Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-09-2019, 04:32 AM

3,576 posts, read 2,197,375 times

Advertisements

I am trying to figure out what would be a good refrigerator to buy. I read about LG compressor failures, Samsung ice maker problems. Now kitchen-aid is using linear compressors which is what LG uses. I want to buy a counter depth refrigerator that is going to last more than a year or two. I had Jenn-Air appliances and they were awesome , no repairs.

I was going to buy all Kitchen-aid but now worried about linear compressor. What do you suggest? I have looked at Bosch, Kitchen-aid, Whirlpool, LG , samsung, just not sure.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-09-2019, 08:29 AM

4,725 posts, read 4,420,706 times
I will be paying close attention to this thread---I want what you want! (and not super crazy $$).

Old 10-09-2019, 08:56 AM

17,475 posts, read 66,054,754 times
The technology isn't new- first patents were issued in the first part of the 20th century. But as far as refrigerant compressors in fridges- that came about just 18yrs ago. So it's relatively new.

The premise is less moving parts, less energy... time will tell.

Old 10-09-2019, 09:46 AM

8,151 posts, read 8,350,911 times
I am happy with my Kitchenaide. Have a 15 year old KA at our Dallas residence still doing great and bought a counter depth KA for our new house in Las Vegas 2 years ago. Doing great.

I own rental properties and have had bad experiences with Samsung and LG. Good experiences with General Electric.

Old 10-09-2019, 12:16 PM

17,475 posts, read 66,054,754 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WorldKlas View Post
I am happy with my Kitchenaid.
You mean "Whirlpool". And no "e" I fixed that for ya!

Old 10-09-2019, 12:30 PM

3,805 posts, read 6,356,641 times
Why would you require a refrigerator to last only one or two years? My last one lasted 17 years.

Don't know anything about compressor issues, but having made some mistakes with my last purchase, I have two pieces of advice. Get a bottom freezer model and DON"T get French doors unless they are compatible with the layout of your kitchen. If there is little to no nearby counter space, it can be difficult to remove what you need and then have a place to set it down.

Old 10-09-2019, 12:32 PM

3,647 posts, read 1,601,831 times
I needed a new fridge about 5 months ago so I did research. A large appliance store/service company in Boston sorted their service calls to find which brand had the most/least service calls:

https://blog.yaleappliance.com/bid/8...pliance-brands

Which had the least/most service calls?:

1. Whirlpool 6940 Sold | 312 Serviced - 4.5% LEAST
  2. LG 3,085 Sold | 168 Serviced - 5.45%
  3. Samsung 6,352 Sold | 541 Serviced - 8.52%
  4. Gaggenau 251 Sold| 27 Serviced - 10.76%
  5. Bosch 6,751 Sold | 754 Serviced - 11.17%
  6. Maytag 3,363 Sold | 407 Serviced - 12.10%
  7. Miele 2,235 Sold | 298 Serviced - 13.33%
  8. Wolf 2173 Sold | 399 Serviced - 18.36%
  9. Fisher Paykel 568 Sold | 112 Serviced - 19.72% MOST
Even though LG is #2 I would avoid it. Too many horror repair stories. Also, get the most simple fridge style possible. No double door. No freezer on bottom. The fancier it is, the more service calls.

I got a basic Whirlpool without ice maker. Very happy with it so far.

Old 10-09-2019, 01:58 PM

3,754 posts, read 4,240,557 times
We've had Whirlpool, KitchenAid, and Samsung.

Whirlpool/KitchenAid use the same parts interchangeably a lot, so any problems with one model are probably present with a similar model. We had Whirlpool Gold stuff and it was ok, not many bells and whistles compared to what you get with Samsung or LG. KitchenAid is overpriced for what you get in a fridge IMO, and this is coming from someone who has all other appliances KitchenAid.

Samsung, we figured out how to get a good Samsung... avoid their French door models. Those models all have the ice maker in the fridge section, and it's always a problem, as well as the defroster and drain freezing over a lot. But we've had 2 Samsung side by side models and they were flawless, with the icemaker in the freezer door. We will probably go back to a side by side style. Even though the french door style is the popular way to go, for daily use, I actually prefer a side by side, and since we never had any problems with our Samsung side by sides, that's what we'll be looking for.

Old 10-09-2019, 03:05 PM

4,725 posts, read 4,420,706 times
First of all the bottom freezer is not a fancy thing. I remember way back ( I am old lol) in the 80's looking for refrigerators and using the bible at that time- Consumer Reports. They said the uncommon (then) freezer on the bottom was actually way more efficient than the usual top freezer. It was so unusual then I don't think I saw any like that and got the more common top freezer back then but it made an impression on me.
The last 2 units we had (the Kenmore by LG) were French Door and I really liked that. We REALLY liked the internal water which took up no space but was not through the door. That seems less and less common. I do think I want a counter depth so I know that is a trade off with space.
There is another retailer that also lists the repairs per units sold and that one had very poor data for Whirlpool which broke my heart. I like the one you just shared!

Old 10-09-2019, 03:21 PM

13,448 posts, read 15,481,027 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katana49 View Post
We've had Whirlpool, KitchenAid, and Samsung.

Whirlpool/KitchenAid use the same parts interchangeably a lot, so any problems with one model are probably present with a similar model. We had Whirlpool Gold stuff and it was ok, not many bells and whistles compared to what you get with Samsung or LG. KitchenAid is overpriced for what you get in a fridge IMO, and this is coming from someone who has all other appliances KitchenAid.

Samsung, we figured out how to get a good Samsung... avoid their French door models. Those models all have the ice maker in the fridge section, and it's always a problem, as well as the defroster and drain freezing over a lot. But we've had 2 Samsung side by side models and they were flawless, with the icemaker in the freezer door. We will probably go back to a side by side style. Even though the french door style is the popular way to go, for daily use, I actually prefer a side by side, and since we never had any problems with our Samsung side by sides, that's what we'll be looking for.
Wish I read this. We replaced the twenty year old Kenmore with a nice, stylish black stainless french door Samsung fridge. It arrived dented. Hope this isn't a prelude to come, as I'm already irritated about the microwave sensor problem.

We had a Whirlpool, a plain old side by side black fridge, had ZERO service calls in the 10 years we owned it. Same with the range. We sold a home with ten year old appliances that are probably still being used with little service calls.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House