Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-05-2021, 10:06 AM

37,611 posts, read 45,988,534 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by gx89 View Post
Quartzitie, is hands down the best stone! It has the beauty of marble and is harder that granite. I have used White Rhino and Taj Mahal quartzite in 2 houses! Once you use Quartzite, quartz isn't even an option.

You can't even look at pictures of it, no camera can capture the true depth of the stone. I always explain it like looking into a glacier and seeing the cracks inside the stone.
Well, lets not forget the issue of edge bleed and staining. There have been a TON of problems in that area. If you wind up with a fabricator that does not know about this issue and is not trained to deal with it, then you may wind up sorely disappointed. (Just google "quartzite edge bleed" and you will see what I mean).

Also, the fact that many slab yards do not correctly label their slabs and many folks wind up with a stone that is mostly marble and then they have those maintenance issues (which is fine if that is what you were wanting but if you want quartzite you are not looking for something that etches). I wanted no cream or ivory or brown tones at ALL in my counters, so quartzite was out for me. Taj Majal is a great choice, but it would not work for me due to the color. And White Rhino IS a marble - not a quartzite. If you had no maintenance issues then you were lucky.

https://pacificastone.com/product/wh...%20countertops.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-06-2021, 05:53 AM

1,879 posts, read 1,070,760 times
I have leathered steel gray granite. It has a more rustic appearance than polished granite so if you're looking for a formal look, I wouldn't get this. It has a casual or rustic look. The positive is that the steel gray granite is fairly monotone and doesn't have the polka dot appearance that a lot of the other colored granites have. I have no issues with it. I don't set hot pots directly on it though, I use trivets.

Old 02-08-2021, 06:41 PM

13,448 posts, read 15,478,210 times
I have black pearl and absolute black granite and love it. Little to no veining, sleek and nice. Not a fan of quartz.

Old 02-09-2021, 08:24 AM

4,725 posts, read 4,419,194 times
If you are into trends, it does seem that the plainer quartz counters are more in favor lately.
In our last home, I replaced the formica which had served us well for about 10 years or so, with a dark busy granite. It was a dream to live with and was bulletproof.
In our new to us home, I just replaced similar formica with a quartzite. I much prefer the randomness and natural beauty of stone. Quartzite is super durable and supposed to be harder than granite.
It's stunning. If I could figure out how to post a photo of it (of my own) I would.

Old 02-09-2021, 08:29 AM

4,725 posts, read 4,419,194 times
I tried and it says it is too large. I need to resize. Oh well.

Old 02-09-2021, 05:38 PM

9,127 posts, read 6,180,105 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gypsychic View Post
I really love Silestone. We remodeled our kitchen our last house and got a deal on sale with a Silestone that kind of matched our terrazzo floors. No stains ever, easy to wipe clean and before I knew better, even set hot pots on it with no issues at all! We are getting ready to remodel the old kitchen in our current home and I will be getting Silestone without a doubt!!! Worth every dime, IMO.
Watch out for those hot pots!

"As with any natural stone, certain exposure to heat may cause cracks due to thermal shock. Although Silestone is extremely scratch and heat resistant, we recommend protecting your Silestone surface by using a hot pad or trivet for extreme heat protection. Hot pans, pots or small electrical appliances should not be used directly on top of your Silestone surface as this can cause scorching, dull areas and cracks. Do not use crock pots, electric skillets or griddles directly on your Silestone surface. Additionally it is recommended that a cutting board be used to protect the stone & surface from scratch."

https://content.cosentino.com/silest...extreme%20heat.

Old 02-09-2021, 06:59 PM

37,611 posts, read 45,988,534 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lillie767 View Post
Watch out for those hot pots!

"As with any natural stone, certain exposure to heat may cause cracks due to thermal shock. Although Silestone is extremely scratch and heat resistant, we recommend protecting your Silestone surface by using a hot pad or trivet for extreme heat protection. Hot pans, pots or small electrical appliances should not be used directly on top of your Silestone surface as this can cause scorching, dull areas and cracks. Do not use crock pots, electric skillets or griddles directly on your Silestone surface. Additionally it is recommended that a cutting board be used to protect the stone & surface from scratch."

https://content.cosentino.com/silest...extreme%20heat.
Crockpots are not an issue. I have had quartz counters for 3 years now and always use my crockpot directly on the counter. If you have one that has a bottom that gets super hot, then you probably need to get a new one!! There are no kitchen appliances that I have that require a heat pad under them. Silestone is using that as a CYA, so I get it, but the reality is, appliances just don't get that hot on the bottom. Or at least, properly working ones!!

Old 02-15-2021, 10:20 AM

4,021 posts, read 1,798,312 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lauradrops View Post
I also don't like the dated blotchiness of granite, loved marble and quartzite but not the staining and upkeep. Went with Silestone Pietra this time and love it.
Not all granite is 'blotchy' nowadays, there are plenty of high-end options. Being a custom builder, I would rarely see quartz chosen as a counter surface. I think because as a man-made material, it is considered less 'cool' than the natural surfaces. Quartzite is a natural option of course. I think quartz is a passing fad myself, although having said that, we did use quartz in one of our own properties.....the missus wanted something super clean looking. So white quartz it was. Looks nice but the lack of grain makes me lose interest.....

Old 02-15-2021, 11:58 AM

17,475 posts, read 66,045,317 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woody01 View Post
Not all granite is 'blotchy' nowadays, there are plenty of high-end options. Being a custom builder, I would rarely see quartz chosen as a counter surface. I think because as a man-made material, it is considered less 'cool' than the natural surfaces.

If this is in Cali- that doesn’t surprise me!
Over the years I’ve noticed here on C-D and trade publications there is a definitive selection bias throughout different parts of the country. Which tells me one thing- it’s an influenced choice that comes from marketing services and the almighty dollar. It should really be- availability, cost, and a good interior designer or decorator that knows how to listen to its client.

Old 02-15-2021, 12:15 PM

3,287 posts, read 2,022,441 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by K'ledgeBldr View Post
If this is in Cali- that doesn’t surprise me!
Over the years I’ve noticed here on C-D and trade publications there is a definitive selection bias throughout different parts of the country. Which tells me one thing- it’s an influenced choice that comes from marketing services and the almighty dollar. It should really be- availability, cost, and a good interior designer or decorator that knows how to listen to its client.
What does "Cali" have to do with it?!

Yeah, I live in California.

We have a zillion places within 10 miles where I can buy every possible stone slab god or man ever created. Every price level. My choices aren't limited to a half-dozen monochrome quartz slabs or a half-dozen vomit-blotch granites from Home Creepo.

I've seen a huge variety in kitchens as a result. More than anywhere else I've lived/visited. This includes other choices like stainless, concrete, zinc, tile, etc.

If that's meant to be a silly dig about CA, I think you got it wrong.

Last edited by KemBro71; 02-15-2021 at 01:06 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House