Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-05-2018, 02:38 PM

6,706 posts, read 5,937,576 times

Advertisements

When we lived in Phoenix AZ, we kept the thermostat at 80 and ran the ceiling fans. When coming into the house from 110 F, it felt downright cool and comfortable.

Would like to understand exactly how ceiling fans prevent mold. I would think mold lives on humidity, and fans do nothing to remove water, so you would really want dehumidifiers and AC.

When not at home or even in the room, we always turned off the fans. They were actually heating up the room because the electric motor generates heat.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-05-2018, 03:01 PM

1,879 posts, read 1,554,821 times
We leave them on a middle setting basically all of the time when the AC is on. We will turn them off if we're gone for an extended period such as vacation.

Old 10-05-2018, 07:16 PM

404 posts, read 1,245,420 times
I forgot to shut off a fan a few months ago and upon returning after being gone for a couple of hours, I walked in to chaos. The fan had gone berserk, hanging precariously from the ceiling and spinning wildly. It was so out of control I couldn’t even catch the tangled pulls to turn it off and was afraid it was going to fall on my head and kill me, lol. Immediately called an electrician who asked me to text him a photo. He was nearby so came right over and said we narrowly avoided a catastrophe – the wires were still extremely hot and crackling. Lesson learned. I do not leave fans on anymore.

Do you leave your ceiling fans on?-ceilingfan4.25.18.jpg

Old 10-05-2018, 10:21 PM

8,726 posts, read 7,414,967 times
I have twice seen the results of them burning up and catching fire, I will never leave them on if I am not home.

Old 10-06-2018, 05:45 AM

2,619 posts, read 3,150,063 times
We've had one running 24/7 for about 25 years and another for about 20 years. Turn off only to dust or change direction.

Old 10-06-2018, 05:51 AM

2,619 posts, read 3,150,063 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ohmanon View Post
I forgot to shut off a fan a few months ago and upon returning after being gone for a couple of hours, I walked in to chaos. The fan had gone berserk, hanging precariously from the ceiling and spinning wildly. It was so out of control I couldn’t even catch the tangled pulls to turn it off and was afraid it was going to fall on my head and kill me, lol. Immediately called an electrician who asked me to text him a photo. He was nearby so came right over and said we narrowly avoided a catastrophe – the wires were still extremely hot and crackling. Lesson learned. I do not leave fans on anymore.

Attachment 203358
From your photo, it looks like a safety pin was left out when the fan was assembled. The mounting stem goes from ceiling canopy to mounting collar on fan housing, sometimes threaded in. A pin goes through mounting collar through stem and a cotter pin holds it in place. That looks to have been left out. Over time your fan slowly came loose on the threads or loose from the other screws on the mounting collar.

This could have happened while you were sitting in the room. Had nothing to do with being left on. You did nothing wrong.

Old 10-06-2018, 08:31 AM

7,087 posts, read 8,637,620 times
I agree with a few earlier comments, I run don’t walk from a house I’m considering buying if there’s fans anywhere. Central HVAC should cool a house to 65 in any temperature if it’s properly sealed and the unit is high end, which for me is a must as I literally can’t think of a single thing more important in 1st world living than the ability to control indoor temperatures perfectly. Ceiling fans just move air around, they don’t improve the actual temperature. No thanks.

Old 10-06-2018, 08:47 AM

404 posts, read 1,245,420 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmellc View Post
From your photo, it looks like a safety pin was left out when the fan was assembled. The mounting stem goes from ceiling canopy to mounting collar on fan housing, sometimes threaded in. A pin goes through mounting collar through stem and a cotter pin holds it in place. That looks to have been left out. Over time your fan slowly came loose on the threads or loose from the other screws on the mounting collar.
Good information. Thank you.

Old 10-06-2018, 09:55 AM

356 posts, read 281,709 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JonathanLB View Post
I agree with a few earlier comments, I run don’t walk from a house I’m considering buying if there’s fans anywhere. Central HVAC should cool a house to 65 in any temperature if it’s properly sealed and the unit is high end, which for me is a must as I literally can’t think of a single thing more important in 1st world living than the ability to control indoor temperatures perfectly. Ceiling fans just move air around, they don’t improve the actual temperature. No thanks.
I find that I can keep the thermostat set a couple of degrees higher with the ceiling fan running. This saves me money on AC. I keep my ceiling fans running 24/7 in the bedroom and living room, off in guest room I don't use, and the patio only when I am out there and the outside temp is high enough to need it.

Old 10-06-2018, 11:08 AM

4,009 posts, read 6,865,329 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maciesmom View Post
We leave ceiling fans on most of the time. I've replaced ceiling fans after 15+ years to update; never had a motor burn out.
Our house was built in 1959 and all of the ceiling fans were installed by the original owner. We leave our fans running almost 24/7, and have only had to replace 2 of the 5 fans since we've been here (5 years). Considering they're over 50 years old, that's pretty good!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MsVulcan500 View Post
I find that I can keep the thermostat set a couple of degrees higher with the ceiling fan running. This saves me money on AC. I keep my ceiling fans running 24/7 in the bedroom and living room, off in guest room I don't use, and the patio only when I am out there and the outside temp is high enough to need it.
The bolded!

I totally agree.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House