Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-08-2017, 10:23 AM

10,225 posts, read 7,585,138 times

Advertisements

You can't have too much storage in a house. I would keep the medicine cabinet if it's sunk into the wall, which maximizes storage space. You're going to have a mirror there, anyway. So why not have a bit of storage behind it. Great place for extra soap, First Aid supplies, kleenex, general use medicines like Aleve, etc. It's also a good selling point, when you sell the house. It's impossible to have too much storage, as long as the doors don't get in the way of other important uses for the room.

You can get gorgeous medicine cabinets, now, at resonable prices.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-08-2017, 01:00 PM

3,217 posts, read 2,432,316 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ysr_racer View Post
Again, can't I just put all that crap in a vanity drawer?
Yes. I also assume this guest bathroom is just for dinner guests and not overnight guests so having those items people mention would be items you would have in another bathroom you could grab if needed. If you want to cover the hole cover the hole. Do what you want.

Old 10-08-2017, 11:57 PM

3,272 posts, read 3,933,909 times
I'm thinking of installing a telex machine, next to my 8-track take collection. What do you guys think?

Old 10-09-2017, 06:16 AM

Location: Finally the house is done and we are in Port St. Lucie!
3,487 posts, read 3,338,908 times
Quote:
I'm thinking of installing a telex machine, next to my 8-track take collection. What do you guys think?
BWAHAHAHAHA!

As to original question, now that you've had numerous advice, which way are you leaning towards? Yes or no on the medicine cab?

Old 10-09-2017, 06:34 AM

20,548 posts, read 30,394,464 times
Quote:
I'm remodeling the front/visitor bathroom in a one bedroom, one and a half bathroom condo.

Keep a medicine cabinet, or dry wall over the hole?

I would keep the hole but make shelves instead of a medicine cabinet. Storage is always good. For guests you could line the shelves with decorative jars and fill them with items they might need/use.

Something like this:

Old 10-09-2017, 09:12 AM

Location: Finally the house is done and we are in Port St. Lucie!
3,487 posts, read 3,338,908 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ylisa7 View Post
I would keep the hole but make shelves instead of a medicine cabinet. Storage is always good. For guests you could line the shelves with decorative jars and fill them with items they might need/use.

Something like this:

That is a Fabulous idea!!!

Old 10-09-2017, 09:36 AM

24,202 posts, read 19,210,098 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ylisa7 View Post

Something like this:
I think this is the best idea in the thread! In my old house, I had the mirrored medicine cabinet on the side, with the big single mirror over the double sinks and it just looked silly. But using that space for some open shelving that was functional AND decorative would have been a great solution.

Old 10-09-2017, 10:04 AM

20,548 posts, read 30,394,464 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robino1 View Post
That is a Fabulous idea!!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by emm74 View Post
I think this is the best idea in the thread! In my old house, I had the mirrored medicine cabinet on the side, with the big single mirror over the double sinks and it just looked silly. But using that space for some open shelving that was functional AND decorative would have been a great solution.

Thanks. I love building shelves in between wall studs. There are so many options

It also looks a bit more modern as opposed to an old medicine cabinet.

How to build one if you don't already have one:
//www.city-data.com/forum/49160781-post16.html

Last edited by ylisa7; 10-09-2017 at 10:16 AM..

Old 10-09-2017, 12:15 PM

11,230 posts, read 9,325,075 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve McDonald View Post
If you keep your medications in a bathroom cabinet, that's the first place an intruder will look for them and they'd be stolen. I'd keep them somewhere that would take a lot of hunting to find.
If they want my blood pressure medication, hemorrhoid ointment, Campho-Phenique, Benadryl, and Band-Aids, maybe they'll just take that and leave the money in my desk drawer or the stereo equipment in the living room.

Old 10-09-2017, 05:23 PM

4,608 posts, read 3,301,434 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by turf3 View Post
If they want my blood pressure medication, hemorrhoid ointment, Campho-Phenique, Benadryl, and Band-Aids, maybe they'll just take that and leave the money in my desk drawer or the stereo equipment in the living room.
Haha! Of course, the way the drug companies are ripping us off these days maybe the blood pressure medicine is the most expensive thing in the house these days.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House