Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-09-2019, 10:16 AM

13,448 posts, read 15,508,787 times

Advertisements

There are things that are sentimental to me, from my (and my kids') childhood(s) that I intend to keep for the rest of my life. Many people may consider such things "junk" because they're toys, clothes, dolls, old manuscripts I wrote as a child, etc. But I find value in them. I use overhead rack systems now so that we can have clear floor space.

People should use their garages however they choose.

We have a big parking pad outside of the swing-in, side entry garage that can hold four cars by itself. It's far easier to park there than deal with a swing in garage and then dealing with a long driveway. There are days when we park the new financed vehicle in the garage but the older, poor paid off car is outside all of the time. LOL. The garage is oversized for a two car, but not oversized enough IMO. At the same time, a 3 car garage was not a big item on our househunting list.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-09-2019, 11:40 AM

5,854 posts, read 5,295,343 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonic_Spork View Post
Honestly I just feel like, if I am not inconveniencing my neighbors, and I'm not creating an eyesore with an open garage door to a portal of unsightly crap, then it's my business and nobody else's what I'm doing with my garage. My neighborhood has a ton of parking spaces and street parking (on a street behind the neighborhood, NOT in front of other people's homes) and I see no reason why using my garage for storage merits being anybody's "pet peeve." So yeah, I have to clear snow and ice off my car sometimes. Again, my business, not yours.

People need to calm the heck down about what others are doing. Maybe it's just having grown up in the DC burbs but I know a thing or two about minding my own business.

I find it odd that people would actually get upset about what others are doing if it really doesn't affect them.

Now if your neighbors are parking a bunch of cars on the street, making it hard to maneuver or taking up all the parking in front of YOUR house, or if they're making the neighborhood ugly in some way, I can understand. But plenty of people who use the garage for storage aren't imposing on anybody in any way. I dunno. I've lived in places, as I mentioned, where being nosy is a good way to get shot or something, so the urge to peer into a neighbor's garage and judge them on it is totally foreign and strange to me. I do not get it.
I was going to post something like this. 28 pages of people telling other people how they should and shouldn't use their garages. Who made these people the "garage police"? If I chose to park my car in my garage, driveway, street, or even in my living room, how does that effect them at all?

Cat

Old 01-09-2019, 12:23 PM

2,867 posts, read 3,567,850 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonic_Spork View Post

People need to calm the heck down about what others are doing. Maybe it's just having grown up in the DC burbs but I know a thing or two about minding my own business.

Ha! Soooo TRUE!! I live in the DC burbs on the VA side - curious what area you grew up in?

Old 01-09-2019, 06:56 PM

28,115 posts, read 63,731,080 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldtrader View Post
We have a 3700 sq foot custom home on 5 acres across the county road from the best part of our small town. Our garage is 36x36 feet. 2 doors so more room for cars. We have metal storage shelves on both sides of garage for storage, and 5 feet between garage doors. Back of garage, is a 4 foot deep raised area concrete platform fo or additional storage and door into the house. In addition we have a large metal pole barn 150 feet from the the house, so we have lots of storage, and a place to keep our cars inside.

2 stables off of barn where we keep our tractor with mower for summer, and take off mower and install snow blade in winter. Our home sits back from road with a private 500 ft lane,so we need our snow plow. Landscaped area is 1 acre, with mature trees so need a tractor with mower to maintain it. We have a man come in use our equipment to take care of the place, as at 87 years old I don't care to do it any longer.

So we have lots of storage, and cars inside, as well as a place to keep a tractor, mower, and snow blade.
Sounds like heaven to me... and very close to the one that got away.

5 acres... 3600 square foot home with brick and 36 x 30 3 car and a separate 40 x 96 shop insulated with dormers, plumbing and hear...

Everything I owned of value would have had a place...

Old 01-09-2019, 07:27 PM

1,532 posts, read 1,416,955 times
I like to be on the go. I can't be bothered with the garage taking its sweet time to open and close.

Old 01-09-2019, 10:19 PM

28,803 posts, read 47,742,521 times
We have neighbors with a three car garage.

The driveway/street contains two big black SUVs, A silver Porsche, and a a dark blue BMW.

My wife went by one day when the garage was open. Filled floor to ceiling with "stuff".

Old 01-10-2019, 08:19 AM

10,113 posts, read 6,461,064 times
Well, we're supposed to get a lot of snow this weekend. Am I going to park my car in the garage? No, I am going to park it in the driveway close to the street so I don't have to shovel the entire parking area and the driveway just to get out of the house and to the store if necessary (not that I won't stock up beforehand.)

Old 01-11-2019, 09:38 PM

11,025 posts, read 7,858,607 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tek_Freek View Post
We have neighbors with a three car garage.

The driveway/street contains two big black SUVs, A silver Porsche, and a a dark blue BMW.

My wife went by one day when the garage was open. Filled floor to ceiling with "stuff".
And?

Old 01-12-2019, 01:13 PM

28,803 posts, read 47,742,521 times
And what? Did you not read the subject line for this thread?

Old 01-12-2019, 09:10 PM

11,025 posts, read 7,858,607 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tek_Freek View Post
And what? Did you not read the subject line for this thread?
Yeah, it's about people who have garages and don't use them for their cars not about people who take an undue interest in their neighbors' vehicles down to the make and color and repeat same as if it matters. Is there a point in such minutiae?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House