Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-24-2019, 12:52 PM

41,813 posts, read 51,059,937 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldjensens View Post
The dog is smart. does that count as a smart doorbell?

Depends. My dog has the "there is someone I know coming to the door" bark, the "there is someone I don't know coming to door" bark and lastly "there is a cat/deer/bear in front yard" bark. That qualifies as smartdog doorbell.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-24-2019, 01:28 PM

7,448 posts, read 7,590,182 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thecoalman View Post
Depends. My dog has the "there is someone I know coming to the door" bark, the "there is someone I don't know coming to door" bark and lastly "there is a cat/deer/bear in front yard" bark. That qualifies as smartdog doorbell.
My dog is the same way. Her barking alone will keep just about any criminal from trying to enter.

Old 05-30-2019, 12:12 PM

67,650 posts, read 60,944,294 times
OK, update.

We got all our Nest stuff installed and wow, I LOVE it. Everything is controllable from my home or my phone. The cameras work great! I didn't realize it at the time but get this - the outdoor cameras also have audio, so I messed with my dogs today when I was out (LOL).

Since we travel a lot, this all makes me feel good. I can lock and unlock doors, see who's at my door or outside my house or whatever, turn lights off or on, change my thermostat settings, etc. remotely and I like that.

Today the home security system is being installed - fire, smoke, glass break, carbon monoxide, etc. I'll also be able to control that either from the house or phone. Then we'll be set!

I'm a happy camper.

Old 05-30-2019, 01:04 PM

3,515 posts, read 7,784,031 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tijlover View Post
How about you? Been making your home more smart?

What you need to realize is that smart refrigerator is about as intelligent as a rock, it's just an interface that connects back to centralized servers over the internet and the server tells the refrigerator what to say. Everything about you is being reported to big brother, in short you surrendered your privately, willingly, and paid for the privilege. While your data is being mostly being manipulate your spending through advertising, to sell you products and services, it can be easily used for other purposes. Imagine a hacker that infiltrates your home network, it's the ultimate stalker and peeping tom, they could watch you every second of the day. Your upstairs taking a shower, perfect time to order the front door to unlock itself and sneak in.

Old 05-30-2019, 02:38 PM

41,813 posts, read 51,059,937 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
Then we'll be set!

This all depends on Nest technology?

Old 05-30-2019, 03:01 PM

30,585 posts, read 25,167,759 times
We live in a dumb house. I don’t want to smarten it up too much. This becomes just one more thing one of us has to manage.

We are thinking of getting a wireless security system, though.

Old 05-30-2019, 03:08 PM

2,454 posts, read 3,217,413 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TechGromit View Post
WImagine a hacker that infiltrates your home network, it's the ultimate stalker and peeping tom, they could watch you every second of the day. Your upstairs taking a shower, perfect time to order the front door to unlock itself and sneak in.
Great movie plot, but pretty far fetched. While it might be possible, it is far from probable. Few people have enough stuff worth taking that it would be worth the effort for a thief to do so.

Old 05-30-2019, 03:11 PM

43,124 posts, read 18,281,341 times
My house is pretty dumb and I like it that way.

Old 05-30-2019, 07:32 PM

1,846 posts, read 3,940,853 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TMSRetired View Post
My house is pretty dumb and I like it that way.
+1

My house is too, compared with the houses being described on this thread. But really, I don't travel so I have no need or desire to operate things remotely from other places. Also, I don't like creepy, fictional women with weird names like Alexa, Siri, or Cortana, poking around my house and invading my privacy.

I am perfectly capable of dealing with things the old fashioned way. Like, flipping a light switch when I want the light to go on, turning off the television myself at bedtime, looking through the peephole in my door when I want to know who's ringing the bell, and so on.

Old 05-30-2019, 07:40 PM

6,109 posts, read 10,899,749 times
At 92 years old it is beautiful but not smart.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House