Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-10-2019, 10:02 PM

3,347 posts, read 2,311,269 times

Advertisements

I don't understand is why do you make so much wasted space when making the housing stock take up more real estate but not much of it is practical?

There is no denying that people are getting bigger over the years and so has the average production car, SUV, van, or truck. Thus it makes perfect sense for homebuyers' demand that larger homes to be built. But despite builders making houses bigger and bigger over the years the size of a home garage or space allowed for each car has hardly grown at all. Many people frown upon parking in their garages as its hard to open the door to get in and out without banging into another car, bike, wall, or items in the garage and the hassle having to back the car out to let guests in so they don't have to squeeze in. So unless a community's HOA is super strict on enforcing garage parking residents more often than not, avoid parking in their tight garages despite the much higher risk of a car break in which happens even in the nicest of neighborhoods.

The best garages I see have three separate doors guaranteeing a descent amount of door space between cars. and have a separate storage area for your bikes and other excess. But these are very rare even in 3000+ sqft homes. Even if the house does have a 3 car garage its not practical sometimes to even to park two cars inside due to the way the inside space and doors are configured.
I be curious why? It appears floorplans are getting larger but not more practical in modern homes.
And these are big single family homes, don't even get me started on how tight the parking provisions are in most multi family communities such as apartments, townhomes, and Condos.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-11-2019, 05:45 AM

6,362 posts, read 4,187,402 times
The thinking is that “most “ people want more useable living space and appeal within the house. They also bank on the majority of homeowners who tend to leave their vehicles in the driveway, more often than not, since it’s more convenient that pulling it into the garage on a daily basis.

Not saying I agree with this thinking at all but it’s all about marketing and buying that eventually change to provide the best marketable product.

Old 07-11-2019, 06:51 AM

67,650 posts, read 60,925,505 times
I just want to point out that here in NE Texas 3 car garages are common, especially in new construction homes.

Old 07-11-2019, 08:38 AM

7,246 posts, read 7,076,730 times
Our new home has a tandem 3 car garage - best thing ever.

But I agree - the garage at our townhouse was so tight we hated it. Decent garage size was actually a factor in buying this home.

Added to that, attics seem to be a thing of the past, too. Our house in KY had *huge* attic space. This house has none.

Old 07-11-2019, 08:52 AM

24,569 posts, read 10,869,900 times
First - learn how to drive and park
I pull in and let SO deal with the arrangements.

3 car does not mean much. How deep and how wide? We can easily get three trucks in plus a full work shop and it has a/c plus heat. Bikes would fit but we are without them right now. Trail to tornado shelter and shelter access are always clear.

In TX/OK you only leave your vehicles out if you have very good hail coverage or forgot how high your truck sits in comparison to garage door height. Most builders will accommodate you.

It is not the builder but the buyer who requests items.

Old 07-11-2019, 09:09 AM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,585 posts, read 81,186,228 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
I just want to point out that here in NE Texas 3 car garages are common, especially in new construction homes.
Same here. All the new homes are in the 4,000 sf range with 3 car garages, but the width of those garages is still the standard 16' width, and sometimes with a post between the two doors.

Old 07-11-2019, 09:23 AM

9,868 posts, read 7,702,413 times
It’s how the developer makes the most money.

Fancy finishes, cabinets, flooring, trim, windows, etc. really crank up buyer outlay, whereas garage fittings are fairly basic and often DIY. Developers know which areas generate more income. It’s not garages.

This is the number one reason why we bought land and had our place custom built. There is way too much “house” space/accouterments, with far too little importance placed on garages. It’s a remnant from the old days of big families with one car, and one breadwinner. Even though most women now have jobs other than raising babies, it’s not the women who usually prefer more garage over house space.

Old 07-11-2019, 10:07 AM

3,347 posts, read 2,311,269 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rickcin View Post
The thinking is that “most “ people want more useable living space and appeal within the house. They also bank on the majority of homeowners who tend to leave their vehicles in the driveway, more often than not, since it’s more convenient that pulling it into the garage on a daily basis.

Not saying I agree with this thinking at all but it’s all about marketing and buying that eventually change to provide the best marketable product.
True, though the developers also seem to make their driveways narrower as well than in the past. Ideally There really should be spaces for guests or others who doesn’t block the others access to the garage. Also increasing number of neighborhoods driveways are not an option, either it’s prohibited by community rules or there is no space at all. Thus everyone need to squeeze into the garage. The other issue lack of extra storage space people’s toys junk, unused items, etc are getting bigger as well. But there are hardly any extra storage in the increased square footage.

I really don’t understand the tandem parking garage fad in single family neighborhoods with huge homes and lots. Shoundnt Tandem parking is for tight urban areas only where space is at absolute premium.

Old 07-11-2019, 10:18 AM

341 posts, read 285,189 times
Builders spend millions on consumer research and analyzing buying decisions. In order to make the most profit, they do what is necessary to supply the most demand.

Old 07-11-2019, 10:43 AM

2,867 posts, read 3,557,786 times
Garages and unfinished attics are non HVAC space, therefore typically not included in the marketing of the home for sale, therefore typically not a part of the price per square feet calculation to determine value/profit. And for some reason the market majority doesn’t care or isn’t paying attention to the garage when buying. Only to realize later on.

My last house was a spec built home from a national developer. Advertised two car garage, assuming you owned two mini coopers. One of the reasons we sold it 3 years later and bought a 2000 era home with a true 3-car garage big enough for 3 family sized cars and all the junk that comes with a family. But what’s funny, the realtor wasn’t advertising this fact on the house when we looked at it, and was pleasantly surprised when I saw it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House