Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-17-2020, 10:54 PM

10,864 posts, read 6,464,793 times

Advertisements

I have insurance on my gas water heater with my gas company,it is insured by Homeserve,I paid $9.99 a month, max $1100 include installation of new and removal of old
.after 22 months,I found water in my pan/tray.
It is 17 years old so I called the company and the man came and said yes,we will replace it.
Today two local plumbers came,one of them walked in and wave some flexible pipe in my face saying these are better than old ones,I suggest you use them for your hot and cold water going into the heater.
I said fine,then he said you will get a phone call from Homeserve soon/
So they put the pipes in and drain water from old pipe ,remove the old heater.
Homeserve called and told me according to policy line 3,these pipes are my responsibility and it would cost me $199.
Then I SAID if the plumber told me in advance,I would refuse these pipes(each is like 14 inches long),so after much bickering back and forth,I told the lady I would remove them,she seems upset .
The plumber then removed them,I did not check he attic,may be he has yet to put them on?
After full installation, i asked where is a copy of the heater,he said he taped it to the heater in the attic so the next repairman can read it??
So I asked him to go and give it to me so I can read it.
Then he stood there and chatted with me,I am not sure if he is looking for tips(the other was outside the house),but I figure plumbers make good money,no need to tip them,after that $199 trick he pulled on me.
Is this some kind of trick to breakeven or make some extra,the Homeserve lady was quite upset that I refused to pay $199.
And what is this leaving the manual in the attic by the water heater so next repairman can read it??
Quick reply to this message

Old 06-17-2020, 11:05 PM

11,157 posts, read 7,952,361 times
When I had my WH replaced they taped the instructions to the water heater. Maybe they figure that a novice wouldn’t need to read them since they’d probably call for a plumber again should there be an issue? Good for you for not falling for the up sell.

Old 06-17-2020, 11:09 PM

61,647 posts, read 87,001,838 times
If a repairman needs to read a manual before fixing the problem, I would call someone who already know how to do the job.

All that sounds a bit fishy to me...

Old 06-18-2020, 02:24 AM

1,948 posts, read 1,513,658 times
Hot water insurance? Never considered it. They're just $300-$400 items most often plus installation. And the installation is not that time consuming.

My last hot water heater failure was normal--on July 4th when the house was full of people. These things never fail when it's convenient. Fortunately, a plumber was in the house. A quick run to Lowes and we were up and running within 2 hrs.

It might help if people would cut off the electricity and let their heater cool down some. Then hook a water hose up to the bottom drain and flush out the sediment from the bottom. It's just part of yearly household normal maintenance.

Old 06-18-2020, 03:41 AM

6,356 posts, read 4,173,212 times
I would Never pay monthly for any type of utility warranty/repair or complete home warranty insurance.

You are locked into the repair company that they choose and are usually companies that can’t find work on their own merit. Also, the fine print and stipulations on those policies will end up costing you more money than you would pay when finding and calling the contractor of your choice and being able to decide on the materials and device that you would like installed. I’ve heard nothing but horror stories with those home warranty plans.

Old 06-18-2020, 04:08 AM

130,047 posts, read 12,072,794 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rickcin View Post
I would Never pay monthly for any type of utility warranty/repair or complete home warranty insurance.

You are locked into the repair company that they choose and are usually companies that can’t find work on their own merit. Also, the fine print and stipulations on those policies will end up costing you more money than you would pay when finding and calling the contractor of your choice and being able to decide on the materials and device that you would like installed. I’ve heard nothing but horror stories with those home warranty plans.
I agree, we made the mistake of having one, for a while, & it was a waste of money, & they sent out useless repair people. Never again ( for us, but I am glad OP is happy with the new water heater.

Old 06-18-2020, 05:33 AM

14,394 posts, read 11,232,217 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rickcin View Post

I saw this first hand when in a short term rental house a couple of years ago. An 8 year old AC failed in the heat of summer and the homeowner had a home warranty contract. After 3 calls that didn’t fix it (not including a no show) I was so frustrated that finally she just replaced the unit using someone competent that she knew.

Old 06-18-2020, 07:33 AM

10,385 posts, read 10,650,173 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bamaman1 View Post
Hot water insurance? Never considered it. They're just $300-$400 items most often plus installation. And the installation is not that time consuming.

My last hot water heater failure was normal--on July 4th when the house was full of people. These things never fail when it's convenient. Fortunately, a plumber was in the house. A quick run to Lowes and we were up and running within 2 hrs.

It might help if people would cut off the electricity and let their heater cool down some. Then hook a water hose up to the bottom drain and flush out the sediment from the bottom. It's just part of yearly household normal maintenance.
I had to replace my water heater a few months ago. I think it was over $1100. That did not include installation. The installation took about 6 hours because the water heaters were a different height and the fittings had to be changed. The reason my water heater was so expensive is because it has a power vent. That alone adds about $300 to the purchase price.

Old 06-18-2020, 04:56 PM

10,864 posts, read 6,464,793 times
thanks for all the replies.
The water heater is the original one which comes from the builder and is 17 years old.
I have neglected flushing the heater in recent years,but 17 years is a long time,most do not last that long.
My gas company -Center PoINT Energy recommended that we signed up with Homeserve for water heater,sewage pipe,water pipe ,so I thought if you dont trust your gas company,who do you trust.
The plumbers came from a local plumber hired by Homeserve to install the new gas Water heater(Rheem),
Replacing the heater ,coverage is $1100,which is about right,if you have to remove the old one,flush the water out,and install a new one,it takes a few hours and it takes 2 of them to carry these heaters,I asked around and there is nothing cheaper,it is not just the heater ,it is labor,parts and disposing the old one.
After they left,I check the prices of these flex pipes,and the cost is around $14 each,so they are trying to scam me for $199.
But what bothers me is Homeserve,the lady is upset that I turned down the flex pipes,she was going to slap $199 to my Center Point Energy gas bill ,makes you wonder if Homeserve has teamed with local plumber to scam us?
I am thinking of reporting this incident to Center Point Energy,as HOMESERVE is not so ethical,they are probably doing this to everyone who needs a water heater,sewage pipe,water pipe repair.
Should I report Homeserve ?

Old 06-19-2020, 01:32 AM

2,310 posts, read 6,822,200 times
yes... I'd report. Glad you refused to pay for 2 little pipes. What a scam. Sounds like you never needed new pipes to begin with. Mine is 15 yrs old so I guess it's on its last legs. I don't flush it bc I'm afraid if I start after all these years, that will cause more harm than good.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House