Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-11-2019, 06:56 PM

18,949 posts, read 43,628,834 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by citizensadvocate View Post
The west coast of the US where most homes built later than 1990 are practically built on concrete slabs and have no basements and no usable attic space.
I meant carports with overhang that shelters from rain between cars and homes. In the southwest there isn’t too much rain but it does pour enough with wind enough that I prefer there is something to keep water off between the car and the home. You’d think people have SUVs long enough builders know to keep some space between cars. I mean even a Malibu seems a a little big for the garage. Not to mention no offense but people are getting bigger and need more room to open car doors and walk in between cars and whatever in the garage.
Here on the gulf coast it’s about an equal split between slabs and crawlspaces. Slabs are more common on flatter lots, while crawlspaces are used on sloped lots.

Carports are common here too, unless it’s one of those cookie cutter HOA subdivisions where all of the houses look the same, those usually have double garages.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-11-2019, 07:51 PM

14,229 posts, read 30,041,460 times
It took a friend of mine several months to find a place that had a big enough garage for a full size truck. This was in MN where there is so much bad weather a garage is a necessity. Unless you want to chip ice and dig your vehicle out all the time!

Old 07-12-2019, 06:10 AM

67,650 posts, read 60,959,349 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry Caldwell View Post
I thought I read that houses are getting a bit smaller.
https://www.census.gov/const/C25Ann/...medavgsqft.pdf
https://www.daveramsey.com/blog/housing-trends

This article does state though that the average new construction size has dropped very slightly, from around 2700 square feet to 2571 square feet in 2017.
New Home Size Continues to Fall | Eye On Housing

There's a slight difference between "average" and "median" - the median new construction house size in 2018 was 2386.
https://www.census.gov/construction/...ighlights.html

In 2017 it was 2426. So a difference of 40 feet.
https://www.census.gov/construction/...squarefeet.pdf

Old 07-12-2019, 08:04 AM

10,609 posts, read 5,653,143 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maglev101 View Post
Wow...nice! My house is just barely bigger than your 3 car garage I would be happy with a 2 car garage (currently, have tiny-ass 1 car garage)
I do spend a fair bit of time in the garage. As a hobby, in my primary home's garage I restore art - specifically automotive art. Mostly Jaguars from the mid 1950s and earlier. At my vacation house (a winter house in Deer Valley), once I come in from the ski slopes, my hobby is manufacturing custom skis.

Old 07-12-2019, 08:27 AM

15,252 posts, read 12,971,317 times
Our minimum when house-hunting was a four car garage. We found it.

It only has one car parked in it. . There was no way we would ever find a garage that would fit my 10 ft 6 in tall Sprinter.

Seriously considering having the roof "lifted" high enough we could park a Class A in there if we wanted.

Old 07-12-2019, 08:39 AM

256 posts, read 140,379 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maglev101 View Post
Wow...nice! (currently, have tiny-ass ..
Pictures are required when making posts of this nature

RE started it...

Old 07-12-2019, 09:39 AM

304 posts, read 782,881 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by B2dathird View Post
Pictures are required when making posts of this nature

RE started it...
Pic attached, as requested
Attached Thumbnails
Single family houses are getting bigger in square footage but why builders are still so stingy on garage parking space?-tiny-ass.jpg  

Old 07-12-2019, 10:04 AM

7,448 posts, read 7,592,028 times
Some builders are clueless. Others are cheap. And some actually get it. My builder's standard was there had to be enough room for him to park his work truck. And that was a crew cab ¾ ton with an eight foot bed. So I have plenty of room to park my pickup, even with a work bench in front of it. My doors are also eight feet high, vs the seven feet I see so often in the Lower 48.

Old 07-12-2019, 01:02 PM

3,348 posts, read 2,313,475 times
One would think by common sense a garage should at least be wide enough so the average larger sedan, SUV, or minivan can open its door most all the way to exit comfortably without hitting another car, the wall, or storage cabinets in a garage.
Usually, garages with separate doors for each car are best whether two car or three car, or four car garage

True builders are clueless, the biggest issue is builder's agents will normally not disclose anything about the HOA in the community including but not limited to any regulations on parking and required garage use to potential buyers or any other rule for that matter at least based on my experience unless asked directly. That's how causes HOA wars start as many buyers are caught by surprise.

Old 07-12-2019, 05:08 PM

24,125 posts, read 32,491,384 times
I was also under the impression that new construction was getting smaller.

Personally, I am so tired of seeing "Large Garage With Small Attached House". So ugly.

We rarely garage our cars. We park in the driveway and walk through the mudroom into the house. Given the choice, I'd prefer a nice, retro finished basement.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House