Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-18-2016, 09:30 AM

1,399 posts, read 1,799,822 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by southernnaturelover View Post
There's a lot of fixtures you can buy to keep from shining light into your neighbor's windows.
Dark Sky Lighting Fixtures - Outdoor Lights | Lamps Plus

There's a church next door to my house and they installed one of those super bright metal halide fixtures that shined right against my house all night, even though there's over 100' between us. Luckily something went wrong with the light sensor causing it to stay on 24/7, and the bulb burned out within two months.
Here is the situation. I am not opposed to installing those lights. For security I am interested in lighting the ground mostly. Some of these actually look nice. However, this will incur time and expense on my part and I am not even sure that the lady next door has that big of an issue with it. I guess the thing to do is to go over to her house and ask "just how bad is it?" If it is a tormenting issue then I will change the lighting. There will always be lights on but perhaps these would be enough to make it a tollerable situation.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-18-2016, 10:45 AM

15,639 posts, read 26,259,230 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cargoman View Post
you have absolutely no idea what you are talking about! You do not live here nor do you know what other things I might do that put me above and beyond what would be a considerate neighbor. Go ahaed and make a conclusion about my character based on a forum post and a few little facts about the situation. Just like the other poster who bashed me based off her dark sky agenda using insulting language thus making her no different than the one she was critical off.
Exactly. I had a special snowflake relative who demanded complete darkness and total silence in order to go to sleep and to stay asleep. Got angry when the kids got sick and coughed because it was disturbing his sleep. Ended up separate bedrooms from his spouse, because she rolled in her sleep and that rustled the covers. Ended the marriage, YAY!!

We don't know this neighbor isn't one of those.

Old 12-18-2016, 11:15 AM

5,853 posts, read 5,281,784 times
We live in a low crime area-but it does happen. Before we moved, my husband noticed a bunch of kids trying to get into our shed that was in the backyard. He went out and confronted them. The story was they used to live there (former tenants of ours) and had left some things in the shed. They hadn't lived there for a couple of years so that argument didn't hold up. Hubby shooed them away. After it got dark, we noticed the back light was on-which was on a motion sensor. Our bet was that those kids came back after dark thinking they could get into the shed without our knowledge. We are pretty sure that when the light went on, it probably scared the bejesus out of them and they took off running. They never came back.

Cat

Old 12-18-2016, 03:09 PM

31,304 posts, read 32,883,423 times
Lightbulb The importance of good neighbors

So many of the home burglaries happen during daylight when people are away from home running errands, off to work, or on a trip. No spotlight needed during the day to startle and frighten them away they’ll just keep on breaking in until someone notices them. That’s when the best solution is having a good neighbor who sees or hears something and notifies the police that a crime is in progress. Good neighbors are important, more important than just lighting up the areas around the house. They’re the ones who help make your home security work, but only if they’ll call the authorities for you while you’re gone.

I have low-level LED lighting at the front and back of the house with dusk to dawn sensors, plus I have motion dusk to dawn LED spotlights on the sides of the house where it’s dark at night, they come on only when needed. However I depend on having good friendly neighbors who help keep an eye on my house just as I do theirs, nothing more important than a good neighbor helping each other.

Old 12-18-2016, 06:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AksarbeN View Post
So many of the home burglaries happen during daylight when people are away from home running errands, off to work, or on a trip. No spotlight needed during the day to startle and frighten them away they’ll just keep on breaking in until someone notices them. That’s when the best solution is having a good neighbor who sees or hears something and notifies the police that a crime is in progress. Good neighbors are important, more important than just lighting up the areas around the house. They’re the ones who help make your home security work, but only if they’ll call the authorities for you while you’re gone.

I have low-level LED lighting at the front and back of the house with dusk to dawn sensors, plus I have motion dusk to dawn LED spotlights on the sides of the house where it’s dark at night, they come on only when needed. However I depend on having good friendly neighbors who help keep an eye on my house just as I do theirs, nothing more important than a good neighbor helping each other.
I agree! That is why one of my neignbors has my email address. So she can inform me if something is off....even with the lights on!

Old 12-18-2016, 09:55 PM

31,304 posts, read 32,883,423 times
When my neighbor’s home be burglarized, I called 911 with a “crime in progress”. Within minutes the police were here, however the two thugs were in and out of the house in minutes. The last thing my neighbor (or I would want) is an email. If you’re going to stop a crime in progress you need to act quickly when you see or hear something going on. Lights on at night or not and during the day it requires good ears and eyes to keep a neighborhood safe. And “yeah”, email me so I’ll know later on that something had happened at my house isn’t what I want. If the neighbor sees it or hears a crime in progress CALL the police first.

Old 12-18-2016, 10:24 PM

44,631 posts, read 61,620,191 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cargoman View Post
I have two garage lights and a light outside the patio and deck. All are 5000k led. They are on sunrise/sunset timers and are on every night of the year. I was just informed by my new nieghbor that my garage lights shine right into her bedroom window. She had a very disapponted look on her face when I informed her that the lights will stay on. Guess coming around the house at night before she bought was not part of her due dilligence.
Like noisiness, light pollution is recognized as a "nuisance" by courts in most parts of the United States. A nuisance is a type of conduct that disturbs a neighbor’s use or enjoyment of property. A neighbor who blasts loud music late at night would be an obvious example of a nuisance. In addition, many cities have passed noise ordinances limiting the times or decibel levels at which residents can make noise.
Dealing With Light Pollution From a Neighbor | Nolo.com

City inspector in our neighborhood made a home owner reduce his light pollution or get fined.

Old 12-19-2016, 08:22 AM

Allright....Alright! For the love of God! I am beginning to see the light! No pun intended. I am going to look into these "dark sky" light fixtures. Because the more I think about it the more I kind of feel bad that my lights might be affecting someones ability to enjoy their home. I guess it is a small price to pay to not be a thorn in someones side.

Old 12-19-2016, 08:28 AM

5,624 posts, read 6,844,919 times
we keep the porch light on at night out front. We only turn on the back if the dogs are out. We need to get a solar one for the garage..

Old 12-19-2016, 08:35 AM

2,221 posts, read 2,096,718 times
I have a quartz fixture on my garage that goes on at dusk, and visa versa. What I like about it is, if there is no motion detected it dims down, but you can still see the surrounding area. As soon as someone trips it it goes brighter than bright.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House