Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-12-2019, 06:17 AM

6,375 posts, read 4,209,663 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by odanny View Post
Cheaper to have the projects bid, doing jobs hourly often means your contractor can work slow, with a bid there are no surprises.
Yes and with the correct craftsman, a carpenter for the trim and an electrician for the ceiling fans. Most advertised as a “Handyman” might be able to do many things but often not as well as a skilled tradesperson that are all specialized today. Usually less money & better results!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-12-2019, 06:43 AM

13,395 posts, read 13,523,253 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JonahWicky View Post
Do you already have the PVC trim pieces cut to the exact length and coped at the corners? Will you do the caulking and fill the nail holes? Is the ceiling electrical box already properly installed to support a fan rather than a light fixture? Is it a tile backsplash that needs to be grouted after drying for a day? What's the substrate? Is there existing material that needs to be removed first? How big is the kitchen/bath? Is it a wide open perfectly square space, or are there cabinets, doorways, floor vents, wall jogs, etc. that need to be dealt with? Is there existing baseboard and/or shoe molding that needs to be removed and reinstalled? Door and doorjambs that need to be undercut?
Two weeks seems about right.
It's the type of molding where you buy the corner pieces precut. It can technically be glued to the wall. The backsplash is the type that comes in 12 x 12 interlocking tile pieces.

All of these are DIY level jobs with inexpensive (cheap) materials I'm buying from Home Depot.

I could do this myself (except the ceiling fans) myself in two weeks. I already have power drill, brad nailer, miter box, paint sprayer, etc. I can fill and sand the nail holes. Have the trim cut in the store. I could put down the chalk lines, etc.

The purpose of hiring someone is so they could knock this out in a couple of days vs me trying to do bits and pieces on the week.

Two weeks is BS. Maybe I should just have Home Depot quote some of the work.

Old 02-12-2019, 06:51 AM

752 posts, read 462,093 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by charlygal View Post
It's the type of molding where you buy the corner pieces precut. It can technically be glued to the wall. The backsplash is the type that comes in 12 x 12 interlocking tile pieces.

All of these are DIY level jobs with inexpensive (cheap) materials I'm buying from Home Depot.

I could do this myself (except the ceiling fans) myself in two weeks. I already have power drill, brad nailer, miter box, paint sprayer, etc. I can fill and sand the nail holes. Have the trim cut in the store. I could put down the chalk lines, etc.

The purpose of hiring someone is so they could knock this out in a couple of days vs me trying to do bits and pieces on the week.

Two weeks is BS. Maybe I should just have Home Depot quote some of the work.
Maybe it won't take 2 weeks but you are really, really downplaying the complexity of some of this work and all the potential complications that arise once you start getting into it. If it's so easy and you have all the tools and it won't even take two days, just do it yourself!

I'm guessing you are trying to be frugal but between the hourly rate and you giving the contractor no opportunity to weigh in on materials (which although may be cheap, may also be more difficult to work with or install), you are on the road to dysfunction and disappointment.

Old 02-12-2019, 07:23 AM

13,395 posts, read 13,523,253 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PHL10 View Post
Maybe it won't take 2 weeks but you are really, really downplaying the complexity of some of this work and all the potential complications that arise once you start getting into it. If it's so easy and you have all the tools and it won't even take two days, just do it yourself!

I'm guessing you are trying to be frugal but between the hourly rate and you giving the contractor no opportunity to weigh in on materials (which although may be cheap, may also be more difficult to work with or install), you are on the road to dysfunction and disappointment.
Who allows a random stranger to choose their backsplash, light fixtures, and chair rails.

I was trying to put some money into the pocket of a small business owner. That's okay. I'll have HD quote the work since I'm buying from them.

Old 02-12-2019, 07:23 AM

8,079 posts, read 10,094,029 times
Go with the hourly rate. A decent person who is capable of doing the work has no reason to sandbag you. So, you pay for a couple of extra hours? Big deal.

Where are you? $60/hour might be high. More in the $35 to $40/ hour for a handy man IMHO. They might be "good", but not outstanding in each of these sub tasks. Allow for that in the price. I hate "fixed price" deals. It leads potentially to cutting corners and shoddy workmanship.

Think in terms of one week for the work you wish to have done. Rough guestimate. House and rooms are easily accessible? Or up two flights of stairs?

Stay away from Angi's list and the other on line service...something "handyman". Go with word of mouth recommendations. Contact your local lumber yard or supply store (NOT HD or Lowes) for a few names. Get a reference.

Good luck. There is cheap and poor quality, or fair and better quality. The former can lead to the need for excessive drinking.

Last edited by Ted Bear; 02-12-2019 at 08:08 AM..

Old 02-12-2019, 08:22 AM

8,316 posts, read 3,939,733 times
I would always compare fixed price quotes. That way, if they make a mistake, you don't end up paying for it. Those that are efficient and don't many mistakes will usually have the competitive fixed price estimate. You MIGHT get lucky and get a job done cheaper with an hourly rate, but it's a risk.

Maybe if you have worked with a contractor for a while and really trust them, you could consider an hourly deal. But with someone you have never used before, there is no way I would do that.

Old 02-12-2019, 08:23 AM

6,601 posts, read 8,994,103 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Diana Holbrook View Post
That seems like far more than two days work.

Have someone bid the jobs.
Quote:
Really?

The PVC molding and trim is essentially just nailing pieces to the walls. The ceilings already have light fixtures. It's just swapping them out for ceiling fans. That's one day of work. On day 2, the backsplash and vinyl kitchen tile.
You've just illustrated the problem with hourly pay for this sort of thing. It's a lose-lose situation, since your expectations aren't in line with how long the job will likely actually take. The handyman will feel like he worked his tail off, only to be met by an upset customer because he's taking too long.

When you pay by the job, it still might take longer than expected, but at least the price doesn't go up. You'll be much less tempted to micromanage and you'll be less stressed about the financial side of it since you know what you're getting into up front.

Old 02-12-2019, 08:24 AM

24,634 posts, read 10,958,690 times
Quote:
Really?

The PVC molding and trim is essentially just nailing pieces to the walls. The ceilings already have light fixtures. It's just swapping them out for ceiling fans. That's one day of work. On day 2, the backsplash and vinyl kitchen tile.
And everything is prepped, cut, laid out? Your time is off and you will get "just nailed to the wall".

Old 02-12-2019, 08:26 AM

24,634 posts, read 10,958,690 times
Quote:
Who allows a random stranger to choose their backsplash, light fixtures, and chair rails.

I was trying to put some money into the pocket of a small business owner. That's okay. I'll have HD quote the work since I'm buying from them.
Please read the fine print. The contract for installation is between you and the installer NOT HD.

Old 02-12-2019, 08:40 AM

13,285 posts, read 8,472,584 times
Our area about three years ago got on the handyman fiasco. Starting at 99$ per hour. Their schtick- we are multi talented! . My uncle needed a door shimmied and re-installed. The guy did a great job! And after the invoice arrived my uncle learned how much this convenience cost him. 600$. He said that is some special door! Never mind about the handyman who came out to put in the storm windows...it's a simple out with the summer screens and pop in the winter screens. Again 600$. These are elders..and so often trust where they shouldn't. I finally stepped in ..and had the teens from our vo tech stop over . They are learning the trades so to get 50$ or 100$ to do a simple task was a win/win. I've no doubt some professions are worth the safety ...electrician ...plumber,hvac. But golly...this jack of all trades wants to be paid three wages in one!
I'll learn the skill or have some background on it before letting a handyman proceed. Then I ask them...so since you realize the Rockefeller don't live here...how much time and money will be involved. Then listen.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House