Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-12-2021, 10:24 AM

29 posts, read 33,677 times

Advertisements

I am trying to find the name of this water valve brand (attached), looks like an American Valve but not sure.
Attached Thumbnails
Do you recognize this water valve brand?-unnamed2.jpg  
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-12-2021, 12:51 PM

17,710 posts, read 29,829,274 times
Why do you need the name?

Old 02-12-2021, 02:24 PM

17,475 posts, read 66,064,806 times
If it’s not American, it’s probably Mueller.

Clearly it’s been messed with, so I’ll assume that you’re having a problem with it and you want to replace(?) Just get the right size that’s available at your local “big box” or hardware store- whatever the brand is- they ain’t what they used to be!

Old 02-12-2021, 02:42 PM

2,373 posts, read 1,914,949 times
If you're looking to replace and keep it period correct you might see what the historic groups or antique groups in your area come up with.

There are some good hardware stores that know about this kind of thing, particularly if you find yourself in an historic area.

Old 02-12-2021, 05:27 PM

2,336 posts, read 2,569,779 times
A new one is less than $10. I wouldn't waste any time trying to identify or fix it.

Old 02-27-2021, 11:46 PM

29 posts, read 33,677 times
I agree that a new one is cheap but the thing is that the old one is painted (i hate when people paint their valves in the house making them useless at best...) which means it wont come out easily. So, I can cut behind the compression nut but i may not have much space for a new one which means i have to open the wall and tinker with soldering. No big deal, i have done it before but is a lot of work. I was just thinking to buy two new ones, remove the stem with the gasket and pop it inside the old ones..but i need the same brand/model

Old 02-28-2021, 11:37 AM

2,336 posts, read 2,569,779 times
The paint won't have worked it's way down into the threads. Give it a squirt of some penetrating oil like PB Blaster or WD-40 and it will come right off. Hold the compression nut and turn the faucet.

Old 02-28-2021, 02:18 PM

599 posts, read 276,800 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by andreadebiase View Post
I agree that a new one is cheap but the thing is that the old one is painted (i hate when people paint their valves in the house making them useless at best...) which means it wont come out easily. So, I can cut behind the compression nut but i may not have much space for a new one which means i have to open the wall and tinker with soldering. No big deal, i have done it before but is a lot of work. I was just thinking to buy two new ones, remove the stem with the gasket and pop it inside the old ones..but i need the same brand/model
You should have a shut off valve in the house (basement?), try getting the old one off and replace it with this: https://www.plumbersstock.com/vbbbw5...&sc_intid=3017
Even if you don't want to go with this one, it's just copper pipe stubbed out. Look for 5/8" compression fittings. Many options available to modify from what you have.

Old 02-28-2021, 08:21 PM

6,980 posts, read 5,423,158 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Inspector1489 View Post
You should have a shut off valve in the house (basement?), try getting the old one off and replace it with this: https://www.plumbersstock.com/vbbbw5...&sc_intid=3017
Even if you don't want to go with this one, it's just copper pipe stubbed out. Look for 5/8" compression fittings. Many options available to modify from what you have.
If you really want to keep it just rebuild it with a new valve seat, packing washer and a new valve stem washer.. all you need is s seat wrench or a valve seat cutter/grinder a crescent wrench and a screw driver and the new washers and seat.

Old 03-02-2021, 06:57 PM

30,708 posts, read 79,820,680 times
Just get a shark bite faucet. No soldering necessary. Cut your pipe, push the new facuet on. Done.

Here is an example, but i woudl find a better one with quarter turn valve and a metal handle.

https://www.lowes.com/pd/SharkBite-L...B&gclsrc=aw.ds

I have used these compression fitting (Shark Bite and other brands) all over and some have been in place for ten years plus. They work great and are east to install and replace. Just be sure to remove all the burrs after cutting.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House