Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-16-2017, 11:02 AM

1,684 posts, read 3,956,019 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by twoincomes View Post
Why are you concerned about how deep it is? Whether it is 100' or 500' makes no difference at this point. It does make a difference on the initial cost of the well but not of well operation after installation.

I have heard of wells drying up - having to have a new one dug. This is all new to me and that's why I'm asking - need to learn.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-16-2017, 11:23 AM

3,158 posts, read 4,591,937 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by littlelou View Post
I'm looking at a house in the mountains that has both septic and a well.... I know the owners have the records for the last 25 years on the septic - not so worried about that other than I know what will eventually happen....

the Well has me a little concerned. I am waiting to hear back on how deep it is, so that will check that off the list of concerns, but my biggest concern is the pump freezing in the winter. The area gets snow and gets cold.... it is rural.... like 20 miles to the next "town". 10 miles to the closest stoplight (actually the only stoplight in the area).... I texted my agent to find out how the pump is maintained - heated - protected. But in waiting I thought I'd ask the C-D experts. What should I have to ensure I have water when the weather turns awful??

We live remote ourselves, sounds like the same deal but 20 miles out from a one stop light small town and major city two hours away... We have a very deep well with great water, 346 Ft it put out 20 GPM, with two cistern that hold up to a 1,000 gal, in the ground only the tops hole exposed, we live in cold country with deep snow never had an issue in the 15 years. We had the well installed so we know what we have, you can go down to the county office and have them pull all the well logs for your area, this well give you a history on the depth when drilled, gallons per minute (gpm) and if anyone well gone dry or if new well had be put in! Next and I would do this, if you put an offer make it contingent on well report, so if things come back as bad water you can get out! ...Have the water tested, a must! You can pick this kits up at well driller business, they'll explain to you how do it and where to send it! ..

The only reason to know the well depth, encase it dry up! This give you an ideal how far you might need to dig and can you afford to! We skip a place because the logs show show the well required a diamond head drill, to through rock. This double even triples the cost, the well logs show the well ran about 90-130 FT but due to the rock the cost were running 40,000.00 not including the well installed equipment etc...We passed... So yes it's important to know history, are well going dry, how many did they dig, how far apart year wise etc, etc! ... Logs will show the history. Still you might have a great well, water like that, you never know..

Last edited by WildCard~; 03-16-2017 at 11:36 AM..

Old 03-16-2017, 12:06 PM

910 posts, read 1,083,038 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Threerun View Post
Yeah mines 22 years old.

I didn't know anything about wells until we purchased our house. The inspector went to check the air pressure on the tank and water came out. He then tested the pump and the pump would cycle on and off every 10 seconds or so. The seller replaced the tank.

The inspector advised us to have the well inspected annually, including a complete water test. He said the newer pressure tanks are of much lower quality and they go bad much faster than the older ones. By the way, the bad pressure tank was 9 years old.

Old 03-16-2017, 07:17 PM

548 posts, read 1,038,600 times
We just put a light in our well house each winter. We did sell some property this year though and when they tested the well it was dry. How it dried up in just a few months from us using it I will never know.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House