike" (even in jest) something, but hey..to each their own. My kids enjoy viewing inflatables, mismatched lights, lights on only one part of the tree, lights on one bush only, whatever...Christmas decoration viewing is a highlight of December. Considering all of the effort it takes to get everything up, I give props to whatever effort someone gives to give my girls enchanting moments

Old 12-02-2016, 01:20 PM

16,544 posts, read 19,676,557 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jean_ji View Post
I like all of them and the fact people get out and try to decorate, mis-matched or matchy-matchy, that doesn't matter. They want to make things nice for the holidays and make the effort. I'm not going to fault anyone for that and I can still enjoy many things I may not put in my yard or around the house. I love that my grandkids in the car shout "Christmas stuff, hooray!" at every house that has decorations (it is going to be a long season ). They haven't learned to dislike yet and have that pure beginner's mind. They are great role models.
WINNER!!! I agree 100% with this woman. And my faith in humanity is restored.
You know what I hate? Houses that DON"T decorate. I wish my whole street did.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House