Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-07-2017, 07:19 AM

4,725 posts, read 4,420,706 times

Advertisements

I have a kenmore canister progressive very good but getting on in years and don't love the heft of it. I have been eyeing its replacement for quite a while (well maybe not total replacement but newer friend so to speak). I am pretty sure I am going to get a shark but this gets me-------which one??
I would certainly want a liftaway model and then is is navigator or rotator?
I have tile floors and plenty of carpet as well so I want it for both. I want the lightweight and less cumbersome features.
Wondering if anyone has any insight or recommendations.
thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-08-2017, 08:55 PM

11,230 posts, read 9,325,075 times
For carpet I would recommend the Hoover Commercial - the version with the paper bag. For tile I recommend a Fuller broom, dust pan, and dust mop. For general non-carpet vacuuming I would recommend pretty much any canister. My favorite is the old spherical Hoover model (Constellation???)

Old 10-12-2017, 04:52 AM

I am hoping to switch over to a non canister version - although I have been pleased with the one I have, it is extremely cumbersome. I hear such good things about Shark but when I go to look in stores or online, there are so many variations.
I am hoping for more replies on this.
Shark Navigator
Rotator
then within these there are all sorts of other versions- Deluxe, etc.

Old 10-12-2017, 07:02 AM

4,690 posts, read 10,420,226 times
As with any company that spends a TON on marketing, their products tend to be junk. Think about it like this, if you were buying a used car and the person just kept talking up a specific car, and Kept talking it up and KEPT talking it up... wouldn't you start to get suspicious as to WHY they were pushing so hard? If a product is honestly good, there's no real reason to market it (after the initial "hey, we're new" marketing) as any/everyone who has an experience with the product will praise it.

Check youtube reviews from actual vacuum repairmen. Almost universally they suggest a bagged canister type vac as the "best" at doing what a vacuum is intended to do.

But maybe you have to learn like me, by wasting your own money and learning first hand. I hate it, expensive way to learn, but I'm getting better....

Old 10-12-2017, 07:14 AM

9,290 posts, read 14,905,031 times
I just sent a lift off canister Shark back. It was really awkward to use- way too complex, controls badly placed, and the canister did NOT lift off easily.

Old 10-12-2017, 10:27 AM

320 posts, read 353,631 times
I use the Shark Navigator Lift Away Pro and use it for the business I own. It's used everyday and put to the test to say the least.

PROS: Lightweight, you can lift the canister off and use the wand to clean stairs, baseboards, high spots, floors, etc. It even comes with a hard floor attachment cleaner. It has great suction.

CONS: Like all vacuums the parts are cheaply made. Over time the plastic wears and becomes stretched and brittle, eventually snapping. Mine is under warranty and I have to pay $20 shipping to have them send me a new wand because the red dislocation button has snapped. Additionally, the cord isn't as long as I would like it to be.

Other than that, I don't think I can go back to a vacuum that doesn't have a wand. It's a lot easier and convenient then using poles. If I were to get a Dyson for example, there would be no way for me to get in most of the spaces that I currently do without using poles.

I will probably end up buying the newest model that they came out with in the next few months.

Old 10-12-2017, 11:39 AM

6,150 posts, read 4,516,808 times
I bought a Shark Lift Around on closeout and I loved it. It was very light, had great suction, and enough accessories to satisfy everything I had to vacuum. No need to buy bags, washable filters, loved it. Unfortunately, it's all plastic and started coming apart in year three. I still have it, crazy glued together, and would rather pay the less than $100 it cost me to have another than spend a packet on something else that will have its own problems. I have looked at all the new Sharks and can't recommend any of them. They're probably not worth the price.

Old 10-12-2017, 08:35 PM

Wow. I have to say I am so surprised to read so much negative with respect to the brand.
Quite a few people i know have sharks and love them. I just get so confused when I start looking at the different models. I was just hoping to get a better understanding of the features people had and liked or didn't like.
((still seriously considering a shark)).

Old 10-13-2017, 09:10 AM

6,191 posts, read 7,357,387 times
I love my Shark. I think mine is a Rocket? I just wanted a quieter vacuum that was very light and easily went between hardwood and carpet, which mine does, because I am vacuuming over area rugs covering hardwood floors.

Old 10-13-2017, 05:30 PM

15,144 posts, read 27,785,743 times
Have you checked the shopping thread?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House