Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-13-2021, 02:28 PM

1,530 posts, read 2,415,635 times

Advertisements

I have half cans of paint that could be 5 to 7 years old. All in tightly sealed cans stored in my basement. Do you think I could apply or is it too late?
Quick reply to this message

Old 02-13-2021, 02:36 PM

20,726 posts, read 16,352,228 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by caco54 View Post
I have half cans of paint that could be 5 to 7 years old. All in tightly sealed cans stored in my basement. Do you think I could apply or is it too late?
Definitely open it up and look at it. I had original paint from when I built my house 20 years ago - an opened can. I gave it to my handyman who was fixing a bit of water damage. He opened it up and it had rust on top and was the consistency of pudding. But he filtered it through some kind of strainer and though it was thick, it was great for that small job! He did probably lose half the volume by straining it and from having to apply it a little thick.

Not sure what you need to use yours for but it's worth checking out.

Old 02-13-2021, 03:19 PM

6,356 posts, read 4,173,212 times
I agree with the above post and I’ve seen stored paint used after 10 years or so to touch up walls and it worked well. As mentioned, mix it well and run it through a filter if need be.

Old 02-13-2021, 09:27 PM

17,472 posts, read 66,002,677 times
Most opened cans of paint (as opposed to new never opened cans) are good for about 2yrs. Anything over that- even if it “looks OK”- has usually gone through some changes that effect its performance.

But, I have seen paint that was at least 10yo- sealed with plastic wrap/tape, turned upside down, stored in dark cool place, that was as good as the day it was manufactured.

There’s also a difference between latex and oil-based paints when it comes to “shelf life”- which you didn’t specify.

Old 02-14-2021, 07:53 AM

4,830 posts, read 3,259,357 times
I noticed that Behr has gone to plastic lids (at Home Depot, anyway). Also noticed that some of my Behr with the old metal lids from a couple years ago have a great deal of 'rust' around the rim. I have some very old Behr (7 or 8 years) that I'm not seeing that problem with. Wonder if that's what drove the move to the plastic lids...

Old 02-14-2021, 08:29 AM

6,356 posts, read 4,173,212 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seguinite View Post
I noticed that Behr has gone to plastic lids (at Home Depot, anyway). Also noticed that some of my Behr with the old metal lids from a couple years ago have a great deal of 'rust' around the rim. I have some very old Behr (7 or 8 years) that I'm not seeing that problem with. Wonder if that's what drove the move to the plastic lids...
Yes, the lids seem to rust first and another tip is to place a piece of Saran Wrap loosely on the top of the can prior to hammering on a metal lid. Ive used latex paint that the builder left in the house that was 9 years old and it matched perfectly, however it was in a 5 gallon plastic paint pail.

Old 02-16-2021, 10:42 PM

480 posts, read 622,995 times
I had a 5 gallon bucket of Behr paint that was 12 years old when I repainted 3.5 years ago. It was still great! I was told that if it was bad it would give off a foul smell. So it smelled like new paint usually does and its been on my house over 3 years. I really like Behr and its all I ever use.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House