Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-03-2020, 07:30 PM

508 posts, read 527,617 times

Advertisements

Home appliance Repair ?
===============================

Thanks for weighing in.

I have a Chocolate Grinder . It's Motor Fan came off. This part look like a Plastic saucer attached to Motor's bottom shaft.

I tried with super glue to attach, but it did not hold.

I need your idea, to attach this piece to motor shaft.

Are there any connector (like we use to connect two end of tv cables) to one end to Motor Shaft and other end to have bolt kind of to attach the detached Motor FAN.

Where can I find these kind of connectors ?

Thanks for sharing.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-03-2020, 07:48 PM

3,346 posts, read 2,201,134 times
Without seeing it, it's hard to say. But I'd clean up the mess from the superglue and then use a good epoxy to reattach the fan. Make sure it's positioned exactly right and use the epoxy to build up some support where it won't interfere with anything else, then let it cure for 24 hours.

Probably no mechanical fix that will work.

Old 09-03-2020, 08:10 PM

Thanks for weighing in.

I appreciate your suggestions/question.

I am attaching the piece. Behind the plastic is motor Shaft. Fan Piece is Flat. It did not have and supporting extension to go to motor shaft.

Are there any videos/instructions to show how to use the epoxy to build up some support?

Thanks for your guidance.
Attached Thumbnails
Home appliance Repair ?-premier_bottom.jpg  

Old 09-03-2020, 08:43 PM

5,114 posts, read 6,095,402 times
unless it is balanced perfectly centrificl force will pull it off or destroy the motor. Use the model number or other information on it and google to see if there is a parts breakdown available and see if a new motor&Fan assembly is available. Or contact the manufacturer. But if it is like most small appliances today it probably isn't meant to be repaired

Old 09-03-2020, 09:52 PM

23,601 posts, read 70,425,146 times
You didn't mention WHY it came off. I can think of two basic scenarios:

1. The plastic fractured, perhaps due to sudden shock or stress, or age.

2. The heat of the motor released the fan by melting the plastic.

So... your question is less how to put it back on, and more how to keep it on. You also have an unasked question about the heat the motor generates and if that heat will eventually destroy the motor or grinder.

Motor shafts are fairly standard diameter. Can you think of another appliance that has a similar motor and a fan that is made of metal you can use as replacement?

From your pic, it appears to me that the "fan" is also being used as a mass load when the motor encounters a resistance that requires it to break apart a bean or whatever (read flywheel). If so, that is poor engineering to ask plastic to fulfill that role. Add a metal flywheel, add a fan, or toss the thing.

Old 09-03-2020, 10:36 PM

10,309 posts, read 6,847,363 times
Grainger has connectors...

Old 09-04-2020, 05:34 PM

2,336 posts, read 2,569,779 times
You could use a 3D printer to make a new piece, but for the hundreds of dollars it would cost you could just buy a new grinder. Unless you're in it for the challenge of trying to make it work again, throw it out and get a new one.

Old 09-04-2020, 06:25 PM

15,293 posts, read 17,687,736 times
Drill and tap the motor shaft for a small bolt, then attach the fan with an anti-turn hillman washer embedded in epoxy. A little locktite on the threads might be a good idea.

https://www.hillmangroup.com/us/en/F...shers/p/513AT1

Old 09-04-2020, 07:33 PM

3,070 posts, read 2,402,586 times
How long have you had this machine? Did the part wear out, or was it dropped or something? If it wore out, the machine is probably near the end of the design life, and other parts are going to start breaking down, too. But if you think it has a lot of useful life left, I agree with MillValleyDad: see if you can order a new part. As others mentioned, the part has to be balanced, and gluing it back together exactly right is going to be very tricky.

Old 09-05-2020, 01:00 PM

Thanks for weighing in.

I did not see any motor heating issues and there is no melting sign in the detached plastic fan. It looks like a plastic stem from plastic fan fused into motor shaft (smart/poor engineering) and it gave up. I do not know why .

This unit is not aged all components are working. We use this unit sparingly.

I am adding additional photos to review. I did find the following related to motor shaft.

11mm socket is not going in, but 12mm socket is going in

7/16 in socket is not going in, but 15/32 in socket is going in

Does this mean the shaft diameter is 12mm (15/32 in)?

The shaft is not full cylinerical kind and it has a flat depression in one side.

Are we able to pick a Motor arbor (Adapter) to attach to motor shaft and on the other end to attach the (detached( plastic fan?

Will this hold and work ?

Thanks for your guidance.
Attached Thumbnails
Home appliance Repair ?-fanbottom.jpg   Home appliance Repair ?-fantop.jpg   Home appliance Repair ?-motorshaft1.jpg   Home appliance Repair ?-motorshast2.jpg  
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House