Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-14-2017, 03:45 PM

1,651 posts, read 2,786,012 times

Advertisements

Pretty much what the title says. We're contemplating getting a fire pit that would take a propane tank (the property does not have natural gas lines running to it, and I don't care for wood burning ones), and I question whether or not it will make it warm enough to extend the hours we enjoy our patio, and whether or not we will use it. Thus I am looking to see what people's experiences are. Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-15-2017, 04:13 AM

41,813 posts, read 51,088,087 times
I would suggest it's going to provide very little heat, be very expensive to run and an enormous waste of money... purely ornamental. Even with wood when you have a small fire or you just started it most of the heat just goes up. Once you have established a fire there is lot of radiant heat that will warm you. If you are looking to keep yourself warm look into something that is designed to make heat. The electric rates are so low in your area electric that might be something to consider but without some substantial power running to the patio that might be difficult to accomplish. The propane is going to cost you lot more but you won't have any additional expenses.

Last edited by thecoalman; 09-15-2017 at 04:22 AM..

Old 09-15-2017, 07:06 AM

30,708 posts, read 79,857,385 times
A gas fire pit is just something to look at.

The only way you get significant heat is with a huge bonfire. You are not going to do that with gas, aside formthe fact it would look awful and cost a fortune, it is probably pretty dangerous.

Old 09-15-2017, 07:28 AM

3,546 posts, read 3,119,905 times
People seem to enjoy them quite a bit in my neighborhood. I think if it's in an area you already use quite a bit, you'll use the fire pit. If it's just out in the yard, you probably won't.

Ours is on a deck, which made me nervous at first but having it there has worked out well. We use it about once a week. During the world series and for football games we bring a tv out and watch the game while we're hanging around the fire. We also like to use it when we have parties. It adds a little warmth, but not all that much. It's great at keeping mosquitoes away, though.

Old 09-15-2017, 07:29 AM

17,479 posts, read 66,104,344 times
If you want a decorative element- get the fire pit.

If you want heat get this-
Attached Thumbnails
Do you use your gas fire pit?-img_2898.jpg  

Old 09-15-2017, 09:26 AM

1,651 posts, read 2,786,012 times
Quote:
If you want a decorative element- get the fire pit.

If you want heat get this-
Thanks! Reading all responses has helped solidify that, at least to us, heat is more of a priority than 'pretty'. Will definitely change direction.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House