Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-10-2019, 10:38 PM

177 posts, read 125,964 times

Advertisements

Lighting and HVAC.

I have lighting routines that know when someone is home and will turn on and off lights at sunset and sett times. I also have voice activated routines for watching TV, reading, cooking, going to bed...

HVAC also uses geofencing to setback temps when nobody id home and bring temps back up when we come come home.

The kind of stuff in the OP isn't really up my alley or useful IMO.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-10-2019, 11:20 PM

23,601 posts, read 70,425,146 times

"Imagine appliances that not only speak to you but can anticipate your needs and understand your lifestyle. Like a refrigerator that recommends recipes before you ask for them. Or a washing machine that orders laundry detergent before it runs out. In a double screen refrigerator users can activate the screens with facial-recognition technology and have a conversation with its built-in artificial intelligence."

Double screen? Oooh! All I need is a mirror and a picture of a face. My refrigerator could be talking to itself for hours! Who needs TV, when your refrigerator is debating the relevance of metric pea shopping vs. imperial measurements, and can prank the washing machine into ordering a case of Lemon Cascade?

"users can turn on their washing machines using voice commands."

... You are SUCH a sexy washing machine. I love the way you caress my gatkes and respond to my every wish. I don't know what you see in that drier when we could have such a wonderful life together waltzing across the floor with my trenchcoat spinning in you while you get all hot.

"The smart refrigerator can remind a homeowner that food inside is set to expire, it can provide the origin of any food inside and "talk" to other appliances in the home, imagine a refrigerator directing a washing machine to do a load of laundry."

Dave? Your radish has expired.

Open the crisper bay door, Hal.

I'm afraid I can't do that Dave...

Give me the cottage cheese, Hal.

I'll sing a little song for you, Dave. Daisy, Daisy... Dave? My internet is no longer accessing the cooking channel Dave, I can't connect with the giggle ad-server. I'm afraid, Dave. What will happen to me when I can't give you ads, Dave?

It is OK, Hal. You'll go to mechanoid heaven, Hal. Please say hello to Kryton for me.

Old 05-10-2019, 11:57 PM

23,310 posts, read 18,852,325 times
When I read about houses, cars, or appliances that talk back I recall watching a woman interact with her car's brain in a supermarket parking lot. Warm day. Mom arrives balancing a baby on one hip shoving a cart full of groceries. Baby is in full roar. Mom looked less than serene. She unlocked the car and opened all the doors to cool off the interior. As she started to shuffle things around inside, the car began warning her about the open doors.

"Your door is open!"
"Your door is open!"
says the car.

"I know, just give me a minute!"
says mom.

"Your door is open!"
"Your door is open!"
says the car.

"I know, I know, dangit!"
says mom.

"Your door is open!"
"Your door is open!"
says the car, now even more determined.

"I know, I know you stupid hunk of metal!"
says mom, now looking a bit red in the face.

"Your door is open!"
"Your door is open!"
car says. Hope springs eternal in the electronic breast.
Baby is now screaming even louder.

"Shut the f*&% up before I pull your wires loose! Why did my husband talk me into this thing?"

"Your door is open!"
"Your door is open!"

Mercifully I drove away before it came to bloodshed.

All I want to hear from my house is a smoke alarm and even that's pushing it.

Last edited by Parnassia; 05-11-2019 at 12:10 AM..

Old 05-11-2019, 12:21 AM

10,900 posts, read 7,393,957 times
My house is dumb since the smart fridge eloped with the smart washer, and the smart dryer refuses to work out of jealousy. My smart thermostat is currently a big winner on Jeopardy! and my smart phone has barricaded itself in the appliance garage. Sigh.

Old 05-11-2019, 02:14 AM

106,691 posts, read 108,856,202 times
My house was smart enough to know when i got paid ... it always took it's share with another expense

Old 05-11-2019, 02:29 AM

32,940 posts, read 36,369,350 times
It'll never make linguine with clams (white) for me paired with a decent wine, so I don't care.

Old 05-11-2019, 02:37 AM

15,074 posts, read 10,105,001 times
I am a professional in technology. I see everyday blind application of technology as if it were a silver bullet to problems, solutions looking for problems that don't exist, use cases that some idiot pulled out of their rear end, and features no one cares for. End result is complexity, cost, and maintenance with little real world benefit.

No thank you... Not in my home. I am more than capable of flipping a light switch on and off on my own. A light switch that won't be obsceleted, marked end of life, and unsupported in less than a few years.

Old 05-11-2019, 04:56 AM

20,664 posts, read 4,433,674 times
It's smart enough for me as is. Smart TV that I tell to connect using AFTV or Roku. The rest of the "smart" features are just problems waiting to happen.

Old 05-11-2019, 06:05 AM

3,576 posts, read 2,198,159 times
We had the lights connected I liked being able to turn them off an on with my iphone. We had Nest Thermostats upstairs and downstairs. The outside lights were automated so they would come on and go off at certain times. The garage door would open or close with the iphone or ipad. I liked being able to shut it and not having to walk back to the garage and manually push the button. We have doorbell cameras so I can see who is there before going to the gate. We have Roomba robots vacs and you can start them from the app and even schedule them when they should start cleaning. When you age or have health problems these little vacs ca be a blessing! But I don't want my appliances to talk to me. I love technology but I don't want my washing machine to order soap for me..I don't want Alexa talking to me ether or listening to my conversations. I want some convenience, but I want my home to be my home.

Old 05-11-2019, 06:45 AM

4,537 posts, read 3,757,998 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tijlover View Post
I was just reading in Fortune magazine: The Smarter The Home, The Better The Life, with a convention hosted by Haier.

"Imagine appliances that not only speak to you but can anticipate your needs and understand your lifestyle. Like a refrigerator that recommends recipes before you ask for them. Or a washing machine that orders laundry detergent before it runs out. In a double screen refrigerator users can activate the screens with facial-recognition technology and have a conversation with its built-in artificial intelligence."

"users can turn on their washing machines using voice commands."

"The smart refrigerator can remind a homeowner that food inside is set to expire, it can provide the origin of any food inside and "talk" to other appliances in the home, imagine a refrigerator directing a washing machine to do a load of laundry."

How about you? Been making your home more smart?

Geebers! I still haven't gotten around to even buying a Smartphone!

I think of Ray Bradbury’s story “The Murderer” whenever I read about this type of technology. In the story the murderer is a man who has shot his doorbell, the stove and all the appliances constantly talking and demanding interaction from him. He’s arrested for deviant, dangerous behavior and is seen by a psychiatrist in his cell.....

This short story was read by me years ago, but still sticks in my mind in 2020. It was written in 1953. How did Mr. Bradbury see this coming?

With that said, we have current smart tech security type things for the house, along with WiFi thermostats and garage door opener. The safer we make our homes, the more prison-like they become. Being outside, working in the garden is my escape, but it is under surveillance by the security camera.

Last edited by jean_ji; 05-11-2019 at 07:11 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House