Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-19-2017, 01:24 AM

3,563 posts, read 5,387,003 times

Advertisements

Roofing .... don't get me started. Just get two more quotes, and don't worry about the square feet.

Your trees are real close. Do you have carpenter ants as a problem in your area? That's not covered in the quotes and when the roof gets torn off............Ka Ching!! See if you can inspect inside your attic or ants, or other issues with your joists. Or get someone that can!

Last edited by thedwightguy; 07-19-2017 at 01:28 AM.. Reason: extra idea
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-19-2017, 01:26 AM

1,907 posts, read 2,045,333 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by claymoore View Post
Had our first estimate today for a new roof installation.
It is a modest home at just under 1700 sq.
(1642)

The salesman quoted us a price claiming that the footage of the roof was 2500 square feet?

How is that possible?

There is a front porch overhang that is around 120 sq., a storage room of about 180 sq. and two bay windows.
(Maybe 25 sq each)

I'm really guessing on the porch overhang and storage room though.

The house ...
I dunno but with that kind of roof pitch its probably pretty close.

Get some more estimates and compare

Old 07-19-2017, 02:22 AM

1,743 posts, read 994,995 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thedwightguy View Post
Roofing .... don't get me started. Just get two more quotes, and don't worry about the square feet.

Your trees are real close. Do you have carpenter ants as a problem in your area? That's not covered in the quotes and when the roof gets torn off............Ka Ching!! See if you can inspect inside your attic or ants, or other issues with your joists. Or get someone that can!
No bugs of any kind that I can tell.
Attic and joists are in great condition.

Was told $50.00 a board for any that need replacing.

Old 07-19-2017, 02:30 AM

1,743 posts, read 994,995 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by justanokie View Post
I dunno but with that kind of roof pitch its probably pretty close.

Get some more estimates and compare
Not almost another house worth?
Almost a thousand feet?

As in my other post where I said that my in-laws home was over 400 sq larger ... with an identical pitch, their costs was $6,000 while the estimate for mine is $7,500.

Old 07-19-2017, 04:16 AM

10,056 posts, read 18,120,900 times
OP, you keep giving square footage of the house/rooms but that has little to do with the ROOF square footage. (For example, you mentioned that your in-laws had their house done for $6,000 and it is 400 square feet larger than your house. But are they both 2-story houses? What is their roof pitch? Obviously those things make a huge difference.)

Having said that: you said your house is 1,642 square feet plus the porch (120 square feet) plus the storage room (180 square feet) plus bay windows. So the second floor of the house is likely about 821 square feet (half of 1,642); add the porch and storage room and, say, 50 square feet for the bay window and you get just under 1,200 square feet.

Just from that you might say "So how did the roofer get 2,500 square feet?!!" But look at the pitch of your roof; the storage room (assuming that's the room on the right) has a VERY steep pitch, and the house itself has a pretty steep pitch as well (much steeper than many houses up here in New Hampshire). Plus there's the overhang (front and back), plus the different rooflines. With all those things, 2,500 square feet doesn't seem totally out of line to me.

And your quote? $7,500 for a new roof? In 2012 I paid $15,000 for a new roof on a house I'd just moved out of (I'd made it a rental). Granted, that house is a ranch with a 2-car garage so more roof area than yours (although my roof was very basic -- yours is much more complex), but still ... I would kill for a $7,500 roof quote!

(Very nice house, BTW! It would fit well up here in New England!)

Old 07-19-2017, 05:32 AM

18,773 posts, read 18,199,214 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by claymoore View Post
NO WAY!

At my age there is no way for me to get up on the roof to measure.

The pinnacle of the roof has to be at least 25 feet from the ground!
Want to get an approximate measurement without leaving your seat; use Google 'Earth': https://www.google.com/earth/ (the 'free' program). At the top of their page they have a little picture of a ruler; click on it. Then set it for feet and zoom in as close as you can to the roof of your house. My measurements are within one foot of my actual measurements - it's pretty accurate. The only problem would be calculating the unknown slope of the roof; but that would not be hard for some of our mathematicians on CD - if you gave them the overall width and length of the house and the speculation that you have a 1:1 pitch.

If you zoom in too close Earth will take you to a 'street view'. Stop before you go to the street view. You can straighten up the picture using the arrows on the top right side.

Old 07-19-2017, 06:27 AM

41,813 posts, read 51,139,380 times
Get another quote or figure out how to measure it yourself.... just for some perspective here and taking a rough guess the overhangs for eaves themselves are probably 300 to 400 sq. Ft.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Remington Steel View Post
Nice house.

Doesn't square footage equates to "livable" space? As in closets, furnace rooms, etc don't count? So the square footage of the footprint/roof will always be larger than the square footage of livable space. I may be wrong.
Square footage of a house is usually calculated using the outside dimensions of heated space. Porches, the basement where a boiler/furnace is typically located and attic space would not be included. Closets and things like that are included. At least was what we had to measure during a reassessment in my area.

That said you never know, current house my parents live in was listed at 1600 sq. ft. When I was looking at it with them I could see it was not right. They had the inside room dimensions listed in the listing. Sure enough someone had used the inside dimensions and had even excluded the closets. It's more like 2200.

Old 07-19-2017, 07:04 AM

8,280 posts, read 8,686,584 times
Garage?

Old 07-19-2017, 07:11 AM

11,230 posts, read 9,373,610 times
Welcome to the magic of trigonometry.

Old 07-19-2017, 08:29 AM

4,713 posts, read 3,482,547 times
Looks like a Laser Tape Measure could work. See info here:

How To Choose The Best Laser Tape Measure?

Best Laser Measure Reviews 2017: The Most Complete Guide

Might be worth the $50 or so dollars.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House