Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-11-2018, 05:34 AM

5,455 posts, read 4,060,534 times

Advertisements

Something I always notice in movies and TV shows, when someone opens a window, there is no screen - they can jump right out, throw something, lean out, whatever.

Where I grew up (northeast US) we always had screens. But I asked about this on another forum a while ago and apparently not everyone has them.

So, do you have them, and what area are you in? Are there places where it is normal NOT to have them?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-11-2018, 06:09 AM

9,361 posts, read 14,123,174 times
Hawaii has no screens because there are no mosquitoes. Here in Raleigh I found that I only open a few specific windows throughout the year, so those have screens. The rest of the screens I removed and store in a shed because it makes the view out those windows cleaner and brighter.

Old 02-11-2018, 06:14 AM

Location: Finally the house is done and we are in Port St. Lucie!
3,487 posts, read 3,342,968 times
Older homes didn't have screens. Anyone remember having these?

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Wood-Fram...&wl13=&veh=sem

We've taken out the screens on our back windows only because we have a screened in pool and those windows (and sliding glass doors) are protected from the bugs from getting in.

We live in Florida now and screens are a must have.

Old 02-11-2018, 06:30 AM

34,094 posts, read 83,020,975 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VTsnowbird View Post
Something I always notice in movies and TV shows,
when someone opens a window, there is no screen
And in most face on auto scenes in movies and TV shows there is no windshield.
Same reasons.

Old 02-11-2018, 06:31 AM

2,221 posts, read 2,099,642 times
Yeah, screens are a must here on Long Island. Skeeters, House Flies , and Stink Bugs will do you in if windows are not screened. Also I have many bird feeders that I put up for the winter, and occasionally get bird strikes. The screens help to cushion the blow if one does hit the window area.

Old 02-11-2018, 06:45 AM

7,246 posts, read 7,085,104 times
Screens here. The previous owner never used them. They were in a stack, still bundled from the factory, in the garage. One of the very first things I did was put them in. I love fresh air.

And yes, I remember those add-on screens! We had them in CT in the 70's.

Old 02-11-2018, 06:45 AM

13,496 posts, read 18,203,340 times
Quote:
Something I always notice in movies and TV shows, when someone opens a window, there is no screen - they can jump right out, throw something, lean out, whatever.

Where I grew up (northeast US) we always had screens. But I asked about this on another forum a while ago and apparently not everyone has them.

So, do you have them, and what area are you in? Are there places where it is normal NOT to have them?
I grew up in Western NY state, and everyone had screens except the very poor.

Now I live in southern Portugal and I am one of the minority who has screens on some windows - on my doors actually, as they are what I open from fresh air. My reason is to keep bees and flies out...and the endlessly inquisitive sparrows. Most houses and apartments that I see have no screens.

Old 02-11-2018, 07:20 AM

10,101 posts, read 6,444,912 times
Yup, all my windows have screens. When the weather is nice I love to open as many windows as possible and air the house out, and I don't want bugs to come inside. I also don't want the cats to jump outside!

Old 02-11-2018, 07:44 AM

3,302 posts, read 3,031,394 times
Quote:

Living in the Upper Midwest, every house and apartment I've lived in had screens. If not, the house would be filled with flies and mosquitoes in the summer.

Old 02-11-2018, 07:55 AM

1,544 posts, read 1,701,638 times
Living in South Carolina I have screens, but in when I lived in San Francisco I just had the window screen inserts. Screens for 100 year old Victorian would have to be custom made and very expensive.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House