Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-20-2017, 05:24 AM

12,755 posts, read 9,654,477 times

Advertisements

yes, I just remodeled my only bathroom this summer and replaced the tub with a walk-in shower.

however, I'm retired and plan to stay in the house until the end. so not worried about resale.

my house is small and old; mcmansions have sprouted around me because it's near a train station used by NYC commuters. whoever buys my house after I'm gone (or if plans change) will tear it down and erect another boring mcmansion!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-20-2017, 07:12 AM

5,117 posts, read 6,100,457 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elnina View Post
I just wonder how many people with real, deep, soaking bathtubs would want to get rid of them.
Chime in, please.

Of course those short and shallow basins are not providing any bath pleasure, and I understand why people don't want them....
When we added a new master bedroom we were replacing a tiny master 'bath' that was built in the '70s. It had a small shower at one end then the toilet then a sink. I could sit on the john and reach the controls for the shower and the sink and open or close the window across from the toilet.

We put in a master bath with an oversized walk in shower, soaking/whirlpool tub and long twin sink vanity and good size linen closet. I've really regretted the space and cost of the tub. It is rarely used, uses a lot of water when it is and takes up a lot of space. The grand kids love it but when they were little the size (depth and width) made it difficult to get them in and out. So over all it is a luxury I wish we had avoided.

Old 12-20-2017, 08:32 AM

25,963 posts, read 22,143,367 times
What I am seeing looking for a house is that those with only a shower sell much slower. If I were younger with kids still at home, I certainly wouldn't consider a shower only which would limit the potential buyers of homes with shower only. I wouldn't mind myself, but watching them sit on the market, I wouldn't purchase one.

Old 12-20-2017, 09:19 AM

2,187 posts, read 8,011,415 times
We are currently building a new home. We opted to not have the large tub in the master bath. In our last three homes all had a walk in shower as well as a large tub in master. The tub was nothing but a dust collector for us. We are doing some custom cabinets in the space where the tub would be. We did leave a standard tub/shower combo in one of the other baths so that the house has at least one tub for resale.

I say do what fits your life style. The only people living there are you! Don't include something that makes your life difficult or is a waste for you because of how others live.

Old 12-20-2017, 10:02 AM

28,803 posts, read 47,719,218 times
Went from a crappy Jacuzzi to this. Pictures taken before the glass door was installed. New cabinet over stool is now a nice espresso.

Old 12-20-2017, 01:10 PM

3,493 posts, read 3,207,139 times
I never feel "confident" unless I am dipped in a tub of hot water, fresh bar of Dial, etc. I'm old, I'm single, and I date. "Nursing home scent" (which can creep up on you) must be avoided unless you're sleeping with your devoted spouse of 50 years.

That said, look at those walk-in tubs. They fit the space of a bath tub. They have bubblers if you want. Seat about 16" up. HOWEVER look at the dimensions! Carefully. You may have to dig to find it. Often, that distance between the top of the seat and the overflow is left out! Specifically, you need to know the distance between the seat and the overflow. Most are nothing more than an expensive bucket to place your legs and butt in. But, I have found American Standard brands that actually have more than 20" between the top of the seat and the overflow. They cost around $3500 to $4500 with bubbler (no more than the other ones). Your contractor is going to charge you $20,000 to do the remodel anyways, no matter what - so who cares how much the tub costs? BTW, they have super fast drains in them, too.

Just make sure you have a 50 gallon tank (60 is better) and a sturdy floor beneath. Far as I'm concerned, the old bath tub is a Fred Flintstone thing. As important as a good deep soaking bath is concerned, I've shelved the idea of a $35,000 pick up truck and went with the walk-in tub. It was a good decision. My "dance card" is loaded. I'm poplar because, if nothing else, I smell good. I get there in my 5 year old Caravan.

Last edited by TwinbrookNine; 12-20-2017 at 01:24 PM..

Old 12-20-2017, 02:53 PM

11,582 posts, read 6,743,389 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnywhereElse View Post
What I am seeing looking for a house is that those with only a shower sell much slower. If I were younger with kids still at home, I certainly wouldn't consider a shower only which would limit the potential buyers of homes with shower only. I wouldn't mind myself, but watching them sit on the market, I wouldn't purchase one.

I agree! Homes with absolutely no tub will take longer to sell. I think it's fine to take the tub out of the master as long as you have a tub in another bathroom in the house.

Old 12-20-2017, 04:17 PM

24,559 posts, read 18,286,736 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fox Terrier View Post
yes, I just remodeled my only bathroom this summer and replaced the tub with a walk-in shower.

however, I'm retired and plan to stay in the house until the end. so not worried about resale.
+1, other than retirement is still maybe 5 or 6 years away.

I went with a 36"x60" Kolher cast iron shower base and two showers.

Old 12-20-2017, 06:24 PM

2,556 posts, read 2,287,141 times
I wish I could get rid of my tub/shower. I haven't taken a bath in years. Shower only here! but it is my only full bathroom, so it is probably too risky.

I live in a 2 bedroom, 1.5 bath townhouse, so it's possible a tub wouldn't be as necessary to potential buyers for this type of property. I am also in an end unit of a highly desirable condo community where units typically sell in a weekend and end units the day they're listed, so maybe it wouldn't such a big deal. But still, I don't know. For my own use, I would much, much, much rather have a walk-in shower than the tub/shower combo thing though. It's a bit weird to make decisions based on some unknown possible future buyer, but I guess it's a necessary thing.

Re: bathing dogs: You know, I've always found it easier to wash my dogs in a shower than a bathtub. I just bring the dog in with me. Trying to bathe a dog in a tub while leaning over the edge, I always end up completely soaked anyway. And getting the dog up and into and out of the tub can be difficult, especially with a bigger dog who doesn't necessarily want to be there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House