Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-11-2018, 10:26 AM

15,796 posts, read 20,499,262 times

Advertisements

Time to upgrade the snowblower. The one I have now is simply too small, and too obsolete where parts are hard to get/expensive.

I live in MA, where we can get storms of 12"+ a few times a year, and last year we had a storm or two with 18"+.

I'm looking into 2-stage, probably 30" wide blowers, but one of the key criteria i'm trying to research is throwing distance. My driveway is 3 cars wide, and the issue I run into now is the small one can't reach the edges so i'm dumping snow where I need to go clear it again and that makes it more difficult.

So those of you who get deep snow, what do you use and recommend?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-11-2018, 06:08 PM

1,858 posts, read 3,103,840 times
This is the one I have. No complaints. Does well on my Akilah width driveway.

https://m.lowes.com/pd/Ariens-Deluxe...AaAjuMEALw_wcB

Old 09-11-2018, 10:04 PM

220 posts, read 469,965 times
We have the Ariens deluxe, 24". It's been great. We're in CT, so similar snow, and also have the same issue with a really wide driveway at the top. It can throw the snow all the way from the middle to the edges, and then by the end of the winter it can shoot it over the huge built up snow banks on the sides.

It's also easy to handle, which was important since it seems 95% of the time my husband is at work for the big storms. I'm a small woman and I have no problem using it.

Old 09-11-2018, 10:10 PM

6,573 posts, read 6,738,168 times
Always have used a Toro. My Toro is about 20 years old & working fine. Just had it reconditioned for the first time in about 7 years for 180 dollars. 21 inch Power Clear for 500 dollars should be enough for you in the Boston area.

Old 09-11-2018, 10:33 PM

7,448 posts, read 7,586,758 times
I have a Troy-Bilt 28" with solid tires, electric start and heated grips. Works great for me.

Old 09-12-2018, 04:56 AM

28,453 posts, read 85,370,617 times
I live in Illinois and we get lots of snow. My BIL lives in Wisconsin and gets even more. He has convinced me that ARIENS is the top firm in two stage machines, it makes sense as the folks who design the machines are all located in Wisconsin where they get plenty of hands on experience with wet heavy snow and they build these machines to throw the snow as far as possible.

With a wide driveway there is always a question of whether you want just the "upsized" motor for throwing efficiency -- https://www.snowblowersdirect.com/Ar...er/p67269.html

OR the wider snow blower so you clear the area faster, this one has electronic fuel control for better starting, consistent performance, and lowest emissions -- https://www.snowblowersdirect.com/Ar...er/p77406.html

It's big step up in cost for the more sophisticated motor but it probably makes sense if you go up to the 36" unit...

Old 09-12-2018, 04:56 AM

341 posts, read 302,559 times
I also have an Ariens deluxe, 24" and it does a great job. I have a driveway that's 75ft long and 2 car widths wide with quite an incline (service vans had gotten stuck in the back and had to be towed out when it ices up). I was afraid it might be a little small, but in the past 3 years in the metro-west area, it's worked like a champ. Takes a bit more time at the end of the driveway with wet, heavy packed snow, but it's always done the job for me, and you know how much snow we've had in the past 3 years. The 24" had 2 different engines when I got mine, so get the bigger engine if you can.

Old 09-12-2018, 07:03 AM

30,708 posts, read 79,802,285 times
Many of them are made by the same company. Even the ones that are not are still pretty much the same. The brand of the unit is pretty irrelevant.

Do not get a cheap one.

Look for: Large wheels; direct-able discharge; a solid brand engine (Honda, Tecumseh, B & S, Kholer), make sure it is a commonly used engine (used in many different brands) so parts will be readily available; sufficient horsepower but no need for overkill, you do not need a 20 hp motor in a snowblower); I prefer the semi flexible composite blades because we have a gravel driveway.

Do not get an electric one.

Our driveway is 160 feet long, my dad's is 240. We have had several different snow blowers, as long as you do not go cheap, they all throw the snow plenty of distance. Wider ones are not always better. They are heavier and in deep heavy snow the can be hard to maneuver and get bogged down. Sometimes you have to take a half cut with them. If you are big and muscular, a wider one may be better. If you are older or small, a less wide one will be easier to handle.

My dad had one that mounted on his little Case tractor (garden tractor not lawn mower tractor) for a while. It was easier to use unless the tractor got stuck. However it was far less maneuverable and a PIA when it got stuck, plus you had to put chains and weights on the wheels (and then it still got stuck). In the end, he opted for a walk behind instead.

Ours have always been three stage, except the one on the tractor. (and a little cheapo one my wife bought at a garage sale which was a POS).

Old 09-12-2018, 07:24 AM

8,079 posts, read 10,077,804 times
Ariens.....24"....don't go too big, the 24 is plenty.

Syracuse, NY...the snowiest city in America.

The machine is going on ten years old. Has blown through everything from a couple of inches to three feet or more. Throws snow as far as you would like...and, as pointed out earlier, up and over the 8 foot banks that accumulate by mid winter.

Reliable. Powerful. No fancy gizmos. Just gets the job done.

I maintain it once a year...oil, lube, clean, silicone spray, air to tires (no chains, don't need them), and wax all painted parts.

Machine is an animal when it comes to moving a LOT of snow.

Old 09-12-2018, 07:37 AM
46H

1,652 posts, read 1,400,642 times
Please let us know if you buy it, because if you do, it will be a zero snow year for your area. That means I will not have to buy one this year.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House