Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-22-2018, 09:09 AM

7,087 posts, read 8,637,620 times

Advertisements

Next house we are looking at:

-4 bedrooms (or 2 bedrooms and 2 offices, whatever)
-Dedicated entertainment room that isn’t a living room and is nowhere near the master bedroom, well soundproofed in other words from sleeping area.
-Space for home gym, even if it’s an open loft area or in a large entertainment room (like present in our basement).
-Modern construction, modern style.
-Living room area with at least 15’ ceilings preferably taller.
-Energy efficient home with airtight sealing, 2x6 or better construction with quality insulation.
-Pool and hot tub.
-Fire pit and general outdoor entertainment area.
-Master planned community ideally and gated neighborhood.
-Close access to many restaurants and retail, no more than 5 minutes from the nearest restaurants.
-State of the art HVAC (I can do this myself after purchase).
-Soundproof window additions (after purchase).
-Blackout drapes as good as a five star hotel, complete darkness in bedrooms.
-Hard Wood floors throughout, no carpet anywhere.
-3 car garage / space for equipment.

Probably a few more things but that covers most of it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-22-2018, 08:52 PM

5,510 posts, read 9,494,989 times
If I'm in the market for a house, it must have:

- Built before 1930.
- Lots of original features: unpainted woodwork, pocket doors, built-ins, etc.

It must not have:
- Replacement vinyl windows
- Lots of remuddling, the more original the house, the better. (except for the electrical system, I don't care if the wiring is original)

Old 09-22-2018, 09:08 PM

13,011 posts, read 13,050,479 times
Wow. Some people have amazingly specific requirements for houses.

Old 09-23-2018, 12:32 AM

7,029 posts, read 4,898,284 times
Well, the inside could be tweaked a bit, but I'd love to have this house:

https://robinsonplans.com/home-plans...e/ontario-504/

Old 09-23-2018, 08:15 AM

50,378 posts, read 63,993,273 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JR_C View Post
If I'm in the market for a house, it must have:

- Built before 1930.
- Lots of original features: unpainted woodwork, pocket doors, built-ins, etc.

It must not have:
- Replacement vinyl windows
- Lots of remuddling, the more original the house, the better. (except for the electrical system, I don't care if the wiring is original)
...and the HVAC.

My daughter just bought a 100 year old 4 square in MO. There is a historic board that dictates what they can do. In order to get approved replacement windows it would have cost $65,000. There are a lot of acceptable replacement windows, other than white vinyl. The fact that an old house cannot tastefully use energy efficient replacement windows at a reasonable cost is not right. The only option for them are storm windows, which will not look as good as replacement, so how does that make sense?

Old 09-23-2018, 08:29 AM

1,781 posts, read 1,208,401 times
What I miss most in this house is a foyer (front door opens directly into great room). There are other things but since I can't afford a new house I try not to think of it!

Old 09-23-2018, 08:42 AM

5,510 posts, read 9,494,989 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gentlearts View Post
...and the HVAC.

Sort of... If the house has a forced air system, I don't care if the furnace and/or ductwork has been replaced. But, if the house has a steam or hot water system, I do care if the radiators have been removed. (although, again, I don't care if the boiler has been replaced) I can't stand the look of those hydronic baseboard heaters that many people will use to replace original radiators.

Quote:
My daughter just bought a 100 year old 4 square in MO. There is a historic board that dictates what they can do. In order to get approved replacement windows it would have cost $65,000. There are a lot of acceptable replacement windows, other than white vinyl. The fact that an old house cannot tastefully use energy efficient replacement windows at a reasonable cost is not right. The only option for them are storm windows, which will not look as good as replacement, so how does that make sense?

I'm definitely a proponent of keeping original windows. But, I wouldn't pass on a house just because it had high quality replacement windows. (although I'd still consider it a waste of money...)

My current house has ugly aluminum triple-track storms. The last time I had it painted, they painted over the aluminum frame around the edge, and that helped a lot to make them less noticeable. I think original styled wood-frame storms--with hardware that allows them to open, with hinges at the head--would look better. But, I'd lose the functionality of having screens. There is also the option of having interior storms. But again, I lose the functionality of having screens, and the original windows are exposed to the weather.

Old 09-23-2018, 10:29 AM

15,293 posts, read 17,687,736 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gentlearts View Post
...and the HVAC.

For a lot less she could have the existing windows refurbished with insulated frames and thermopane glass. Contractors are buried in work right now, but when the next crash rolls around have her talk to a cabinet shop for the frames and a glass shop for the panes. She can tell the historic board that she is not replacing the windows, she is just repairing the original windows. They will roll over like a six month old puppy. As long as they look the same from the outside, nobody will care.

Old 09-23-2018, 10:34 AM

20,548 posts, read 30,397,537 times
Must haves:
Safe area
Electric
Indoor plumbing
Low taxes
A yard big enough for privacy and a small garden
No road noise

Wants:
1500 sq ft or less
outdoor area to lounge...porch, deck, patio etc.
workable kitchen
Lots of storage
Shed or garage with electric
Lots of light
no close neighbors

Old 09-23-2018, 10:42 AM

2,535 posts, read 3,101,947 times
^ “Safe area” AND “low taxes?”
How do you expect the police force to be paid?
And “no close neighbors” means fewer eyes on the street, which hurts crime prevention.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House