Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-31-2019, 06:25 AM

2,668 posts, read 4,497,096 times

Advertisements

I get the car starter part but if your inside a garage, especially an insulated one the temps can be above freezing meaning your car warms up faster than letting it idle for 15 minutes.

I get others have multiple cars (kids cars) that have no spot in the garage but for me it has always been a place for cars. My in laws don't use the garage, it's his workshop. But when my wife and I moved in together years ago we used the garage for it's purpose and she never looked back. To the point when we were house hunting a requirement was an attached garage with entry, the house then did not have that.

Thankfully though we have a very large 2.5 car garage that is plenty wide and deep for many other things to be stored, a shed out back, and a basement so it does make using it for cars easier. I don't ding people for parking outside, I do however tilt my head at the converted garage, but for budget minded who want more living space again I get it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-31-2019, 06:29 AM

3,435 posts, read 3,945,234 times
People have a lot of crap and they use the garage as a storage area. Makes no sense to me, but to each his own.

Old 01-31-2019, 06:41 AM

857 posts, read 844,463 times
Some people use their garage for storage, home gyms, etc. thus not leaving enough space for a car. When I had my bikes, they were always garaged but now w a garage gym and a truck that just wont fit anyway, the vehicles stay outside. Never really cared much for parking in a garage. I myself am surprised how many people do use their garages for vehicles actually. They need to buy more stuff so garage parking isnt even a possibility.

Old 01-31-2019, 06:43 AM

487 posts, read 536,988 times
Wife parks in the garage but my bay I have motorcycles, dirtbikes, quads, trailer, etc.. I drive a low cost commuter car and it doesn't bother me parking it outside.

Old 01-31-2019, 07:11 AM

2,706 posts, read 3,380,359 times
I had already posted a reply, but wanted to add that our previous home (big Townhouse) did have a two car garage which attached at the Kitchen (great for grocery shopping), and enjoyed the benefit of having it. I do miss the idea of having a car in the garage, and can probably make ours usable as such, I do not mind having our car / truck out in the driveway, as it makes it so much easier having the equipment for the season easier to get to.....who knows, maybe this Spring I'll change my mind and rearrange the shed to hold all the equipment....it can be done. It doesn't matter to the Wife, as long as I clear off the snow from her car

Old 01-31-2019, 07:13 AM

21,758 posts, read 28,086,032 times
I use both spots in garage.

Old 01-31-2019, 07:24 AM

134 posts, read 113,565 times
We have a two car garage and we park both cars in them every day. I sleep better at night knowing they are in the garage as that is one more level of protection from theft and vandalism. As part of my routine before I go up to bed at night, I turn off the garage door opener so someone can not open the garage door while we are sleeping (I also check all doors and windows. Sound like a lot to do, but it is just a quick check that is part of my routine).

I thought of one more thing. We live in a California style subdivision (large houses on small lots). In meeting with one of the neighbors a few days ago, you would be at least surprised if not shocked about how much they know about you just by watching you out their windows. Parking in the garage, and loading/unloading in the garage, gives you some privacy.

Old 01-31-2019, 08:40 AM

6,816 posts, read 11,545,464 times
Some people drive SUVs or pickups that don’t fit in the garage.

Old 01-31-2019, 09:17 AM

3,882 posts, read 2,372,869 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SAE72 View Post
There are some people that believe the theory that if you bring a car with ice, snow and salt into a garage, you may accelerate corrosion on the vehicle. When the vehicle warms up, and the ice melts in combination with the salt , it may corrode more than just keeping the car in the cold. If the garage has higher humidity, that may also acccelerate the process.
What measure of possible corrosion are we talking about exactly? The car is a bucket of rust after 20 years vs. it will look perfect with no corrosion if this theory is followed?

There is a safety and convenience factor to be considered. When getting in and out of the car from your garage, this is much safer from crime. Also, less chance of slipping in the snow walking to and from the garage than having it in the driveway.

Old 01-31-2019, 09:26 AM

377 posts, read 241,149 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rummage View Post
What measure of possible corrosion are we talking about exactly? The car is a bucket of rust after 20 years vs. it will look perfect with no corrosion if this theory is followed?

There is a safety and convenience factor to be considered. When getting in and out of the car from your garage, this is much safer from crime. Also, less chance of slipping in the snow walking to and from the garage than having it in the driveway.

It is basic science. It isn't just a potential problem with the under body, but with electrical connections that can corrode . For example. It is not unusual here in the Northeast to have a vehicle with a malfunction of an ABS or other sensor that has been corroded. Some of these sensors are part of the wheel hub, and the entire hub would need to be replaced. That's why it is very important to get the under body washed , and the wheel wheels sprayed by a high pressure nozzle.

The safety issues are a legitimate concern , however that depends upon location and the physical abilities of the driver. The issue of corrosion is an entirely different concern.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House