Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-19-2017, 08:39 AM

2,336 posts, read 2,584,780 times

Advertisements

I'm a numbers guy, so you can fairly easily get an approximation of the area from the ground as follows.

Measure the width of the house, and add 3 ft to account for the eave overhangs. Divide this by 2. Call this number 'A'.
Count the number of clapboards from the eave to the ridge. Measure one clapboard and multiply by the number of clapboards you counted. Convert to feet. Call this number 'B'.
You now have the base and height of a right triangle.
Determine the length of the sloped side 'C' (roof) by using Pythagorean Theorum below.
Double this number (for both sides of the roof).
Multiply this by the length of the house (plus 3 ft for gable overhangs).
Do this for each roof and total them up.

Also, keep in mind that the estimate will figure in some factor for waste, including cutoffs, doubled starter rows, ridge caps, etc. Roofing is typically quoted by 'squares' (100 sq. ft.) and may be rounded up to account for this.

Having said all this, 2500 s.f. sounds pretty reasonable. As other said, get several estimates and compare. Ask questions until you understand what you're being quoted.
Attached Thumbnails
HOW Do You Get 2500 Square Footage From ....-pythagoreantheoremfigure_1000.gif  
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-19-2017, 10:49 AM

4,704 posts, read 25,334,728 times
Here is a quick calculator Roofing Calculator you can use to get a rough idea. I can't really tell your roof slope, but could be 8/12 - 10/12. Also the small gable in the front will add some material because there will be two valleys, so there is a fair amount of waste material used for valleys.
I wouldn't focus so much on the square footage, but the end price. Get more than one quote!

Old 07-19-2017, 03:28 PM

6,175 posts, read 4,558,515 times
I was quoted $7500 for 1300 sq. ft. and about died. I told my sister and she went nuts, yelling about a friend who got a $5500 quote for her house, over 2,000 sq. ft. but in another state. So I got a second estimate: $7500. I'm having a third tomorrow and I think I'm going to have to accept the fact that that is the price for this roof in this area at this time. I agree to never mind the footage, the price is the price no matter how many feet they think it is.

However, this is busy season and I know I can do better in fall. So consider that. I also had a contractor in who looked both inside and out and said a fix of less than $1k would buy some more years. I'm considering that.

Old 07-19-2017, 05:07 PM

16,235 posts, read 25,263,596 times
I'd get a couple more estimates. Beautiful home and property.

Old 07-19-2017, 05:43 PM

16,825 posts, read 17,768,215 times
You can get a better estimate than square footage by measuring the height of the third floor/attic which would be A. The distance from the front lower edge of the roofline, to the back lower edge (measured fro the ground along the side of the house) call this measurement X. Take half of that number and it is B. A^2 +B^2 = C^2. Solve for C. Now multiple C by the width of the roof (also measurable from the ground). Now you have tThe square footage of one side of the roof. Double it.

You don't actually need the roof pitch for this estimate.

Old 07-19-2017, 05:44 PM

11,582 posts, read 6,757,021 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by claymoore View Post
Not almost another house worth?
Almost a thousand feet?

As in my other post where I said that my in-laws home was over 400 sq larger ... with an identical pitch, their costs was $6,000 while the estimate for mine is $7,500.
Then get an estimate with their roofer. If it is their roofer than question how yours could be more! Always get several estimates to compare!!

Old 07-19-2017, 05:52 PM

525 posts, read 662,373 times
What is this, One and Done? Get more estimates and compare! Don't cheap out, but no need to go with the most expensive.

Old 07-19-2017, 06:10 PM

18,773 posts, read 18,199,214 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SolaireSolstice View Post
What is this, One and Done? Get more estimates and compare! Don't cheap out, but no need to go with the most expensive.
There are other considerations besides just the cost of roofing; like the quality of the materials used. How far up from the eves will the contractor run WeatherLock or similar ice/water prevention material? Will they do the valleys? Will they install new flashing? What is the guarantee on the shingles? How much do they charge to dispose of the old shingles or will they even remove the old shingles? Do they hand nail the shingles? How long have they been in business and do they come with recommendations or complaints?

Sometimes it is hard to compare apples and oranges.

Old 07-19-2017, 06:10 PM

11,053 posts, read 24,079,226 times
Can you get a quote from your in-laws roofer?

Other than square feet of roof (which won't be the same square feet as your house, not even close with a pitched roof like that as you already know), there's also the configuration of the roof which can add to the costs. As well as what type of new roofing is going to be used. Etc., etc., etc. When getting quotes, get enough details that you'll be able to compare them in a sensible fashion.

Old 07-20-2017, 01:16 AM

7,658 posts, read 4,632,653 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by claymoore View Post
Had our first estimate today for a new roof installation.
It is a modest home at just under 1700 sq.
(1642)

The salesman quoted us a price claiming that the footage of the roof was 2500 square feet?

How is that possible?

There is a front porch overhang that is around 120 sq., a storage room of about 180 sq. and two bay windows.
(Maybe 25 sq each)

I'm really guessing on the porch overhang and storage room though.

The house ...
Well, you can measure it, and as others have noted, the triangle will make for more square footage.

Alternatively, you can buy the materials yourself from Home Depot or wherever for 2500 SF and return whatever is not used. (just make sure to keep and eye on them while the roofing is being done.)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House